Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad's considering the PHEV as they do mainly very short journeys from home and then occasional very long ones.

The range on electricity seems to be about 30 miles. Is the top speed limited? If you go too far does the petrol kick in?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Petrol will kick in when required, you do find in the winter with heating on that it uses even on short journeys.

·
Registered
233 Posts
In my opinion, either go full EV or don't bother.

It appears that they will likely get sick and tired of plugging it in and out constantly, and revert back to petrol.

The electric motor is not as powerful in the PHEV as in the EV

·
Registered
221 Posts
My dad's considering the PHEV as they do mainly very short journeys from home and then occasional very long ones.

The range on electricity seems to be about 30 miles. Is the top speed limited? If you go too far does the petrol kick in?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have this car. Range is on average around 34 miles but like all EVs system range will reduce if you hammer the car. The car does have a top speed but I have actually managed around 80 in EV mode which is quite impressive. However if you try to accelerate too hard then the petrol engine will kick in and because of it having a gear box it can be a little noisy. You really should also keep some battery power on tap as travelling with zero battery is a bit painful.

Look whilst i agree a full BEV is a better option (the PHEV was always an interim step for me) I have found the Niro so much better than just having a Petrol/Diesel because if you do mainly short journeys it is so economical (my last look at history my average was around 100mpg)I also do not find plugging the car in for a few hours when needed not that much of a pain but you do need a home wall box rather than try to use a granny cable (I only do that if away and that is all there is).

So if you want to put a toe in the water as to what driving an EV is like and are still to be convinced that is viable (which it is) then the Niro PHEV is not a bad way of doing it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts