Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I charge at home for my phev

I plan to go full electric.

but do you still need a wallet full of charge cards, or has payments changed over time?

curios

·
Registered
93 Posts
Instavolt, Osprey, Gridserve, Shell Recharge are all contactless payment. Look at zap-map and filter for contactless payment to see if there are contactless options for the journeys you are likely to be doing.

·
Registered
MG5
230 Posts
Electric juice from octopus covers a number of sites. You get it charged to your Octopus account so no pre authorization fees

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,572 Posts
All the rapid charging I’ve done (other than the initial testing it out) has been contactless payment. Instavolt, Osprey, Gridserve. Totally painless and app free. I’ve also used the octopus electric juice card with Osprey, as a test more than anything else as it’s kinda pointless with Osprey.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,740 Posts
I charge at home for my phev

I plan to go full electric.

but do you still need a wallet full of charge cards, or has payments changed over time?

curios
"Roaming" is now a thing.

Octopus Electric Juice RFID card covers:-
  • Char.gy
  • Ionity (with a 5% discount)
  • Franklin Energy
  • Osprey
  • Newmotion
  • Hubsta
  • Plug-n-go
  • Allego
  • Greenflux
  • EVBox
  • Alfa Power
  • Mer
  • ESB Energy
Zap-Pay app covers:-
  • Geniepoint
  • Char.gy
  • MFG
  • Revive
  • Mer
  • ESB Energy
  • Osprey

·
Registered
MG5 and Chevy Volt
1,303 Posts
Bear in mind all of the above info is for the UK, as that's where most of the members of this forum are located.

The OP seems to be located in Italy, according to the flag next to the username. Unless he's using a VPN?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,740 Posts
Bear in mind all of the above info is for the UK, as that's where most of the members of this forum are located.

The OP seems to be located in Italy, according to the flag next to the username. Unless he's using a VPN?
True, but would be interesting to find out if the overseas chargers belonging to ESB (Ireland), Mer (Norway) & Ionity etc. work with the Octopus card, though!

·
Registered
520 Posts
"Roaming" is now a thing.
Roaming has been a thing for ages! NewMotion (Shell Recharge) has supported it longer than those two you quoted (sadly with the VAT changes it is more expensive to roam on NewMotion than just charging on the original network).

I can't find a list of networks they support, so I've collated this with a bit of Googling and scrolling around the app (I've probably missed loads):

Shell Recharge/NewMotion
Allego
Osprey
Ionity
Chargepoint
Alfa Power
EV Box
Fastned
Franklin Energy
Gronn Kontakt
Char.gy
Ubitricity
has.to.be
Porsche
Virta

Edit: Just spotted the comment that the OP is located in Italy, NewMotion roams loads of places there too. In Italy I can additionally see:
BeCharge
Enel X
Go Electric Stations
Hera Comm
Neogy

·
Registered
520 Posts
True, but would be interesting to find out if the overseas chargers belonging to ESB (Ireland), Mer (Norway) & Ionity etc. work with the Octopus card, though!
I think so, as the map shows loads of points outside the UK. Italy is quite sparse, but I can see EVBox, Ionity and NewMotion points there on the map. Whether you can get one as a non-UK customer is another matter!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts