Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96D932FB-BC94-4B6F-844A-DFD35C9B8388.jpeg
61099A5E-D45D-430E-84C6-661ED1776F89.jpeg
Just found a brand new Pod-Point charger at the new Lidl that is nearly ready to open in Lancaster. Great for Zoe’s that can charge at 22 kWh!

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,282 Posts
Oooh very nice news! (Less nice for the Shell just down the road having just invested in a charger ;) but that is still good for DC cars in a hurry)

Funny how Lancaster has so quickly gone from absolutely nothing to practically the charging mecca of the North West. People in Wales can only hope for similar.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah its been very positive this year, Charge my Street have opened their first Charger at Lancaster Boys Club earlier this year and are opening their 2nd charger at The Boot and Shoe next week.

Still no news on when the Instavolts go live at Booths, not sure what the hold up is.

There is the existing Newmotion charger at DeVitre House which served me well while I was waiting for a home charger to be installed.

A couple of Chargemaster's in town but you need a Polar card for them so I can't use them yet, can't face paying £8 a month for the privilege.

But still my favourite is Lancaster Uni with about 30 free 7kWh posts distributed across campus, just stay away from the unreliable Pod-points at the LICA building, never had any luck with them, bit unreliable or maybe its just the demands made by the Zoe :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oooh very nice news! (Less nice for the Shell just down the road having just invested in a charger ;) but that is still good for DC cars in a hurry)

Funny how Lancaster has so quickly gone from absolutely nothing to practically the charging mecca of the North West. People in Wales can only hope for similar.
There's a Pizza Hut there as well so if you don't need any shopping you can always grab a Pizza while your charging :)

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,282 Posts
A couple of Chargemaster's in town but you need a Polar card for them so I can't use them yet, can't face paying £8 a month for the privilege.
Can you not use the Polar Instant app for those? I thought I saw people reporting success with it

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read the review for the App and decided against it. Its a shame that the Charge Your Car network hasn't come to the Northwest yet as I could use my card then, but to be fair as I live in Lancaster I'm only going to use the free chargers or charge at home rather than pay at a public charger but it will be useful for people visiting from out of town in their EV's :)

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,282 Posts
Paid a visit to Lancaster as we were after some things there, gave the Lidl Pod point a whirl and added it to Plugshare. Very good... pulled the full 22 no bother, just plug in and confirm charge in the app. Treated it like a rapid and stopped at 80 as we were headed into the town centre, but once the Lidl is open I'd happily wander about in there til it's full seeing as it's free ;) (unless anyone's waiting of course, which is unlikely up here right now).

Basically meant my trip there from Ulverston and back only cost about £2 worth of home charging.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A thing occurred to me when I was trying it is I’m not sure if the Zoe cable is rated for 22 kWh or not. I assume it is as I’ve not had any problems but I have heard of talk of single phase and three phase cables but not sure what that means unless they use thicker gauge cable or not. Anybody know the answer?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
A thing occurred to me when I was trying it is I’m not sure if the Zoe cable is rated for 22 kWh or not. I assume it is as I’ve not had any problems but I have heard of talk of single phase and three phase cables but not sure what that means unless they use thicker gauge cable or not. Anybody know the answer?
It is it's 3 phase 22kW

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it single phase 7.2 kWh and three phase 3 x 7.2 kWh = 21.6 kWh but both running at 30A?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It does up to 22kW - that's all that matters no? It's chameleon like the car - it can do owt from 3.6 to 22 and everything in between. As the Zoe is the only car that can do 22kW and will always do so even when CCS comes to it - the cable has to be. This is specifically the Zoe cable I speak of - others can as well I am sure but the car they come with can't do it

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,282 Posts
Is it single phase 7.2 kWh and three phase 3 x 7.2 kWh = 21.6 kWh but both running at 30A?
I think it's about 7.4kW theoretical (they're 32A units - 32x230=7360W) but with inefficiencies etc it's just stated as 7kW. The actual capability is just described as "32A single phase"

In three phase mode it's 32A (7.4kW) per phase to give you the 22kW

Worth a gander at the Wikipedia page for 3-phase power, but basically it's a way of delivering 3x the power with only 1.5x the wire so you don't need a massive thick cable. The one that comes with the car is 3 phase 22kW. Third party ones can be single phase 7kW or 3 phase 22kW, the 3 phase is slightly thicker and more expensive. I bought a single phase cable to leave plugged in at home (a pseudo-tethered charger, you could say) as that's all it's capable of so there's no point in having a bigger and more expensie cable there.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The European spec is 230 +/-20% but the UK hasn't changed from 240v, so the power is slightly higher for a given current.

When we bought a new cable for our untethered charger I just bought a 10m 32A cable, but in hindsight I wished I'd known to look for a single phase cable as it would have been a lot easier to handle!

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,654 Posts
What is Pod Points current obsession with 22kW AC all about?

Are they lieing to land owners telling them that most cars can rapid charge on them, even though the vast majority of EVs can’t charge at more than 11kW AC?

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,654 Posts
I would imagine anything faster than a 22kw AC post gets an awful lot more expensive so 22kw is a sweet spot between present (and future) performance and cost...
Except almost nothing can use 22kW AC... even new models are 7/11kW AC and anything more is DC.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts