Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a three month old 62kW Nissan Leaf. Delivered end of September so one of the early ones into the UK. Very late being delivered but it did finally turn up.

Since then, it has been a disaster! Totally freezes with EV ERROR (see EV Service Required - EVC-287 fault - Using Nissan Connect app whilst on charge). Towed to local dealer who can find nothing wrong. On fourth failure, taken to the Gateshead (apparently the only dealer in the UK who can do high voltage work.

And it's now been there for nine weeks!! Various parts shipped from Japan, each on c3 week lead times (apparently no spares in the even though Nissan manufacture here). No estimate when done as Nissan can't track when parts might arrive. And Customer Service just don't return calls.

Dealer has provided a 40kW loaner which whilst a nice car doesn't have the range I need - like I waited for 62kW for a reason. Apparently no 62kW loaners in the UK??

So I'm joining up the problems / delays in manufacture with the inability to service / source parts / fault find and wondering if there fundamental problem with the 62kW model? Any other experiences welcome?

Thx

·
Premium Member
11,618 Posts
Sorry to hear, but my advice is reject it under Consumer Rights Act 2015 tomorrow by email. Get your money back and move on. Very easy to do, lot of info on Web - example below.

Reactions: Rei

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Only problem with rejecting it is that you are going to be waiting a long time for another one and they will want the loaner back.

Just asking might get them to move a bit quicker though.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 38kW EV
126 Posts
Sorry to hear about the issues with your car.

I had a similar issue when waiting for replacement parts for my previous LEAF and raised the same question - since the car is manufactured in the UK, why don't they hold spares. The answer - Nissan follow a "just in time" source process, whereby all components are sourced specific for the car being manufactured. Any spares or replacement parts need to be sourced directly from Japan.

I think the reason for the lack of loan vehicles is due to the fact that the 62kW variant does not have the demand they were expecting it to have. It is well advertised that the price of the car is much too high compared to other long range EVs on the market.

Nissan Customer Care aren't always the quickest in responding; assume that you have a Case Manager / number logged with Nissan UK?

Yes, Nissan in Gateshead is where all LEAF that have any form of battery issue is sent to for investigation.

As others have mentioned, if you aren't satisfied with the car, then reject it. Or, if it is on finance, suggest to contact the Finance Company as they technically "own" the car and thus have a valued interest in it.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,727 Posts
The answer - Nissan follow a "just in time" source process, whereby all components are sourced specific for the car being manufactured.
Of course if they were following JIT then they'd also have a MaxMin stores system. :)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
This one tool me by surprise :oops:

the only problem I had so far with my 62 e+ is the infotainment rebooting while driving but this only happened a couple times since end of Sep.
I've done now over 8,500 miles without any problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don’t think there is a general problem. Mine was delivered in early December, took about 8 weeks from ordering.
Everything seems to work as it should.
I am sorry to hear about your problem. Surely you should reject it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
5,000 miles since October is good going! You must have done a few rapids. How does it perform if you do two or more on one trip?
I will be doing my first long(ish) trip this weekend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't trust the mileage on battery. I drive from my rapid charger which is 1.5miles away but it cost me 5-6 miles that's on eco and ebrake on. I rapid charge 5 nights a week. In 1hr you got less than 37kw which is ok but not brilliant. I haven't done a long trip yet. Good luck with yours and let me know my wife use it for work and done over 100 miles a day on the battery and I don't like going under 25% of battery

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
As above but...
Chase Nissan Gateshead directly for an update on it.
Then go back to the finance company if its on PCP or such and say you wish to reject the car and have your monthlies downgraded to £200 for 3 months to cover the fact you have had a 40kwh leaf not the 62kwh one as thats the rough going rate for a used one (you didnt get a brand new one given to you now did you ;) )
If the finance company is RCI then they may be able to help but aren't really the best at chasing things up themselves.

If it was self funded i would go for full rejection now. they have had ample time and attempts to repair it and your covered under the CRA.
in written email form to Nissan Customer Service, the Supplying Dealer(ideally the dealer manager/principle), and give them 5 working days to confirm the rejection.

Failing any response by the end of the given time i would get some nice big stickers made up for the current leaf and advertise the fact, especially if you charge at any nissan dealers, word will soon get passed up to nissan and they will progress it more as dealers wont want it on their turf covered in unreliability stickers :)

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I don't trust the mileage on battery. I drive from my rapid charger which is 1.5miles away but it cost me 5-6 miles that's on eco and ebrake on. I rapid charge 5 nights a week. In 1hr you got less than 37kw which is ok but not brilliant. I haven't done a long trip yet. Good luck with yours and let me know my wife use it for work and done over 100 miles a day on the battery and I don't like going under 25% of battery

37kw... was the battery cold? what rapid charger were you using? (DBT ones are renowned for not giving more than 40kw)
What charge level did you have when you arrived and charge too?
What % did you use of the battery to get home from the charger, the GOM(range-o-meter) is very unrelaible?!?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Another vote to reject. Even if they fix it you'll always have a little nag in the back of your mind and if the issue recurs in say 6 months time you'll have much more trouble rejecting it. Get rid now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts