Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • New BPChargeMaster dual 7kW post at Aldi, Bumpers Lane, Chester, CH1 4NT.
  • What3Words says it's at stud.ramp.movie
  • It's not showing on any of the maps I have access to, but the staff report seeing people use it.
  • I've filed a "new chargepoint" message with Zap-Map.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
  • New BPChargeMaster dual 7kW post at Aldi, Bumpers Lane, Chester, CH1 4NT.
  • What3Words says it's at stud.ramp.movie
  • It's not showing on any of the maps I have access to, but the staff report seeing people use it.
  • I've filed a "new chargepoint" message with Zap-Map.
Thanks, nice to know !.
Are they on "Free Vend" just "Plug And Play" or do they need an RFID card to active them do you know ?.
OBTW - The 20 year old original Aldi store in Chester St, Mold CH7 1LA is going to totally rebuilt very soon.
I have viewed the plans on line and it is having, what looks like two EV fast posts installed as part of that massive refurb.
Here you go.
BP Charge Master do we think ???.

Aldi Mold EV Bays..png

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks, nice to know !.
Are they on "Free Vend" just "Plug And Play" or do they need an RFID card to active them do you know ?.
OBTW - The 20 year old original Aldi store in Chester St, Mold CH7 1LA is going to totally rebuilt very soon.
I have viewed the plans on line and it is having, what looks like two EV fast posts installed as part of that massive refurb.
Here you go.
BP Charge Master do we think ???.

View attachment 132674
As I said above, I didn't actually interact with the post. There does seem to be an RFID reader there, looking at the pic.

Because the contracts will already have been signed, I'd say Mold will get BP, as will the brand new Aldi that opened last month on the Whitchurch bypass, by the the petrol station.

Newer installations will be Shell/Newmotion, but Aldi only signed with them last month.

I was at Flint Aldi last week (no chargers yet!), and there were four EVs in the car park - me, 2x grey BMW i3 & a black MG ZS EV. Not bad for a small town in Wales, huh?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
As I said above, I didn't actually interact with the post. There does seem to be an RFID reader there, looking at the pic.

Because the contracts will already have been signed, I'd say Mold will get BP, as will the brand new Aldi that opened last month on the Whitchurch bypass, by the the petrol station.

Newer installations will be Shell/Newmotion, but Aldi only signed with them last month.

I was at Flint Aldi last week (no chargers yet!), and there were four EVs in the car park - me, 2x grey BMW i3 & a black MG ZS EV. Not bad for a small town in Wales, huh?
I think Aldi in Mold are being very proactive in approach.
Almost every supermarket in the town are less than half a mile apart, but Aldi will be the only one to offer EV charging.
Where do you think the EV drivers will be doing their shopping from ?.
The others are missing a trick here !.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Not to derail the thread here, but try to avoid what3words. It isn't an open standard and it's also a bad way to share a location accurately. Their advertising is misleading as it gives the impression it is almost coming from the emergency services when it isn't. Much better to just share a link to the location from your phone map.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Not to derail the thread here, but try to avoid what3words. It isn't an open standard and it's also a bad way to share a location accurately. Their advertising is misleading as it gives the impression it is almost coming from the emergency services when it isn't. Much better to just share a link to the location from your phone map.

Thats all well and good but they still use the nearest postcode and have the W3W on the units helps.

All the BP/Chargemaster/CYC/Polar units like this as a minimum require either a Polar Plus Subscription or an activation charge on the Polar Instant App of £1.20p....

Beyond that the costs vary as some sites charge per kwh and others dont.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Also W3W helps a lot when your on the call to an emergency service and not as easily able to share your location in the wiles of the country side. 3 words instead of a long string of Lat/Lon co-ords

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Not to derail the thread here, but try to avoid what3words.
Danger of derail but I find what3words to be quite useful.

That hit piece you quoted is a technical analysis that uses misinformation to denigrate its usefulness. For instance, quoting random and sometimes inappropriate words for places like a mosque ignores that their carefully selected words only apply for a 3 metre square area in that mosque and that the eight 3 metre squares surrounding that particular square all have totally different words prescribed to them. As do the other 100 x 3 metre squares inside a moderately sized mosque. Disingenuous selection.

And to suggest that we don't use it because in an earthquake a square of land may move is really clutching at straws. Someone with an agenda wrote that hit piece. It's a very useful tool to pinpoint a precise location on a map and particularly useful when searching for a Rapid charger hidden in a large commercial zone.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Also W3W helps a lot when your on the call to an emergency service and not as easily able to share your location in the wiles of the country side. 3 words instead of a long string of Lat/Lon co-ords
That's what the advertising would have you believe. But the reality is that if you have a phone with you the emergency services can get your location more accurately than what3words. You don't need to say anything.

It isn't even international - it uses English words that can be confusing to non English speakers.

This is a closed system by a company that have no obligation to release the dataset. They also go after people with copyright claims on use of the data.

Something like Open Location Code would be better. It doesn't rely on language or a closed data set.

It isn't just this "hit piece" stating this. Look at the Criticisms section on what3words in Wikipedia, there are others.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
That's what the advertising would have you believe. But the reality is that if you have a phone with you the emergency services can get your location more accurately than what3words. You don't need to say anything.
That's simply not true. SARLOC requires you to have a data connection, not guaranteed. Cell tower location takes time and is inaccurate in low density areas. W3W is offline, and I can be armed within my location before even opening the call.

It's much easier than a 8 figure grid, which even someone with 44 weeks training can get terribly wrong.

·
Registered
609 Posts
That's simply not true. SARLOC requires you to have a data connection, not guaranteed. Cell tower location takes time and is inaccurate in low density areas. W3W is offline, and I can be armed within my location before even opening the call.

It's much easier than a 8 figure grid, which even someone with 44 weeks training can get terribly wrong.
AML doesn't though.

If this sort of geo system is needed, we don't need a closed one like this with the issues it has.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
AML doesn't though.

If this sort of geo system is needed, we don't need a closed one like this with the issues it has.
Sure, but it's also not mandatory on all phones yet and arrived years after W3W. Also, doesn't allow the user to input finer adjustments if they have a poor location accuracy.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Well, I find it to be incredibly easy to use and reliable. Last used to meet with a guy handing over a footy ticket at Anfield to meet him at the foot of the grandstand stairs. Try it. ( dream, palace, spot ) Absolutely foolproof and accurate to a couple of metres.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well, I find it to be incredibly easy to use and reliable. Last used to meet with a guy handing over a footy ticket at Anfield to meet him at the foot of the grandstand stairs. Try it. ( dream, palace, spot ) Absolutely foolproof and accurate to a couple of metres.
Yeah, no argument that it's simple.

But something like Open Location Code would be even more accurate, is an open standard, doesn't rely on correct English pronunciation, and isn't backed by a company aggressively protecting the dataset that could be gone tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
If you built and developed something would you not protect it?

W3W is easy to use and saves a lot of messing around. In native language countries it helps a lot.

For a car manufacturer to start taking it on board it has to be proven and easy to use as well.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Yeah, no argument that it's simple.

But something like Open Location Code would be even more accurate, is an open standard, doesn't rely on correct English pronunciation, and isn't backed by a company aggressively protecting the dataset that could be gone tomorrow.
Great, how long does it take you to commit a plus code to memory? Can you remember it whilst making a phone call? Why's it any better than an 8 figure grid?

·
Registered
609 Posts
If you built and developed something would you not protect it?
There’s other ways they could monetise this without holding on to the data and the method used to produce it.

I don’t think anyone should fund this company with this closed standard.

If you took this view how would you feel about the the lat/long system being protected and owned by one company?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts