Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spotted today a well-advanced installation of 8 Rapids at a BP station at J27 of the M6 near Standish. Fenced off by Heras and all units covered up but otherwise appears to be not far off going live - perhaps the usual long delay to get sufficient power there.

This hub would be a very welcome alternative to Charnock Richard and its flakey Ecotricity units and is only a mile or so south of there. This BP garage has a mini-market, toilet, and a Costa co-located. It is literally on the M6 a hundred yards from the J27 exit slipway in both directions and would therefore make a perfect exit/charge/coffee/re-entry plan when travelling in either direction. As well as being a very useful filling place for locals without drives.

I will call to try to glean some inside info from the staff there as to when it will go live and update here.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,104 Posts
Expect another network to announce they're installing a bunch of rapids at Charnock Richard a couple of weeks from now.
Re: Rugby Services get 26 Tesla/Ecotricity/BP rapids, then Corleys get 8 Instavolt (each way?) shortly after.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
A bit of an update on the M6 @ J27 facility that has sprung up like a bunch of mushrooms overnight. I called in and spoke to a guy who didn't know much except that they were awaiting the grid to install enough power to run the hub. He had been told it would be into the new year now. Other than that he had no technical details about the units. I noticed a very large 'lollipop' sign some 25' high had also been fixed at the entrance. It was covered in plastic but I could make out the MFG logo on there. The Rapids themselves are under wraps but they don't look like the shape of Polar units as used by Chargemaster. Quite tall and thin. Some 7' high. Much more like Ionity tbh. And as this is an MFG location they might not be tied to BP Chargemaster at all - just happen to be using BP at that particular site. Intriguing.

I popped into the facility, for the first time in six years despite passing here a dozen times a week, for obvious reasons, and found it to be an ideal charge stop. There is a Costa branded small sit-in area that also offers snacks and meal-deals. a well stocked mini-market, free wi-fi area with 6 x phone charge points, a free to use cashpoint, toilets, as well as the usual ICE facilities such as tyre inflator and water.

This is the location on the MFG webpage. The large 'pin' is a bit too far north but the BP sign on the map is actually where it is.

The eight Rapids have been installed to the right of the Marsden van in this googlemap pic along the parking bays there and backing on to the side road. Far enough from the 'shop' and distinctive enough to avoid being ICE'd.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,635 Posts
Had a good look on the Wigan Planning portal but can’t find any application. Would have thought they would need it for 8 Rapids, and even the tall sign you mentioned.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will these be part of this deal?

That was over three years ago though. And as independents, they are able to form partnerships with any supplier. In fact, MFG already has close links with Ionity as the Gretna Green Ionity site is on an MFG petrol station. And when that went live they announced plans to expand using Ionity to 40 other MFG sites.

These units under the covers are tall and slim. Like Ionity cabinets. I couldn't get closer than 6 metres to them inside the fenced off area and the covers are loose black fabric making it hard to tell the shape other than height. I don't remember any other shapes this tall and thin though, except Ionity. I may need to make a Ninja 2am visit to sneak inside the compound to solve this mystery.

But the Ionity website lists new installations currently in build - and this one isn't shown on there so this could well be Chargemaster after all.

We will know soon.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Planning application only just falls under West Lancs planning
Planning Application 2019/1169/FUL

Looks very much like it will be run by InstaVolt due to the model of charging station used
Support Info - Details of charging points

Edit: Just noticed that the plans also include a canopy for the EV charging area
Isn't it odd the way that Wigan and West Lancs boundaries are drawn there. A quarter of the large motorway roundabout is in WL and 3/4's is Wigan. Like a large slice of pie. And, as you say, this BP station falls into WL. I did look for planning but failed to find the correct search term. I can confirm that there is a canopy covering the eight Rapids - but not the parking bays.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts