Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I received an Audi A3 etron last week as a company car. So far I’m impressed, it drives very smoothly, my previous car was a Passat GTE advanced estate, but it feels nice being in a small car again.

As I get familiar with the car I wondered if someone could let know if it’s possible to turn on regen braking when in EV mode? I could do this in the Passat but can’t figure out how to do it in the A3 until I go into “hybrid hold” mode.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome to the A3 etron Froum.

If you are talking about regen when you lift off, then option is not in EV mode.
Having said that, when you put your foot on the Brake it will start regen.

Best way to regen is when you know you need to brake or slow down, using the Up Paddle Shift move to Manual Mode. In Manual Mode the car will regen, rather than coast.

·
Registered
95 Posts
One workaround I use is to set the cruise control to a much lower speed than I am likely to drive. When I take my foot off the gas the car immediately tries to slow to the cruise speed and regen kicks in (whichever mode I'm in). If you touch the brake you need to flick cruise again to re-engage it. Have a go and see what you think?

·
Registered
105 Posts
As I get familiar with the car I wondered if someone could let know if it’s possible to turn on regen braking when in EV mode? I could do this in the Passat but can’t figure out how to do it in the A3 until I go into “hybrid hold” mode.
As Getafix says, when you are driving in EV mode the car will not immediately slow down when you take the foot off the accelerator i.e. it does not immediately brake (like a dodgem car), instead it coasts - with the exception that if you are going or start to go down hill it will brake but only to prevent the car speeding up (too much).

As Getafix also says, when you press the brake peddle the car brakes using the electric motor until you demand more braking that it thinks possible by this route and the physical brakes are then engaged. If you look at the "Power Meter" you will see that when you brake the needle goes below 0% and into a region named "CHARGE" (don't think "...of the Light Brigade" here!) before the last three dashes, while the needle is in this region you are in regen braking mode, if it goes below the "CHARGE" region then you are into physical braking. Fun to try not to go lower than the Charge region and not crash!

NB: I don't find setting the cruise control lower is a very effective way of braking - it's too cumbersome for me, and the car doesn't slow down that quickly. Changing down using the paddles to enter manual mode is much quicker but then you have to cancel the manual mode you've entered - however, I wouldn't put it past the car to use the physical brakes in tandem with the engine if you change to too low a gear...

Hope you enjoy your new (obsolete) toy!

Cheers, Stefan

PS: See also posts about B Mode.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts