Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, have just ordered a second hand Vauxhall Ampera Electron Pearlescent White 63 reg, I have been trawling this forum since considering and all of your comments helped me make my purchase as painless as possible.. So thank you all in advance for all the good advice and tips.

About me I'm 44 and have owned an Audi A2 1.4 TDI for the past 13.5 years (from new) and done 94k, at the time was the most economical car I could find. I want the Ampera because most of my journeys are less than 20 miles but want a car with a long range as and when required. Due to the kind of trips I make I am hoping that I will have the Ampera for another 13.5 years so it is kind of a big commitment for me....

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
Congratulations on your choice and welcome tp SpeakEV. There has been an explosion of Ampera purchases lately so you are in good company here.

When do get collect the car?

Derek

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I'm waiting (not sure if this is a bit silly:oops:) till I get my home charger put in which will be done on the 29th October by ChargeMaster so thinking Saturday 1 November.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Hi, I'm waiting (not sure if this is a bit silly:oops:) till I get my home charger put in which will be done on the 29th October by ChargeMaster so thinking Saturday 1 November.
You're more patient than I ever could be. Just charge it from a 3pin until you get the wall unit.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Welcome to the club !
I'm sure you will love it, especially if you are using it on electric most of the while :)
It has some quirks, but you will get used to them quite quickly ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi thanks for the welcome and the input folks, question, my house is less than 10 years old so am I right in assuming that if I use the 6a charge from the brick (think thats the correct terminology) that it will NOT blow my circuit board, I've got solar PV as well which is one of the reasons I was being careful...

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Hi thanks for the welcome and the input folks, question, my house is less than 10 years old so am I right in assuming that if I use the 6a charge from the brick (think thats the correct terminology) that it will NOT blow my circuit board, I've got solar PV as well which is one of the reasons I was being careful...
In theory you should be fine, even at 10A. Do you have a separate circuit for your garage electrics ? Probably best to plug into that initially, at least if it trips the fuse, it's only the garage in the dark ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,892 Posts
The best answer is NO, its not safe to assume anything. When we first got the Volt and had to use the "brick" for the first few charges we charged in the day and made regular checks to look for overheating.
In all honesty it SHOULD be perfectly safe but if you house was jerry built or DIYed then there could be a problem that you won't know about until the fire starts.

Sorry if that sound scary, 99.9999% of people who charge with the brick never even think about it and if everything is OK it is perfectly safe.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I do have a separate trip in the garage but my only concern is that as my garage is not physically connected to the house the wiring may not be up to the power required, I have seen a thick black cable that runs under the ground to the garage and as previously stated it is a fairly new house so hopefully will be okay, but as I err on the cautious side think I'll wait unless Chargemaster let me down then I'll take the chance as I have to buy the car by 1 November..

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I watched an official video on a YouTube where some Vauxhall person said that the brick would only let you charge if it thought it was safe (but can't imagine a charging lead being that intelligent) ;)

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Just charge when you are present, keeping to 6a at first and just check the temp of the plug and cable. Heck, you can just run it like a Prius initially.

·
Super Moderator
5,892 Posts
Yes I do have a separate trip in the garage but my only concern is that as my garage is not physically connected to the house the wiring may not be up to the power required, I have seen a thick black cable that runs under the ground to the garage and as previously stated it is a fairly new house so hopefully will be okay, but as I err on the cautious side think I'll wait unless Chargemaster let me down then I'll take the chance as I have to buy the car by 1 November..
Thick Black cable sounds like an armoured so SHOULD be up to the job, what power is the trip in the garage?
Don't let my post put you off charging from the brick, as long as your wiring is 100% you won't have a problem, but it is still safer to check whilst you are awake and can keep an eye on things.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the advice chaps, I do want to get it asap as I suffer from the am I doing the right thing jitters, i.e. bit like quitting smoking :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
It sounds like you'll have a small consumer unit in the garage that supplies power to the lights and sockets via separate MCBs. What are the current limits on those MCBs?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi there, this is getting very technical for me, one says NSB06 and other say NSB16 - basically all I have on in there at the moment is a strip light (only turned on as required) and the other is a power point, I have had a fridge freezer running and also a tumble dryer running but they are only turned on as and when required - i.e. not on a the moment - sorry if this is a great stab in the dark...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts