Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a two-year old Titanium White Ampera about a month ago with 19K on the clock. I'm spending about £30/month on fuel which is a fraction of what I used to pay.

My daily commute is 38 miles each way and I noticed that we had some charging points at work. After a quick calculation in Excel it was a no-brainer to buy the car (loan cheaper than old fuel costs).

To be honest, as a die-hard diesel BMW owner, with my foot-to-the-floor usually for the whole journey ;), it was a bit of a shock coming to terms with sub-70 driving! Still, I'm enjoying the lifestyle change and now realised that my speed was just a habit.

It's also good to see that even after two years, folk still look surprised when the car glides past. I think it's something to do with the fact that they hear the stereo but not the engine noise.

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
I bought a two-year old Titanium White Ampera about a month ago with 19K on the clock. I'm spending about £30/month on fuel which is a fraction of what I used to pay.

My daily commute is 38 miles each way and I noticed that we had some charging points at work. After a quick calculation in Excel it was a no-brainer to buy the car (loan cheaper than old fuel costs).

To be honest, as a die-hard diesel BMW owner, with my foot-to-the-floor usually for the whole journey ;), it was a bit of a shock coming to terms with sub-70 driving! Still, I'm enjoying the lifestyle change and now realised that my speed was just a habit.

It's also good to see that even after two years, folk still look surprised when the car glides past. I think it's something to do with the fact that they hear the stereo but not the engine noise.
Hi Russ and welcome.

You sound like you a very similar decision to me. My commute is 30 miles each way and I can charge at work as well. As with you, loan to buy the car is less than I was spending on diesel for a 7 & 1/2 year old car.

It is quite a change in driving style but well worth it. And it really makes you wonder why you bothered haring about the place when you usually end up pulling up at a roundabout or the next set of lights beside or close to the guy that went flying past you a few minutes ago.

I hope your new Ampera gives you years of service. I'm loving mine!

Derek

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
It has really made me realise how stressful driving can be when you feel the caveman urge to compete against the ubiquitous Senna wannabes. EV driving gives you a safer and more rewarding 'game'.

As you say Derek, it's so much more relaxing gliding up to the same set of lights or roundabout...regenerating energy as you do so, rather than burning energy/heat.

Reactions: Derekosb
1 - 4 of 4 Posts