Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, so cool to drive my new Ampera, a bit of a pain figuring out how to charge it in public. Lots of different cables, suppliers, cards to apply for etc...HELP!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Hi all, so cool to drive my new Ampera, a bit of a pain figuring out how to charge it in public. Lots of different cables, suppliers, cards to apply for etc...HELP!
Welcome to the club.
Charging in public really only makes sense if you are stopping somewhere for 4 hours or more.
But basically you need a type 2 to type 1 cable, which is around £150.
Depending on where you live, cyc is probably a good card to start with.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,384 Posts
It's a nice idea, charging in public, but very over-rated for the Ampera. Quite unnecessary. I've tried and failed several times and really can't be bothered any more even asking. It's a waste of my life.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I beg to differ.

@Maerve Joel just head over to the Ampera section and read some of the threads. No point in going over it all again. The 'related threads' function works really well.

Welcome along....:)
Thanks, I've in fact, spent some time reading other related threads on this, but quite frankly got more confused. To begin with, I had no idea the Ampera could not take fast charge and then the charging stations i've found have their own cables that wont fit into my Ampera.

·
24,384 Posts
the charging stations i've found have their own cables that wont fit into my Ampera.
These are rapid charge points and useless for Ampera.

You need on-street/car-park type destination charge points, if you are going to use public charging at all. These offer a special socket you can plug a lead into. You have to buy the lead, called a 'Type 2 to Type 1'. You'll charge at a rate of around 10 road miles per hour of charge.

TBH, it is really not worth doing in the Ampera, unless you are charging a big chunk of the battery every day, eg. at work on the same commute, so you get into a routine.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Thanks, I've in fact, spent some time reading other related threads on this, but quite frankly got more confused. To begin with, I had no idea the Ampera could not take fast charge and then the charging stations i've found have their own cables that wont fit into my Ampera.
As mentioned by @donald you need to look for 7kw type 2 posts. They take 4 hours to fully charge the Ampera battery, and you have to supply your own cable.
Ideal if you will be visiting somewhere for over 4 hours, but not suitable for 'on route charging'.

·
24,384 Posts
@donald Challenge accepted! But how did you do it? Driving at 30mph on the motorway?
As described in the post. Nothing more.

(Perhaps I do my hypermiling skills a disservice by saying that! #modest :cool: )

Real, honest-to-goodness on the motorway normal commuting stuff. Mid 50s seemed normal over summer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This isn't about functionality, but I have had difficulty folding the driver-side mirror of my Ampera. The passenger-side mirror folds, with some mild force, but I've never been able to fold the driver side mirror, and I'm concerned not to use too much force and break it.

·
24,384 Posts
I have exactly the same thing. Garage said they'd swap it out under warranty, but I suspect I'll not get around to doing that in time. I can fold mine with a bit of a shove, so not an earth shattering issue. Get thee to the dealer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have exactly the same thing. Garage said they'd swap it out under warranty, but I suspect I'll not get around to doing that in time. I can fold mine with a bit of a shove, so not an earth shattering issue. Get thee to the dealer.
A bit of a worry that i can't even find a dealer's location for the Ampera from Vauxhall's website! :(

·
Registered
1,328 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Here's my ticket into the 60-mile club. Realised this doing 54mph between Bristol and Reading...
Over half a gallon to do less than 20 miles? Was there a bit of crafty hold going on here? @donald would have got to Scotland on less ;-)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Over half a gallon to do less than 20 miles? Was there a bit of crafty hold going on here? @donald would have got to Scotland on less ;-)
Crafty hold? Necessary hold, I would say. Hilly parts of the trip got the HOLD!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts