Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

New and EV in Scotland public charge questions

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Sandy 
#1 ·
Can anyone advise, probably those who travel to or live in Scotland, which cards/ systems I should sign up with please?

ive got a bmw i3s on order and I have registered with chargeplacescotland and paid £20 for the RFID card.

I see there’s a system run by Polar? But that’s £7.85 per month by direct debit. I’d only do that if it’s worthwhile doing so.

Will my charge place Scotland card cover polar points as well?

Are there any of cards I should apply for now?

I intend to get a pod point or similar installed at home but that might take a little longer to arrange. There appears to be two 22kw public chargers near me and 2 7kw.

any advice warmly welcomed to get me up the learning curve quickly
:)

#5 ·
As others have said ChargePlace Scotland gets you the vast majority of charging in Scotland.

Instavolt are expanding, but they just use your normal contactless credit or debit card. There are a few Polar, primarily in the central belt. If you're looking for a rapid charger near in/near Edinburgh I found them much less busy than the CPS chargers which often seem to have a queue of taxis. You can use an app to get them going (Polar Instant) and in time they should all be able to use contactless bank card, although I'm not sure of the timing. I was going to say Podpoint is fairly rare, but there are quite a few going in at big Tescos.

With regards apps, people seem to use Plugshare more than Zapmap in Scotland.

#6 ·
Can anyone advise, probably those who travel to or live in Scotland, which cards/ systems I should sign up with please?

ive got a bmw i3s on order and I have registered with chargeplacescotland and paid £20 for the RFID card.

I see there’s a system run by Polar? But that’s £7.85 per month by direct debit. I’d only do that if it’s worthwhile doing so.

Will my charge place Scotland card cover polar points as well?

Are there any of cards I should apply for now?

I intend to get a pod point or similar installed at home but that might take a little longer to arrange. There appears to be two 22kw public chargers near me and 2 7kw.

any advice warmly welcomed to get me up the learning curve quickly
:)

CPS is the only card you'll need in Scotland.

Sadly, you've joined the EV train just as most Scottish councils are introducing their own (very different) flavours of charging for charging. So expect the biggest minefield to be knowing what each charger will cost you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.