1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
I am getting very wary of announcements of new battery tech that will be cheaper, faster to charge and hold more energy per volume and/or mass than existing batteries. The reason is that I have seen many of these over the last few years and they are always a few months to a couple of years from production. So far they all seem to have vanished.

Of course I really hope this one does happen - but I would also be willing to bet that the company's stock looks great today (nice of you own lots of it... especially if you want to sell some).

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am getting very wary of announcements of new battery tech that will be cheaper, faster to charge and hold more energy per volume and/or mass than existing batteries. The reason is that I have seen many of these over the last few years and they are always a few months to a couple of years from production. So far they all seem to have vanished.

Of course I really hope this one does happen - but I would also be willing to bet that the company's stock looks great today (nice of you own lots of it... especially if you want to sell some).
Agree and share your hesitation Matt. Am a little more hopeful with this because they claim to be ready for production so we will know for sure soon. And it seems incremental....using the chemistry we know....just changing the anodes which we know to be a limiting factor in current tech.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
I am not sure that the double-carbon system helps with either dendrite formation or electrode degradation due to swelling and shrinking each cycle. I have not yet seen any discussion of these factors.

Also - they keep saying that it charges 20 times faster than any existing lithium ion battery and that this means charging a Leaf in 12 minutes. That means that it is currently impossible to charge a Leaf in less than 4 hours!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well....time will be the test! I remember people on the yahoo ev discussion list years ago being doubtful of having ev's with a range of 100 miles plus. Most of the time they were right to be doubtful.....!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts