Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 BMW i3 120Ah / '20 Hyundai Kona 64kWh
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just stumbled across this in the Apple App Store.... shows my i3 ok, but I have not really tried out the functions yet.

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Only real change / addition seems to be charging history:

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm - seems like it doesn’t show any details about the last journey (or average consumption etc) ....at least I can’t see it

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
407 Posts
So, have you found out whether this is designed to replace the BMW Connected app that has worked well over the years?
I see there is a similar My BMW app for Android.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
389 Posts
So, have you found out whether this is designed to replace the BMW Connected app that has worked well over the years?
I see there is a similar My BMW app for Android.
The BMW Connected app never worked well. It was always a hit and miss affair.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The BMW Connected app never worked well. It was always a hit and miss affair.
It has always worked well for me. Maybe the problems you have had are the reason for a fresh start, but as yet My BMW is just the basics and lacking in the feature set provided by BMW Connected.

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like this new app will eventually replace the Connected app, once all existing features have been replicated (hopefully).

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I first got my i3 (about 18 month ago), the (iPhone) Connected app was very troublesome. Then it went through for a phase of being ok for a bit and then troublesome for a bit. Recently it’s been pretty solid for me, and I noticed they seemed to update the charging schedule screen in the iPhone app so it could actually be used to set the off peak times properly. From the available documentation about this new app, it sounds like a key aim is to improve reliability and speed (perhaps rather than adding a load of new features from the outset).

·
Registered
780 Posts
Loaded the new app and it looks good but missing functionality at present e.g. destinations for SatNav. Also it says that the GPS function is not set in the car so it can’t track its location but the old app works fine! Will see how it goes.

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm hoping the new app will be receiving regular updates - it has already been updated twice since launch 3 months ago.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Worked well? Lol! It's awful.
What problems have you had? It has worked well for me. Currently the replacement is lacking many features and from the info above it has been available for over three months. A very poor replacement, if it takes that long to provide such limited performance.

·
Registered
133 Posts
What problems have you had? It has worked well for me. Currently the replacement is lacking many features and from the info above it has been available for over three months. A very poor replacement, if it takes that long to provide such limited performance.
IT often fails to connect, gives wrong info about location and charge status and gives completely different information from the web interface. Apart from that it's great 😡
Check out all the 1 star reviews on Google Play!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
389 Posts
IT often fails to connect, gives wrong info about location and charge status and gives completely different information from the web interface. Apart from that it's great
Check out all the 1 star reviews on Google Play!
Yep, that was my experience with it. It would work fine for a while, and you thought that BMW had finally got it working properly, and then you were disappointed.
The car was checked a number of times, and a number of cases were opened by BMW into the issues with the website and Android app, and that was the last I ever heard from them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Still, you can always count on getting plenty of popups asking you to rate the app. Wonder what they did with all the 1 star ratings I gave them. It really is an embarrassingly botched effort from a supposedly premium car maker.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Still, you can always count on getting plenty of popups asking you to rate the app. Wonder what they did with all the 1 star ratings I gave them. It really is an embarrassingly botched effort from a supposedly premium car maker.
The average rating on Google play is 4.1* , which is very high. This suggests that the number of 1* ratings like yours must be very low. It points to individual vehicle/account issues or BMW's handling thereof rather than any issues with the app itself. We have completely different experiences as I have found it accurate and reliable over the years on both my i3s.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The destination planner (Map) was there when I checked today. Strange. No journey stats though but that doesn’t really interest me.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EV
389 Posts
I hope that this new app is more reliable, but I don't care any more. I now have the idiosyncrasies of the Kia Uvo app to deal with now.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts