Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm having a retirement bungalow built. At some point in the future I'm sure to get an EV. Should I install a charger now or get the builder to lay conduit for retro-fitting later ?
i would definatly run a supply cable to your parking position, installing a charger without owning an EV would not benefit from the £350 grant, but then the grant will probably have been phased out by the time EV ownership becomes mainstream...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
You need ideally a cable laid, separate consumer board and isolation switch inside and external earthing rod plus earthing cable to the proposed site of the charging point. Then it can be added easily later.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
I'm having a retirement bungalow built. At some point in the future I'm sure to get an EV. Should I install a charger now or get the builder to lay conduit for retro-fitting later ?
From the flag I'm guessing you are not in the UK, so the grant bit above wouldn't apply.

As you have no plans for an EV, so it's likely to be a few years, I'd just get a conduit (with drawstring) installed for now.
If you fit cables or equipment now they may have deteriorated and/or the rules and regs may have changed by the time you actually need something running, so you then have to replace some parts.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I'd go for a nice large conduit with space for even more cables later if wanted, and a drawstring, or even 2 for luck!
If and when you do get a cable put in, it's a good idea to include an Ethernet cable as well, to support any future smart EVSE that would benefit from this. Probably not worth getting an actual EVSE yet, until you know what EV you're getting, whether you want a smart one with solar-aware features, or flexible-charging-depending-on-electricity-costs-this-instant, that kind of thing.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,104 Posts
I'd go for a nice large conduit with space for even more cables later if wanted, and a drawstring, or even 2 for luck!
If and when you do get a cable put in, it's a good idea to include an Ethernet cable as well, to support any future smart EVSE that would benefit from this. Probably not worth getting an actual EVSE yet, until you know what EV you're getting, whether you want a smart one with solar-aware features, or flexible-charging-depending-on-electricity-costs-this-instant, that kind of thing.
Another reason for not getting the EVSE now, is that some cars include one in the price (eg Renault Zoe) & others often include them as a "launch offer" that seems to run forever (eg Vauxhall Corsa, MG ZS).

·
Registered
954 Posts
I used to think the same about drawstrings, but I saw somewhere that it's easy pull a drawstring tied to a ball through a duct using a vacuum cleaner. By the time the OP has bought the 60/80mm duct and wrestled with it, it might just be cheaper to throw some cables into a 600mm deep trench (10 or 16mm armoured, a few cat5, telephone, and fibre for good luck) just on the hope there's enough for future proofing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pulling a 6 or even 10mm cable through a conduit is a real pain. I would just run a cable 6mm now and then stick an outside socket on it so you can use it with a jetwash etc and then if you do get an EV all you need to do is change the breaker and stick the charging point on the end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.