Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I am considering buying a Tesla Model 3 long range in the next 3 months and would appreciate your advice. There are some basic things about the Tesla buying experience that I do not understand. For example
  • can I get a test drive?
  • can I get a detailed spec of features and equipment? For example, I would like a heated steering wheel and heated seats, but I cannot find where this is confirmed. I have a bunch of other questions too about little details that are important to me
  • I am buying through a company. Can I look at existing stock or must I order brand new for 2021 delivery?
  • If I buy from Tesla stock, do the new company car benefits still apply?
  • Are there discount coupons or end-of-year clearance sales to consider?
I have been watching this forum for a few months to see what experiences other Tesla drivers have. I already own a BMW i3S and understand the basics of electric car ownership. But the Tesla is another step. The i3 forum has been very helpful, so I thought I would ask here - what are the most important things to consider as a potential new Tesla owner?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can get a test drive, but you'll need to find a Tesla centre - most are inconveniently situated in shopping centres. It can all be arranged via the website though and is fairly straightforward. You are pretty much left to your own devices though - no salesman as such to try and ram it down your throat. There will be someone in the sales centre though but to be honest I already knew more about the car than he did so not much use. There are so many videos on YouTube - have a good look at those and you'll fairly quickly get a feel for what the car is all about.

In terms of spec, Tesla's pretty much come with what they come with - unlike a BMW where you can spend hours ticking extra boxes, with Tesla it is pretty much choice of model variant, paint colour, colour of seats, wheels and that's pretty much it. Seat heating is standard in the LR+. I think we'd all like a heated steering wheel but it's not an option (although some rumours say it is there, just not switched on and we may get a surprise update one day... I'm not convinced!).

On the Tesla website there is an option to buy from the existing "inventory" which is generally limited but depends on your colour choice etc as to whether they have a match for you. Don't see why company car benefits wouldn't apply if you bought from the existing stock.

Final question, generally no real discounts to be had but never say never! Good luck.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You can get a test drive, you can arrange one at your local tesla.
There are no added options as such, you have a partial premium interior which comes with the SR+ (which is a few disabled features and speakers), and a premium interior which is on the LR and P. If you click the "premium interior" you can see a full spec of the car. The only things you can customise is the colour, wheels, tow bar and whether you want FSD.
You can look at existing stock, as long as it is still a new car and you will be first owner then there is no reason why it is any different to ordering a custom one.
There are occasionally end of quarter discounts appear on the inventory, sometimes they are there, sometimes they are not. In the US they are offering free supercharging for a year for anyone that takes delivery of an inventory car, unfortunately it seems that doesn't apply here.

·
Registered
120 Posts
you can get a test drive.

if you go to the tesla mode 3 designer & click the 'interior' tab, you get a breakdown of the interior. I can see its a bit lacking in details about heated seats. For the Long Range the only option is premium interior though. So you get heated front & rear seats. There's no heated steering wheel.

You can buy from stock and company car benefits still apply. I guess the only thing to be aware of is the bik is calculated on the new cost. This wont really be an issue given stock are close to new price and bik is zero anyway at the mo.

end of quarter sales push is where you may get a chance of perks. for example, you get 1000 free supercharger miles ( with a referral code you can find on these forums ). Tesla doubled that at the end of one quarter. I saw some news about free supercharging for a year for this quarter end but this is in the US at the moment.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,562 Posts
You can buy from stock and company car benefits still apply. I guess the only thing to be aware of is the bik is calculated on the new cost. This wont really be an issue given stock are close to new price and bik is zero anyway at the mo.
As I understand it some of the used demo stock will also qualify as a new company car, if it’s been first registered by Tesla.

·
Registered
120 Posts
As I understand it some of the used demo stock will also qualify as a new company car, if it’s been first registered by Tesla.
Yes it does as far as I know. I guess my point was if you were somehow able to buy a model 3 performance through a company for a tenner, you'd still have to pay bik on the 55k. Crazy example i know :)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
23,562 Posts
Yes it does as far as I know. I guess my point was if you were somehow able to buy a model 3 performance through a company for a tenner, you'd still have to pay bik on the 55k. Crazy example i know :)
Yes, the BiK is based on the P11 value, regardless of what you paid for it. Hence it makes sense to 'buy out' the car if it gets to a certain age.

Of course the other benefit is the 100% write down allowance, which can be handy.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Also be aware, if not buying from new stock you will be getting this years model, MY20 most likely and really you should be aiming to get an MY21 with the newer spec, thicker front glass, auto close and open boot, heatpump heating system, dechrome.... Nice touches that youll appreciate when doing long trips or in a few years when it comes to selling on and people want these things.

·
Leaf lover
4,968 Posts
I have been driving the BMW i3 for the past 4 and a bit years and whilst I love the car the state of our roads locally I am weary of feeling the bumps.
My new model 3 is comfier, very light steering and whilst it looks a large saloon, feels like a much smaller car to drive, it's lovely. Only thing I have to get use to is getting down in and up out which is opposite to the i3.
Really like the rear camera which makes up for the bigger turning circle over the tight i3.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I have really enjoyed my i3 which is a really good upmarket small car. Great in the city - tiny turning circle, easy to fit into odd parking spots - and yet like the Tardis it is larger inside than outside. I wish BMW had developed a new model for the next decade. Not sure what happened there. It just seems that Tesla are so far ahead in really understanding what an electric vehicle should be and how it should behave.

But the buying experience is different. Not a lot of detail in the reviews or provided by the company. No config options - which sounds elegant but maybe means missing out on a few things that matter to me. Etc. Hence the request for advice to a newbie.

Thanks

·
Leaf lover
4,968 Posts
Yes, I have really enjoyed my i3 which is a really good upmarket small car. Great in the city - tiny turning circle, easy to fit into odd parking spots - and yet like the Tardis it is larger inside than outside. I wish BMW had developed a new model for the next decade. Not sure what happened there. It just seems that Tesla are so far ahead in really understanding what an electric vehicle should be and how it should behave.

But the buying experience is different. Not a lot of detail in the reviews or provided by the company. No config options - which sounds elegant but maybe means missing out on a few things that matter to me. Etc. Hence the request for advice to a newbie.

Thanks
Tesla are a breath of fresh air to the auto industry. No dealerships, this the price and what you get when you come to collect we hope will be better than you expected.
I test drove in September the model 3 awd and ordered start of October fully expecting the spec to be as the test vehicle.
Took along the proof of bank payment in person and the showroom was stuffed with new 3's all with the latest detail.
A week later we go to pick up our model from Chelmsford only to find we should have gone to Dartford. Things move so fast with Tesla it's no wonder the staff can't keep up, let alone customers tying done fine detail.
Another big difference to the i3 and my earlier Leaf , friends and neighbours reaction. With those two it was, so the Glover's have got one of those electric things, they must be mad. The Tesla gets the big thumbs up.

·
EGGY
1,690 Posts
I've had an i3 for 3 years and a model 3 for 9 months. I bought the Tesla for long journeys on the continent and it's great for that, comfortable, fast (no slower including charging than our previous cars to northern Italy) and so far fault free. As you would expect the car is optimised as an EV and that is a breath of fresh air. But it's a very different car to the i3 (which we have kept), I think a better comparison to the i3 is the VW ID.3 (lots of 3's here) which can be quite a bit cheaper. With the heat pump the model 3 SR+ looks a good option these days for many peoples needs.

The one thing I always say to people who ask is the tech will only get better, it's a guessing game but you would think that at some point Tesla will drop the 4680 cells into the model 3 and that should increase range and drop the price (if they pass the production savings on), but then you could wait forever for the latest tech.

I replaced my wheels and springs, camber arms. So far nothing but good things to say about it. It sits low but that's my preference so happy with that.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The spec is much more detailed if you look at inventory on Tesla-info.com as the manufacturing options are all listed where they are known

Its not true to say buying inventory means a 2020 model - both 2020 and 2021 inventory are listed at the moment, the 2020 cars typically with a discount.

You can buy any car through the company, new or used. The only thing you lose if you buy used is the 100% FYA, but as this is cash flow benefit, at the end of the day, you only set depreciation off against tax whichever way you go.

New and ex demo cars both qualify as New cars for the 100% FYA, cars count as new so long as you are the first registered keeper, or second with the first being the manufacturer (ie demo, loan car etc)

End of year discounts are now live and in the pricing -there is no further discount to be had.

·
Premium Member
11,644 Posts
Hi there. I am considering buying a Tesla Model 3 long range in the next 3 months and would appreciate your advice. There are some basic things about the Tesla buying experience that I do not understand. For example
  • can I get a test drive?
  • can I get a detailed spec of features and equipment? For example, I would like a heated steering wheel and heated seats, but I cannot find where this is confirmed. I have a bunch of other questions too about little details that are important to me
  • I am buying through a company. Can I look at existing stock or must I order brand new for 2021 delivery?
  • If I buy from Tesla stock, do the new company car benefits still apply?
  • Are there discount coupons or end-of-year clearance sales to consider?
I have been watching this forum for a few months to see what experiences other Tesla drivers have. I already own a BMW i3S and understand the basics of electric car ownership. But the Tesla is another step. The i3 forum has been very helpful, so I thought I would ask here - what are the most important things to consider as a potential new Tesla owner?

Thanks in advance!
The first thing to do is have a test drive, because if you don't like the car then stuff like heated steering wheel is irrelevant. Re the latter, it is a shame it isn't offered but there is an industry "challenge" in doing a heated vegan wheel! Tesla claim it has now been cracked and we will hopefully see at some point in the future.

There aren't as many Tesla sales/service centers as major brands, but hopefully one not too far from you and more are opening, such as Winchester. Test drives are also available at their retail outlets such as Westfield London.

The only discounts you are likely to find are for inventory cars and you need to be careful as some many be the older spec without heat pump, etc. There is also a risk some will have been rejected or returned, possibly with repairs to bodywork. Of course if it is a substantial saving it may be worth considering.

Do be careful with the hype around the 100% WDA allowance. It mainly benefits free cash flow because when you sell the car you will need to pay CT on the disposal. It doesn't actually save any money over buying a used EV and claiming 18% a year over 3 years - it isn't going to depreciate more than that.

Reactions: gnomen
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.