Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got the keys of our new Hyundai Kona. All good, except we’ve since decided to move house and so haven’t installed a home charging point.
I’m now not sure how I’m going to do this?!!
Please, what’s the most simple way to charge the car regularly until we move house in about 3 months’ time?
Jez

·
Registered
882 Posts
A local rapid, or if walkable a Tesco or Asda with a charger? And then a granny for the rest but make sure the socket is in good nick

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,660 Posts
Take a look on Zap Map and see what public charging options are available. Otherwise if you have fairly recent wiring then you could use the granny cable instead but it will be very slow to charge.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
When I was without a home chargepoint for three months I just used local rapids or fast chargers at the local council offices, depending on what was free, all within walking distance. I didn't have a granny charger then.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,097 Posts
We just got the keys of our new Hyundai Kona. All good, except we’ve since decided to move house and so haven’t installed a home charging point.
I’m now not sure how I’m going to do this?!!
Please, what’s the most simple way to charge the car regularly until we move house in about 3 months’ time?
Jez

Assuming it’s the 64kWh Kona, charging via 3pin will add just under 3% to the battery every hour.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Look for another EV owner locally, maybe you can share their socket. Some are listed on Zap Map, also Co-Charger.com
I live near a hospital, and a consultant who works there one day a week regularly pops her BMW i3 on my drive for a charge - she just texts me to warn she's coming, and drops me a payment to cover the elec used, after each visit

·
Registered
VW e-golf 35kWh
64 Posts
Recommend BP Pulse subscription for the cheapest charging. First three months are free so that would cover you until the house move.

·
Registered
65 Posts
the need of having a home charger if you own an EV is just a myth in my opinion. Just find the nearest CC charger and charge once or twice a week, like you would do with an ICE car.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Recommend BP Pulse subscription for the cheapest charging. First three months are free so that would cover you until the house move.
Just be aware of the new BP pulse pricing. It was 15p per kWh on the 50kW rapids. From 10/06 it's up to 23p per kWh.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq 38 2016 Leaf 30 gone
156 Posts
the need of having a home charger if you own an EV is just a myth in my opinion. Just find the nearest CC charger and charge once or twice a week, like you would do with an ICE car.
This is exactly what I've done for the last 5 years of owning an EV. I have no home charging and have easily survived with a weekly charge from a public rapid or the occasional destination charge on a public fast charger.

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
161 Posts
depends on miles you drive per day and convenience.
If I lived in centre of london the density of public charge points is very high.
Where i live it is low because most houses have off street parking, so people are expected to get charge points at home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts