Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Looking for some help in choosing my next car. I owned a 62 plate Gen1 Leaf, bought in Summer 2014 and sold Winter 2016. Sold partly due to decreasing range and the need for some extra cash for house deposit. Currently driving a nice 2014 C4 Picasso Exclusive+ with adaptive cruise, auto boot etc.

I'm looking to get back into electric drive and am toying with a couple of options. I have max £12k or £200 per month to play with.

I've looked at the following:

Nissan Leaf - presumably 24kwh Acenta or maybe Tekna
Vauxhall Ampera - looking at 13 or 14 plate under 50k miles
Renault Zoe - something around a 16 plate.

I have a short commute around 10 miles round trip but every couple of weeks I travel around offices (max daily mileage of around 60). My wife will have a Nissan Qashqai so have options for long journeys but would still like to use my car for trips to caravan 65 miles away (can charge there)

Any tips please guys?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,024 Posts
Personally I would wait a little longer and be ready to pounce on a deal. Let the market offerings guide you.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Demand is high and supply is short at the moment. A lot of people wanting both new and second hand EVs are pushing prices up.
A Leaf will do what you want, but the adaptive cruise control that you like isn’t available on earlier Leafs etc.

I’m going to go with Donald and suggest that you keep your current car for now and look around/test drive as many of the cars you like the look of until a good deal comes along on one that suits you.

If you ask the internet you’ll get 300 different ideas, none of which are yours.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
For the short journeys you do, adaptive cruise control wouldn't, on the face if it, actually appear to be much of a real benefit even if you do like it.
There aren't many EVs that won't do what you want especially since you have an ICE for any really long trips.
Anything but an iMiev and a Leaf 24 I'd say, especially if you are buying,starting with a s/h Leaf24 now, in a few years time might be struggling in winter on your 60 mile journey.

·
Registered
243 Posts
For the short journeys you do, adaptive cruise control wouldn't, on the face if it, actually appear to be much of a real benefit even if you do like it.
There aren't many EVs that won't do what you want especially since you have an ICE for any really long trips.
Anything but an iMiev and a Leaf 24 I'd say, especially if you are buying,starting with a s/h Leaf24 now, in a few years time might be struggling in winter on your 60 mile journey.
I’m still on a long wait for a Kona, but given my experience over the past 4.5 years with adaptive cruise in my Volvo XC60, I’d say adaptive cruise is brilliant on LOTS of journeys, however short. Use mine even if I’m diving 3 miles into town: I see it as an extra (not replacement!) pair of eyes. Only last night I was pointing out to someone how I hadn’t touched the brake pedal on a 20 minute journey......drive by thumb controls (shorten/lengthen distance depending on what’s coming up!).

I’m clearly under qualified to suggest the right vehicle for the OP, but from what I’ve read, you are probably correct about the Leaf24. Right now it feels like we are entering a short few years where range is improving dramatically, but the challenge with pricing now is that demand appears greater than supply. Hopefully that may ease off in 2-3 years!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts