Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up my Model 3 Standard Range Plus on Thursday. There were a few niggles including a poorly stitched rear seat which they replaced and some marks on the paint that they polished out. There was a mark on the front bumper which they are going to have to respray and today I just noticed a loud rattle from inside the front passenger door when I go over a bump. However, my main grumble is the panel gaps. There is quite a large step between the black trim between the 2 passenger doors. The part where the C-pillar meets the boot lid is also poorly aligned. The delivery guy said that these were within Tesla's tolerances and they wouldn't be doing anything about it which I think is shocking for a £43,000 car. The step up between the doors is particularly noticeable. There are other minor panel gap issues which I'm prepared to live with.
I've uploaded photos and wondered what everyone else thought?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,536 Posts
It is a Tesla...the question is what did you expect?

Anyway, sorry for the issues, hope you get them resolved to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,987 Posts
If you’re not happy, ask them so adjust the doors.

If it makes you feel better, you can walk around a Jaguar showroom for comparison.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
693 Posts
It's shit. Utterly unacceptable. This from a company that knows nothing about making cars, that thinks is acceptable. No need to go to a Jaguar showroom. Try Dacia. Or any other bottom-of-the-market brand.

Every Tesla buyer that accepts this level of quality cements the view that "crap" or "total crap" is OK.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,987 Posts
It's shit. Utterly unacceptable. This from a company that knows nothing about making cars, that thinks is acceptable. No need to go to a Jaguar showroom. Try Dacia. Or any other bottom-of-the-market brand.
Clearly you know nothing.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Looks familiar. Mine had similar gaps, but they were more obvious in chrome.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It is a Tesla...the question is what did you expect?

Anyway, sorry for the issues, hope you get them resolved to your satisfaction.
So, you just posted to troll him? Nice!

IMHO, that is a misalignment issue, and not acceptable. Should you not have mentioned this at the SC during pickup?

·
Registered
190 Posts
With Tesla it seems to be about getting the cars out to customers in any condition to get their numbers, with a fix it later attitude. They are doing damage to their brand. They are lucky they have a world class drivetrain and charging network, otherwise people would avoid them as the quality control on their cars is lacking.

Personally, I would reject it and give it them back. Thats not acceptable.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,963 Posts
You are within your rights to reject it if they will not rectify it. If you can't live with it take that option and buy something else.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I did mention it. They refused to do anything about it.
I meant mention that it is "unacceptable to you", and is in fact a deal breaker, and then hand it back.

To you and I and I suspect everybody on here, what is acceptable to them is of no interest at all.

·
Registered
332 Posts
It's so incredibly frustrating that Tesla is treating customers in this way. I genuinely hope it's not official policy to claim these misalignments are within tolerances, but merely the handover people having a bad day. So many people want the company to succeed because they are forcing a change for the better. However arrogance like this when the car costs £40k+ isn't going to help the cause.
Hope the OP can convince them to rectify the alignment issue as suggested above - I would also suggest to simply inform them - it might be within their tolerances, but not yours. I hope they agree and you get to enjoy the car, they are clearly incredible to drive and very desirable despite the known 'panel gap issues'!

Assume yours has the heat pump, double glazing and power bootlid?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's so incredibly frustrating that Tesla is treating customers in this way. I genuinely hope it's not official policy to claim these misalignments are within tolerances, but merely the handover people having a bad day. So many people want the company to succeed because they are forcing a change for the better. However arrogance like this when the car costs £40k+ isn't going to help the cause.
Hope the OP can convince them to rectify the alignment issue as suggested above - I would also suggest to simply inform them - it might be within their tolerances, but not yours. I hope they agree and you get to enjoy the car, they are clearly incredible to drive and very desirable despite the known 'panel gap issues'!

Assume yours has the heat pump, double glazing and power bootlid?
Yes it does. And apart from these problems, it's a fantastic car!

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
261 Posts
If I am in your shoes I will throw the keys back at them. Honestly this is shocking. A friend of mine just bought a VW ID3 and you cannot slide a hair between the panels. Germans are Germans, quality is absolutely impeccable.
Honestly, the more I am reading about Tesla's the more I am thinking that my next EV car will be German made.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts