Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Have my new i-pace arriving tomorrow (lucky me) any advice/tips? Have an e-golf already. Also wondering if it has carplay? Googled and it looks like it does, wondering if its through a cable or wireless? Cheers all.

·
Registered
402 Posts
In line with lots of discussion elsewhere on the forum...if you're not already on a cheap tariff, consider switching electricity provider to get the best possible rate for charging. You'll get lots of people recommending Octopus, yes referral codes are available but the real reason is they are incredibly good value. On their Agile tariff my average unit rate over the past month has been less than 4p a unit...compares to an average "best" price in my region of around 15-16p.

Prices have been particularly low recently due to lockdown usage patterns / weather but even in more normal times it's been great value. It's taken the average cost of driving my appallingly inefficient eTron from around 6p/mile to a penny or two - and that's without the bonus of occasional negative pricing.

Hope that the new car has arrived on time and lived up to expectation. I test drove an iPace (for nearly 1,000 miles 😜) and it was very good. Leasing rate changes drove me to the eTron, but for driving enjoyment, performance and handling there's no doubt the iPace wins (eTron better on charging speed, refinement and overall comfort I would say). Both great cars.

Reactions: Ir44

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both - great help, car arrived all safe and sound. I hadn't even thought about chaging, that octopus agile looks good so may cancel my fixed contract early to get it. Fancy sending a referral over? Looks like they aren’t installing smart meters at the moment due to Covid which is understandable.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks both - great help, car arrived all safe and sound. I hadn't even thought about chaging, that octopus agile looks good so may cancel my fixed contract early to get it. Fancy sending a referral over? Looks like they aren’t installing smart meters at the moment due to Covid which is understandable.
Thanks...👍...worth £50 each.

Top tip is that the Agile rate requires a compatible smart meter. If installation is delayed (likely with current restrictions), you can ask to go on the Tracker tariff. This gives you the average wholesale price (plus their margin), using an assumed average usage profile. Also available for gas if needed and it has been way cheaper than the average rate on standard tariffs.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you need any more 👍

·
Registered
280 Posts
While you are waiting for the smart meter you can figure out timed charging. Let’s just say it’s ‘involved’. ;)
Best solution I’ve seen to date was on here I think - recommending a mechanical clockwork timer.
It’s not often 15th century tech beats 21st century programming, but prepare to be amazed !! 😲

·
Registered
24 Posts
It might be worth looking at the EDF Gotarriff aimed a EV owners. This offers off peak electricity between 21:00 and 07:00 During the week, but also for 24 hours of off peak on Saturday and Sunday. They claim it is 100% renewal. This is clearly green wash as they have supplied me with electricity at night when no wind was blowing. The off peak charge is around 7p a Kwh. I love the flexibility over Octopus.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019
628 Posts
... They claim it is 100% renewal. This is clearly green wash as they have supplied me with electricity at night when no wind was blowing...
Either this is ironic which is unhelpful for a newbie, or you have literally no idea how the system works...

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019
628 Posts
...Fancy sending a referral over? Looks like they aren’t installing smart meters at the moment due to Covid which is understandable.
Not sure if you got one. If not:
share.octopus.energy/steel-gull-405

1 - 10 of 10 Posts