Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m due to pick my ID3, which will be my first EV, next week.

I‘ve taken a bit of a punt as I never actually got around to test driving the ID3, and to be frank, I’ve only ever driven a EV around a car park. Man that sounds like a dumb decision having written it down 😬 but hey, here we are 😆.

I’m presuming there will still be some residual COVID awkwardness to the hand over and I’d rather just get it home before playing around with settings and stuff than at the the dealer. It‘s about a 50mile drive home, mostly motorway (M25) and A roads and was wondering if there are any gotchas I need to be aware of? 🙂

The car that made way was a Tiguan and I still have a T5 camper so I’m familiar with general VW feel and orientation. It was apparently a week 9 build so I’m assuming it’ll be 2.1.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 58kWh
155 Posts
I'm quite similar profile: previous 2019 Tiguan R-Line DSG owner and took the ID.3 without even seeing one in flesh (not to mention the test drive). But mine is 2 years lease so if I don't like it's not a big deal.

Your 50 miles drive should be uneventful (unless there is a crash and M25 is blocked :LOL:). You'll probably get your car with minimum 80% SOC so this will see you with some 160-180 miles of range (assuming we are talking about 58kWh ID.3). So plenty to get you home. But to make you more comfortable download ZAP-Map and A Better Route Planner apps to see locations of the chargers.

As others said make sure the car has latest 2.1 software. You don't really need the app to drive the car and this can all be done while you are at home (there will be plenty to learn ;)).

Just enjoy your car and drive home.

Get mentally prepared for the weird gear selector.
Ha ha, it's been two weeks but I'm still reaching to the middle console after reversing :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
VW ID.3 58kWh
155 Posts
@cyclingaviator
And a cheeky suggestion :rolleyes: ;) to use my Instavolt code in my singature below to get you (and me) a fiver when you install their app and use the charger as they are one of the best.

Reactions: cyclingaviator

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I think the biggest gotcha is to worry too much about it.

I bought my Tesla model 3 having only sat in one once in the USA, never rode in one or drove one prior to pick up day.

Reading all the stories (be it tesla, be it VW, be it anyone else) about this, that and the other to watch out for and "gotchas" as you put it will simply drive you nuts and mean you don't stop to enjoy the moment. Enjoy it! Let yourself have that moment of excitement (assuming you are as excited to get it as I was for the 3) because as adults we don't get those feelings for birthdays or christmases quite like we did when we were kids. Relish it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I collected mine yesterday, after a brief test drive last year, had a similar journey planned, but ended up some smaller roads due to issues on the M25. The cars own navigation suggested the diversion and so I just followed that.

As others have said, make sure Auto Hold is on (the dealer kindly did that for me), check the software is up to date (version 0792 in the settings, AKA 2.1) and link it up to the app- worked first time for me.

Gentle on the throttle as you go (until you get to a slip road), and enjoy!

I felt comfortable enough to use 'travel assist' most of the way, impressed by it!.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have a gotcha in advance of collection...

Thought I was dealing with Listers of Nuneaton (that's who I called with my enquiry), 190 miles away from home - easy to do on a full charge if it's not Baltic.

My salesman is actually based in the Evesham branch - 240 mimes from home - I'll never do that without stopping.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
636 Posts
I would ask them to charge it to 80%.
Might be worth mentioning tyre pressures as they commonly seem to not check the handbook. Id3 needs higher pressures .
Obv check wheel lock nut and tyre inflator.

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well that’s handy, I’ve just had a call saying I can pick up Saturday instead 👍 That’ll be nice, I always enjoy the Dartford crossing on a Saturday 🙄, and probably more so the first weekend the shopping nightmares either side are open 🥺 😁

·
Registered
VW ID.3 58kWh
155 Posts
Done 👍
Great, thank you.
You need to do at least 10kWh charge to get it working as far as I remember. And I think you'll pay 30p/kWh instead of standard 35p/kWh rate when using app.

Obv check wheel lock nut and tyre inflator.
Not all ID.3s have tyre inflator prvided. If you have selfseal tyres like mine 19" GoodYears you won't get tyre inflator kit. You'll get small 12V pump instead.

Reactions: cyclingaviator

·
Registered
Kona64
1,865 Posts
Asking them " How charged will it be ?"
Pros --- they might charge it to 100% for you
Cons - you can't then ask them to demo how to plug it in, as it won't take a charge

If the dealership has a 7kw post don't be embarrassed to plug it "to see how it all works"
and if they don't offer to do so, smell a rat unless the car is at 100%

Being aware of your route home if the journey is over half a tanks' worth
- will you need to charge it up to get home if they give you less than half a tanks' worth
ZapMap will be your new best friend, check it out now if not already

Checking what cables are in the boot vs what you are expecting to see there

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great cars you’ll be fine!

Get ZapMap as already mentioned, and get to know where the 50kwh and above chargers are near you and on the routes you’ll regularly use. I think most ID3’s can take up to 125kwh charge speeds.

Do you need to get a “granny-charger” cable for home? About £180 from VW parts dept.

A home 7kwh comes in from about £600+ fitted incl government grant.

Maybe look at your electricity tariff at home too, just to check its in line with everyone elses pricing.

Eco mode actually does work and will give you a bit more range than Comfort (in my experience).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts