Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do prices vary up and down the country? Be good to here from members so people my be able to make some savings with a little helpful information.
March 2013 I bought two Mk 1 Leafs without battery lease with solar pearl white first owner 3 year service plan after grant 17k each, one for myself and one for my Daughter.
August 2013 my car gets hit hard in o/s rear, get a new Mk 2 Tekna Leaf on loan in white, solar, and 6.6kv 32amp charger loved the car and the changes although I already liked the Mk 1 anyway but the faster charger is a game changer you can go from 20 miles to 60 miles within an hour or so at home or out plugged into a 32amp point the heater great so are the headword seats, Bose brill, locking charging lead point good update, handeling drive braking all good improvements, range inprovement.
October 2013 my Insurance company said my car would be total loss so i ordered a White MK 2 Tekna in White, solar, 6.6kv fast charger and the car would come with a 3 year service plan no battery lease 20k total list price £30490.00 + solar option £260.00 + 6.6kv charger option £850.00 total price £31600.00 minus government grant £5000.00 = total retail price £26600.00 price discounted to £20000.00 20k car ordered, 10 days after ordering car insurance say they are repairing car (headache coming on) so come up with plan to talk with dealer change daughters Mk 1 she was well pleased Bose and leather heated seats Dealer offers £14500.00 for Daughters MK 1 fine job done was not looking to change but seemed a good deal. 7 days after the last comnication with the insurance they then say the cars gonna take 2 months to repair (OMG) on phone for next few days just got fed up and by this time Daughters car was ready to collect every fine simple transaction already had two future proof 32 amp chargers at home so no problems there, after using the new Tekna for some weeks i got back in touch with my insurance company and said enough i don't want my old car back no joy so after some heated words had exchanged they made me a cash in loo offer? thats what i thought, i went any talked with a couple of body shops who were very welcoming and for the work, found one that would do the work within 3 to 4 weeks max and for half the price what the insurance company was quoting, the body shop said go back to the insurance company and say if you want to wash your hands of it i will need a better offer 24hrs latter the insurance company almost offered double i could not believe it the shits anyhow true to their word the body shop when i told them they had already been in contact will Nissan as it was the first time they had repaired a Leaf regarding disconnection of the battery drive power no problems there and all the new parts would only take 7 day coming from i am sure they said Amsterdam? Money paid into bank from insurance company car at body shop and they said a 3 week turn around with a first class promiss before i pay for the job done. Knowing I would be in front with the money saved on the body shop price to the insurance payout off i went to the dealers again but they said they could not do the same deal so i shopped round, I was receiving all different prices to be fair but then one dealer said £17400.00 brand new Leaf Tekna first owner in white, solar and 6.6kv charger no battery lease WOW ordered but the dealer did not want my Mk 1 ? Ow dear the wife said OMG I THOUGHT but did not let on. New car coming next week and MK 1 coming from body shop next week OMG. My pal comes round how much? Don't know £13K 13 reg 6k miles suits me deal, so thats all sorted no thanks to insurance company and the driver with no licence insurance and not having permission to drive the car in the first place.
Any one done better on price ? £17400.00?
Shop around the Yorkshire areas I tried all round the Uk and Belfast without success.
Power on.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Interesting story but a frustrating one given the way you have been mucked around.

Just to be clear... Is that £17,400 on the road for a brand new, 1st owner, Tekna with 6.6kW charging, no battery lease?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting story but a frustrating one given the way you have been mucked around.

Just to be clear... Is that £17,400 on the road for a brand new, 1st owner, Tekna with 6.6kW charging, no battery lease?
Hi Paul, yes £17400.00 inc vat as it,s a private perchase, solar and faster charger 6.6kv which is fantastic makes so much differance, i paid £20k for same car same spc in November and i thought that was a good buy £1110.00 extras and at 20k. It pays to shop about.
I would not even give the BMW I3 a looking as for the perchase prices on the I3 are so high 4 seater and plastic tec to new, costly repairs more implications when repairing and repaid than a steel car. The cars only crash testerd at a overall 4 Leafs are a 5 and i can back that up i think the car did amazing in the rear end impact, the I3 inconparisions depreciation is going to be much higher if i look at 2k a year on the Leaf seems good to me.
Let me have your thoughts and get people to shop around its all about what you pay now then your loss or driving costs miles will be much less infact having free electric counterd in almost of sets everything compared to a fossil fuelled car.
Dont forget within my deal i still am alowed a loan car upto 14 days and asked a question at the dealers could i have a car for 20 days they said can not see a problem as i would be going to Europe.
Power on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Paul, yes £17400.00 inc vat as it,s a private purchase, solar and faster charger 6.6kv which is fantastic makes so much difference, i paid £20k for same car same spc in November and i thought that was a good buy £1110.00 extras and at 20k. It pays to shop about.
I would not even give the BMW I3 a looking as for the perchase prices on the I3 are so high 4 seater and plastic tec to new, costly repairs more implications when repairing and repaid than a steel car. The cars only crash testerd at a overall 4 Leafs are a 5 and i can back that up i think the car did amazing in the rear end impact, the I3 inconparisions depreciation is going to be much higher if i look at 2k a year on the Leaf seems good to me.
Let me have your thoughts and get people to shop around its all about what you pay now then your loss or driving costs miles will be much less infact having free electric counterd in almost of sets everything compared to a fossil fuelled car.
Dont forget within my deal i still am alowed a loan car upto 14 days and asked a question at the dealers could i have a car for 20 days they said can not see a problem as i would be going to Europe.
Power on.
No battery lease.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Come on price is the bigest issue surely start displaying owners prices paid then a picture will build up for everyone to take advantage of.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Paul, late next week i will post a photo i have an interesting plate for the car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well pleased with new Leaf, going to fit mud flaps this morning and chrome trim to doors all of eBay great prices.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,503 Posts
Mudflaps - poorer aerodynamics = less range
Chrome door trim - more weight = less range
You might end up walking the last few hundred yards one time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess you can really drive the car in your photo? The one with a astra engine in? Let me know know.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,503 Posts
Aye, I still have the car it has the Astra/Vectra 2.2 lump. Had it since new in 2001.
Wish I could get mudflaps for the Ampera, had them on every car I have had (only rear on the VX220).

I did see this for a contract hire on the Leaf tonight.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the turbo model it was great fun, better than a kit build by far, i sold it a pal years ago and told him to take car learn before you drive hard! Three days later over a curb and through a barrier, end of that he sill talks about it now don't think he will ever forget wrong way round on a dual carriage way.

On another point I bought the Leafs because of the challenge! No, I think overall it's a great car, it's a bit like preepaying for your mileage up front and it is great not having to put fuel in, I have the use of other cars so i did not want the Hybrid route, also after using the cars i could not see the point as i could only get around the 55mpg, i did not like the overall driving experience and i could get 50 to 55mpg out of a lot of cars to choose from , in the Ampera the drive was fine but again i did not have to think i could drive where ever i wanted too, it was a four seater and i had to fuel it, also the price was double of the 16k new 13 plate first MK 1 Leaf i bought. My point is why did you buy the Ampera?

Maybe a good one to ask others?

Regards

Garry

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,503 Posts
I bought the Ampera to try to keep my running costs down, excluding the purchase price, have a bit of comfort and my previous employers were going to install (probably have by now) charging facilities. My daily commute was 104 miles return and that is not possible totally on any electric car I could afford with charging at home. The ability to cover around 80% of this distance when charging at home and at work would have drastically cut my fuel bill. Visiting friends and family where there is no place to charge is still possible with the Ampera, I know that I could always take the 220 but it is better kept for dry days when you can have the roof off and an open road (and more than one passenger).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts