Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really new news, but it's on the BBC again:

Another little dirty secret of the mainstream manufacturers. Maybe they could get Tesla in to help them with their security? :)

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I wonder how long my new neighbour's new BMW will last? They were another brand that had cars go missing very quickly.

Insurers should be claiming back from manufacturers for these thefts. Might focus a few minds!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Definitely not
Not really new news, but it's on the BBC again:

Another little dirty secret of the mainstream manufacturers. Maybe they could get Tesla in to help them with their security? :)
Definitely not new news (as indeed was suggested) - story has been going around for a couple of years : good to hear the BBC have caught up.

A very simple solution is to keep the keys in a metal keysafe rather than on the hall table when not in use.

·
Premium Member
9,864 Posts
I used a small pouch off ebay with Ampera and tested it worked - once I put key in correctly! For Zoe I press button (on home driveway) so passive unlock doesn't work. So far, Model 3 bluetooth entry hasn't been hacked and we will take precautions if/when that happens.

We leave keys in hall as if they really want our cars they can break in and take keys without any risk to us. If stolen through forced entry our insurance will pay.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I suppose that it depends on how much you want to keep your car.

We never keep the keys in the hall. When our front door was broken into at 4am, the alarm went off and the thieves fled having searched the hall only.

Replacing the front door and adding some bollards to the drive was much less hassle than getting a replacement car that is no longer made (GTE).

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
My preferred approach would be to add a power switch to the key. No power means no transmission.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
adding some bollards to the drive was much less hassle than getting a replacement car that is no longer made
If all car were required to have "pin to drive" we would not have this madness, as stealing keys would be a lot less profitable.

·
Premium Member
9,864 Posts
I suppose that it depends on how much you want to keep your car.

We never keep the keys in the hall. When our front door was broken into at 4am, the alarm went off and the thieves fled having searched the hall only.

Replacing the front door and adding some bollards to the drive was much less hassle than getting a replacement car that is no longer made (GTE).
A car is replacable, I want to minimise risk to occupants of home. There will even similar age GTEs on used market to yours. With Model 3 I am not sure what we will do to protect it yet, but no reports of hacking.

·
Premium Member
9,864 Posts
My preferred approach would be to add a power switch to the key. No power means no transmission.
The motion sensor (in key) approach works well and can be a retrofit, but does make keys more bulky.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
In another thread someone posted a video of a mood to add a switch to a fob using a thing called a Battereed.
I'd do that if I could find the thing anywhere, but search engines insist on including 'battered' even when told I don't want that.

·
Registered
647 Posts
There is absolutely no reason why keys can't include a motion sensor to disable keyless when it hasn't moved for a few seconds. It would add well under a pound to the cost of the key.
It also surprises my that all keyless systems can't be set to disable keyless if the car is locked via the keyfob button. this would add zero cost and could be retro-implemented in the car's software.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
And/Or a use the GPS so the button must be pressed when the car is at home, maybe allow keyless if the button has been used in the last 30 minutes to pre [heat|cool] the car.

However I still think one of the best options is to require all new cars to have a "pin to drive" in addational to the systems they now have.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

1 - 20 of 29 Posts