Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More good news.
A project to install 150 on-street charging points in Lancashire is nearing completion. Lancashire County Council say that EV drivers will be able to plug in at "most" of the County's town centres. And last week saw the opening of a charging "super hub" at the Park and Ride near Junction 34 of the M6 at Lancaster. The chargers are a mix of both 7kw and 50kw. Details in my local rag are somewhat sketchy, but perhaps there may be more information available from Lancashire CC?

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
This is very conveniently placed right alongside the M6 at J34 at an existing park and ride facility there. Easy to access from North or South but doesn't seem to have toilets or coffee stalls. Also, as it's trapped between the M6 and the N exit sliproad there is nowhere to go when charging unless you take a bus to town for toilet and food. That would make me select a motorway service station instead for a rest and charge break.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Well you could always walk 10min down the road to Maccy D’s or lovely walk down by the river Lune if it’s a nice day ;)

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,752 Posts
Aw come on! You must remember walking. It's that ancient method of propulsion people used before cars were invented.

Mind you, if your left leg has atrophied like mine after years of EV driving, it might no longer be possible. You do need two legs to do it properly, I believe.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same problem here after driving automatics Tom. You have to force yourself to use the left leg, otherwise you end up walking in small circles......

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Leg exercises I the car on long trips! Try it after driving Manchester to Alicante on your own in an auto in 4hr stints ?? and back again 2 and a bit weeks later lol

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Two problems for me there Kingpleb.

1. If anyone saw me driving a Mercedes they'd probably think I stole it.
2. I've never held a passport, and have no desire to.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Or go to Carnforth Booths, toilets, cafe etc with 2 x Instavolt. Even Garstang Booths with services, a bit further drive alongside the M6.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Two problems for me there Kingpleb.

1. If anyone saw me driving a Mercedes they'd probably think I stole it.
2. I've never held a passport, and have no desire to.
I was driving a £525 Volvo V70 estate lol
Or go to Carnforth Booths, toilets, cafe etc with 2 x Instavolt. Even Garstang Booths with services, a bit further drive alongside the M6.
Instavolt are twice the price mind but I agree on the toilets and cafe being missing from charging hubs

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not sure where I got the Mercedes from Kingpleb.......... it isn't a car I'd buy personally. I prefer cars that don't shout/stand out. My grey Golf fits the bill well.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Just like me! Although I have had a white car and an orange at one point they were buggers to keep clean and did make it easier to find in car parks...

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Be aware ALL chargers currently blocked as a group of travellers have moved into the car park on mass.
Oh joy!
Is this a sign of things to come?

Maybe this is an advantage of having smaller sites and not hubs? Gives people less space to take up...

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,528 Posts
Be aware ALL chargers currently blocked as a group of travellers have moved into the car park on mass.
That sucks now barrier access adds to cost and inconvenience for unmanned hubs, guess all over the park and ride?

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Maybe this is an advantage of having smaller sites and not hubs? Gives people less space to take up...
I suspect that this travellers invasion is linked to the annual Horse Fair at Appleby, just North of Lancaster, which is normally held in the first week in June. I live a bit to the South of Lancaster and every year we get similar but smaller congregations for a day or so as they stay overnight on their travels.

As they get nearer to their destination these smaller groups link up to form larger congregations and need more space. This 'Park and Ride' car park would be ideal for such a staging point as smaller groups begin to arrive from all points of the compass. The fact that the Horse Fair has been cancelled this year will mean nothing to these people who have always lived outside of most normal laws. They will probably still organise an unofficial gathering and will move on soon to travel the last few miles into the local hills at Appleby.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts