Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Do you think you know a potential chargepoint host site in your area?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're looking for people to suggest new sites that they think would make good host chargepoint locations throughout the North West.

Charge My Street, a community benefit society that installs and maintains EV chargepoints has managed to raise £130,000 from their recent share offer and, along with funding from Innovate UK, are looking to fit 100 new chargepoints at willing sites for free.

All we need is for members of the public and site owners to suggest sites to us via the Charge My Street website. You can do this at www.chargemystreet.co.uk/host

The only criteria that a site must meet in order to be eligible to receive a chargepoint are:
  • It must be covered by 4G or have good open broadband
  • It must have space for two EVs to park and charge
  • It must be accessible to the public
  • It must be close to residential areas that do not have driveways for EV owners to charge in
Charge My Street's goal is for every home to be within a 5-minute walk of a chargepoint to encourage more people to make the switch from petrol and diesel cars. It's all very well putting chargepoints at motorway service stations and supermarkets but what about those who live in the inner city or in rural villages. Installing and maintaining public chargepoints in locations like the local pub car park or outside the church hall is how Charge My Street are improving the public's confidence in the chargepoint network.

For more information, you can see the process by which Charge My Street install chargepoints on our YouTube channel.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Rich
Yes that would be extremely helpful after a hard day's walk on the fells! We're in talks with some of the larger land owners of the region to hopefully install a few 22kw chargers on their sites so your Zoe will definitely benefit! We are concentrating on residential areas just to try and entice more people to switch on to EV driving in the region but certainly a more general upgrade in all areas is the dream.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Given the number of visitors to Blackpool there's an absolute derth of charging facilities.

Plenty of private and council parks across the Fylde Coast as a whole, that could take advantage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We have no public chargers at all in Macclesfield, there can't be many towns the size of Macclesfield in the North West with no chargers.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Bentham in North Yorkshire is technically in Lancashire, it even has an LA2 postcode, lots of residents living in terraced houses and has a lot of transient visitors for the markets and the large Factory sited there, Angus Fire, might be a good spot.

Used your Broughton in Furness charger last Sunday, thanks for providing it, you just need to get the Mini that ICEs the 2nd parking spot to park somewhere else :)

Train station might be a good parking spot even has 4G mobile coverage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Given the number of visitors to Blackpool there's an absolute derth of charging facilities.

Plenty of private and council parks across the Fylde Coast as a whole, that could take advantage.
You aren't wrong about Blackpool. Especially considering the good it would do for visitors as well as residents. Do you have anywhere specific in mind?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have no public chargers at all in Macclesfield, there can't be many towns the size of Macclesfield in the North West with no chargers.
None at all? According to zapmap, the North West has only 8% of the UK network but that still seems like a massive oversight. Do you have any sites that you think are being overlooked? We could make a suggestion to the local authority perhaps?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bentham in North Yorkshire is technically in Lancashire, it even has an LA2 postcode, lots of residents living in terraced houses and has a lot of transient visitors for the markets and the large Factory sited there, Angus Fire, might be a good spot.

Used your Broughton in Furness charger last Sunday, thanks for providing it, you just need to get the Mini that ICEs the 2nd parking spot to park somewhere else :)

Train station might be a good parking spot even has 4G mobile coverage.
Love those technicalities! Do you know who owns the sites you suggest?

Good to hear that you got use out of the charger! Anti-ICE features are incoming you'll be glad to know so that Mini's days on that space are numbered!

·
Registered
44 Posts
None at all? According to zapmap, the North West has only 8% of the UK network but that still seems like a massive oversight. Do you have any sites that you think are being overlooked? We could make a suggestion to the local authority perhaps?
Yes we have none at all. The nearest public chargers are in Wilmslow. The council owned Duke Street Car park would be a great location for a charger as there is plenty of free space for one.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,826 Posts
You aren't wrong about Blackpool. Especially considering the good it would do for visitors as well as residents. Do you have anywhere specific in mind?
Given the tourist influx to Blackpool in the summer, I'd suggest at least a dozen 7kW & a couple of 50kW in each of Central, South Shore & Yeadon Way car parks.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,338 Posts
I've mentioned this on Twitter but I'd love to see some more charging in places like Kirkby Stephen where currently anyone in a small battery EV trying to cross the pennines across to the North East will struggle in Winter if the Geniepoint there is broken which it often seems to be (for months on end - there are apparently always arguments with the council about who pays for repair) or significantly delay someone if it's in use. Obviously in an ideal world this would include rapids for most EVs plus 22-43kW AC for Zoes but as a Zoe owner 22kW Type 2 is very much okay with me :)

Unfortunately I wouldn't know where best to site them there as I only drive through when visiting relatives.

That whole area North and North-East of M6 J36 is just very patchy at the moment. Coming back down there's Killington Lake Services which has had BOTH ecotricity units completely powered off for several months now. Old Tebay has a Polar that is in a private place that is only open during certain hours... etc....

Reactions: WonkoTheSaneUK

·
Registered
430 Posts
Love those technicalities! Do you know who owns the sites you suggest?

Good to hear that you got use out of the charger! Anti-ICE features are incoming you'll be glad to know so that Mini's days on that space are numbered!
According to Google the Station is privately owned by;

Friends of Bentham Station and is the registered office of the Leeds, Lancaster and Morecambe Community Rail Partnership.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've mentioned this on Twitter but I'd love to see some more charging in places like Kirkby Stephen where currently anyone in a small battery EV trying to cross the pennines across to the North East will struggle in Winter if the Geniepoint there is broken which it often seems to be (for months on end - there are apparently always arguments with the council about who pays for repair) or significantly delay someone if it's in use. Obviously in an ideal world this would include rapids for most EVs plus 22-43kW AC for Zoes but as a Zoe owner 22kW Type 2 is very much okay with me :)

Unfortunately I wouldn't know where best to site them there as I only drive through when visiting relatives.

That whole area North and North-East of M6 J36 is just very patchy at the moment. Coming back down there's Killington Lake Services which has had BOTH ecotricity units completely powered off for several months now. Old Tebay has a Polar that is in a private place that is only open during certain hours... etc....
We've found that the dispute about who pays for repair can be a common issue. In our case, maintenance is covered by Charge My Street themselves so that is luckily not a concern. Kirkby Stephen is a great example of the sort of place we would love to install a chargepoint. Perhaps we could get in touch with the parish council and see if they want to make the offer known to any local businesses, that is if they don't have any sites themselves.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,338 Posts
We've found that the dispute about who pays for repair can be a common issue. In our case, maintenance is covered by Charge My Street themselves so that is luckily not a concern. Kirkby Stephen is a great example of the sort of place we would love to install a chargepoint. Perhaps we could get in touch with the parish council and see if they want to make the offer known to any local businesses, that is if they don't have any sites themselves.
That's good to know!

I suppose the challenge in that town is putting one somewhere where it wouldn't be constantly ICEd as the parking there tends to be quite well occupied. Maybe a good location would be somewhere around Market Square. Assuming Google Maps is still up to date, there's an insurance consultancy called Capstick on the little side road there (Stoneshot) opposite the public loos, which looks a fairly convenient location whilst also being tucked out of the way of the main road. Could get them a bit of publicity

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's good to know!

I suppose the challenge in that town is putting one somewhere where it wouldn't be constantly ICEd as the parking there tends to be quite well occupied. Maybe a good location would be somewhere around Market Square. Assuming Google Maps is still up to date, there's an insurance consultancy called Capstick on the little side road there (Stoneshot) opposite the public loos, which looks a fairly convenient location whilst also being tucked out of the way of the main road. Could get them a bit of publicity
Anti-ICEing is something we're working on with our contractor. The plan is that non-EV parking will be detected so that Charge My Street can deal with it quickly. Thanks for you help! If you happen to notice any other sites you think could be eligible, feel free to suggest them (having checked with the owner obviously). :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all your help everyone. Had some very fruitful phonecalls on the back of these messages so if you think of anywhere else, feel free to suggest!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How about Arnside and Grange over Sands? These places get loads of visitors but as far as I can see the only charger shown in Arnside is at a hotel. Nothing in Grange. 😯
Hi Gary. We are investigating one site in Grange and another in Arnside. Did you have anywhere specific in mind that you think we should look into?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Gary. We are investigating one site in Grange and another in Arnside. Did you have anywhere specific in mind that you think we should look into?
Hi there, not sure about Grange, possibly the station car park or the car pak on Kent's Bank Road (54.191140,-2.912070).

In Arnside the larger car park just on the corner of the B5282 (54.204038,-2.831253) would seem to be the best place, for EV users. The car park at The Promenade is a pain to get in and out of, there's not much space and I expect any EV charging points there will get regularly ICEd.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts