Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,547 Posts
Just goes to show that some degree of central planning would help deliver a more useful network. No, just leave it up some local council junior executive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yep the gridserve will be very near us at the Postwick junction off the A47 however given that's only about 8 miles from our home things have gone very wrong if we ever need to charge there! The other charger is at Thickthorn however it's Ionity so again if I ever need to use it things have not gone to plan!

That said really good to see the charging desert that is Norfolk finally getting some decent chargers.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yep the gridserve will be very near us at the Postwick junction off the A47 however given that's only about 8 miles from our home things have gone very wrong if we ever need to charge there! The other charger is at Thickthorn however it's Ionity so again if I ever need to use it things have not gone to plan!

That said really good to see the charging desert that is Norfolk finally getting some decent chargers.
Norwich itself is pretty well covered for rapid chargers although they are mostly single units. Ideally there'd be a bit more destination charging throughout the county.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,133 Posts
Yep the gridserve will be very near us at the Postwick junction off the A47 however given that's only about 8 miles from our home things have gone very wrong if we ever need to charge there!
Might be useful in a power cut, if GridServe install battery storage like they have at Braintree.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Norwich itself is pretty well covered for rapid chargers although they are mostly single units. Ideally there'd be a bit more destination charging throughout the county.
Not sure I'd agreed with you there. According to Zap map there's a total of 8 in Norwich which isn't many for a city of that size. If you head east of of Norwich the situation is even worse as you won't encounter another rapid until you hit Great Yarmouth. Going north isn't much better with the whole of North Norfolk being served by just 4 rapids!
I do agree that more destination charging would be useful. On our trip to the Peak District last year we twice stayed in places with destination chargers and it was very nice waking up to a fully charged car.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Not sure I'd agreed with you there. According to Zap map there's a total of 8 in Norwich which isn't many for a city of that size. If you head east of of Norwich the situation is even worse as you won't encounter another rapid until you hit Great Yarmouth. Going north isn't much better with the whole of North Norfolk being served by just 4 rapids!
I do agree that more destination charging would be useful. On our trip to the Peak District last year we twice stayed in places with destination chargers and it was very nice waking up to a fully charged car.
The three pairs of instavolts are well placed to serve the city. Thickthorn is an obvious location, but Ionity prices mean I would only ever consider using them for the 1kWh I would require to make it home in an emergency.

The Podpoint at Lidl and Swarco at the UEA are quite convenient for me if I ever needed a quick top up before heading out of the city. But, in practice, there's nowhere in Norfolk or Suffolk that I couldn't drive to and back from home without the need to charge.

I just think all the beach car parks and attractions would be ideal places for a bunch of 7kW (or even 3.6kW) posts to allow people to trickle charge all day while off doing things. That's especially useful for maximising the use of solar energy on sunny summer days.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I just think all the beach car parks and attractions would be ideal places for a bunch of 7kW (or even 3.6kW) posts to allow people to trickle charge all day while off doing things. That's especially useful for maximising the use of solar energy on sunny summer days.
Solar panels + slow chargers in beach car parks. Why has nobody done this??!

·
Registered
120 Posts
The three pairs of instavolts are well placed to serve the city. Thickthorn is an obvious location, but Ionity prices mean I would only ever consider using them for the 1kWh I would require to make it home in an emergency.

The Podpoint at Lidl and Swarco at the UEA are quite convenient for me if I ever needed a quick top up before heading out of the city. But, in practice, there's nowhere in Norfolk or Suffolk that I couldn't drive to and back from home without the need to charge.

Some 7kW chargers are appearing in car parks around the North Norfolk coast, Sheringham has about 3 pairs (Morris St car park), Cromer has 3 pairs (Meadow car park) but what with CoVID they've yet to be commissioned (CoVID testing station is usually sited on top of them). My favourite is Felbrigg Hall car park, one pod point and free parking for NT members. There are more about up and down the coast, just look at ZapMap. 🤗

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cromer fast chargers are officially live on the ChargePointGenie network. Used my RFID card and was quick and easy. During the day parking charges apply but at night free (6pm to 8am)
1st hour £1.30, £1 per hour there after. Card payment or MIPERMIT app as well as coins accepted. Toilets in tourist centre are clean and there's many a cafe, chop shop and pub nearby. Oh when will CoVID be done with.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Thankfully my MG5 can make it from Norwich to Cromer and back 4 times on one charge so I won't ever be paying those extortionate prices. 30ppkWh is ludicrous for destination chargers. I really hope that no public money was wasted on these.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,877 Posts
Norwich is also getting the second Gridserve location, to the East of the city.

They look spectacular but I'm still to be convinced of their usefulness, they are trying to copy the existing fuel station model, everyone is excited by these because they look great but how useful will they be in reality.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well for people like me who don't have off street parking, it will be useful. The same with the one at Morrisons, as I only live a 8 minutes walk away, will be using it when unable to charge near work for free.

·
Registered
473 Posts
They look spectacular but I'm still to be convinced of their usefulness, they are trying to copy the existing fuel station model, everyone is excited by these because they look great but how useful will they be in reality.
These will be very useful when there's one 150 miles in every direction from my home. Any charging location with a bunch of chargers is better to plan around than the single chargers dotted about the place.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,877 Posts
These will be very useful when there's one 150 miles in every direction from my home. Any charging location with a bunch of chargers is better to plan around than the single chargers dotted about the place.
By the time Gridserve get another mega hub on line Instavolt will have installed another 50 chargers, I want to go to Scotland later in the year not later in the century.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts