Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
ID.3 1st Edition
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will shortly be starting a new job in which I will be getting a company vehicle, (probably deisel van).
This will mean that I will not need to drive as much too and from work. However I will still need to drive to and from Scotland about twice a year with a 6yo and my wife.

This is a 450mile trip door to door. I would like to do this is relative comfort without having to stop every 100 miles too charge which is what I found I would have needed to do in the Leaf 40kwh that I had.
I currently have a Niro PHEV and I am on the pre-order list for the e-Niro. Currently my PHEV is valued at a trade in of 18,500 (which is a little low imho), I am not sure that I should be still looking at the E-Niro or maybe something a bit more affordable. As an aside this is my only car.

I have been looking and test driven he E-Golf and have not been massively impressed with the prices of a longer range/newer one. I have also been looking at the Zoe but just don't know if it is a good idea as it looks a bit out of date now, however I never driven one. The i3 would have been an option if it wasn't for the stupid doors. The best options as far as I can see currently would be an Ioniq Electric or the Leaf 40kwh (now that Rapidgate has been patched).

I wish I could get a CPO Tesla Model S that would tick all the boxes but I cannot ever see me being able too stretch that far!

I would love to hear your thoughts on this one people. Do I presume the E-Niro or got with a pre-owned car like the Zoe Q90, Ioniq Electric, Leaf 40kwh or just bide my time with the Niro PHEV. Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
ID.3 1st Edition
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has some annoying traits.
-It is impossible to heat the cabin without the ICE starting up.
-The range is only just suitable for my current daily needs.
-I don't think that I should be spending the amount I am on a car that I will hardly be driving during the working week. It seems silly to pay £250+ per month for a car that is just sitting in my drive!
-I object to having to pay £130 per year tax for a car that is driven 90%of the time in EV mode.

These are just a few of my main annoyances.
The main reason is that I would like to return to an EV

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Why not sell the phev now and just get a decent diesel bangernomics for £1-2k and enjoy that for a while instead as yes you'll pay more rfl but the cost of driving it at the weekend and the big trip 2 or more times a year will outweigh itself when you don't need to charge once or twice on route and can do it there and back nearly on one tank of fuel?
Maybe a Volvo V70 D5 or xc70 d5 would do perfect in leather trim, big safe old bus and can do 50mpg as well.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Nah bide your time. The Chinese are coming..
Put you name down for an MG EZS

·
Registered
Ioniq 28kWh
1,666 Posts
No great solution, you could get an Ioniq pre owned but you still need a CCS pump every 100 miles. I am happy doing Scotland in my Ioniq but generally have a relative stop over at 200 miles but Kilchoan 320 miles was fine, but no children. I would aim to do the trip at night when they were sleeping, roads were quiet and chargers less likely to be occupied.

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
I would be consulting with my wife as presumably she will be the main user of the car which is at home during the day: does she need to drive to work as well. Your 6 yo will rapidly grow and need transporting to football ballet etc so figure that into it.

·
Super Moderator
Honda CB125R + Bus
12,708 Posts
I currently have a Niro PHEV and I am on the pre-order list for the e-Niro. Currently my PHEV is valued at a trade in of 18,500 (which is a little low imho), I am not sure that I should be still looking at the E-Niro or maybe something a bit more affordable. As an aside this is my only car.
Keep the PHEV and cancel your pre-order.

It meets your occasional need for a long distance car. If it is going to sit most of the time most of your objections do not matter.

The i3 would have been an option if it wasn't for the stupid doors. The best options as far as I can see currently would be an Ioniq Electric or the Leaf 40kwh
All of the above have the same main issue as as the Niro PHEV. You will be paying big money for a car that sits on your drive 5 days a week.

If you don't like making payments on the PHEV, replace it with something cheaper. How about a good used Mazda 3 for about £10,000? Or go even cheaper and rent a car for that trip to Scotland.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
What higher service costs?
I've owned diesels and petrols for years, I've never seen any evidence the diesels cost me more to service at all.
Look at the cost of the oil for example and what grade is needed for each. One problem is that oil often needs replacing based on time not miles in a low use car, so a diesel going more miles between service does not help on a low use car.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Flog your Niro Phev for as much as you can get, let's say £18500, and replace it with an Ampera. There's a nice blue one on autotrader for 14,450, 14 plate & 39k miles on it. I assume it has 100% annual dealer service history - this is essential. You'll have a car with 4 seats, v comfy & a brilliant long distance cruiser, ability to pre-warm from the key-fob, 35 mile winter & 45 mile summer range, and 3 years left of he 8-year 100k mile warranty on the expensive electrical stuff. It might even depreciate more slowly than your Niro! And you'll have 4k change in your pocket.

Cheaper ones available around 10-11k, probably have fewer miles & years left on the wty. It's worth getting the highest mileage one (so cheaper) that will get to 100k miles at your rate of driving & the no. of years wty left. Not a lot of point getting to 8 years old & only having done 60k miles - these cars can do >150k easy peasy.

I bought mine 3 years ago, 17k miles, for £15,250 and it's probably worth 10-11k today with 60k miles on the clock.

Only real drawbacks I can see are:
a) the shortage of Vx dealers allowed to even look at these cars, you'll probably be dependent on a single one in Edinburgh. Others here in GM section can probably advice further.
b) smaller boot space, but the back seats fold forwards seperately & you can actually get a lot in!
c) not easy to get a roof rack to fit, if you want to carry bike/roof box. But it has been done!
d) it will, if the weather is extremely cold, start the petrol engine for a few minutes when you set out. There are 2 models of Ampera around (ignoring the super-super-rare 2014), 2012 & 2013. 2012 (like mine) will do this when temp is around 2C or thereabouts. On the 2013 I think you can tweak that to be more like -10C, so you may prefer a 2013 model. It needs the VIN checking (or a knowledgeable person checking the display menus etc) to see which model a car is, there's little correlation between model year & the numberplate year!

Lots of advantages. Zero annual VED tax. Decent EV-only range. Solid & reliable cars whose owners love them, by and large! 7 gallon petrol tank so 350-400 miles before a stop is no prob. Doesn't need to run the ICE at all, providing there's juice in the battery, the electric motors provide 150 Hp. So floor the throttle - and - silence!!! (Only exception is the occasional super-cold starting-off mentioned above - this car protects the battery imamculately!). It's actually a Rex, rather than a Phev, and as such is a fundamentally better design than any Phev out there.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Not convinced that the low mileage will make the higher service costs of a diesel worth while compare to a petrol car. But if it was me, I expect it would come down to what was on the local 2nd market at the time.
What enhanced serviced costs?
I spent £100 on oil and filters for mine and yes it was battered and bruised but got me to Alicante and back without drama, functioning heated seats and amazing AC and still sold for the same price I bought and spent on it. It depends on the diesel and age of diesel you buy.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st Edition
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Ampera does sound very interesting as an option but from what I have seen is rarer than hen's teeth these days especially for a good one.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I've heard that diesels need the oil changing more frequently than petrols do. Is this not the case in general?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Rare, yes, but not unobtainable. I think Peter Vardy in Edinburgh service them - certainly used to. Phone them to make sure, if considering one. And some come up for sale in the Classifieds section here - you're likely to get an honest & accurate response to qns re service history etc I'd hope!

I made a 200 train mile journey to buy mine, bought it sight unseen with a loseable £250 deposit if I'd decided not to buy. They're that good. And when you say a "good" one - they're pretty-much all good, providing the service history is complete.

There's one in USA has done 445,000 miles & only in the last year really starting to show it's age, apparently, with the battery beginning to show degradation. Was rock-solid for first 200k miles I understand!
Volt Stats: Details for Volt #2012-07353 (sparkie)

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I've heard that diesels need the oil changing more frequently than petrols do. Is this not the case in general?
Nope.
It's based on some diesels getting contamination in the oil when the DPF becomes clogged etc.
It's become over-stated to the point it's become urban-myth.
None of my diesels have been any dearer to service than the petrol ones.
Funnily enough, my Leaf was almost as expensive to service as my diesel Juke.....

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.