Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve joined the GTE advance gang.
Always had a diesel golf previously and I’m a sales rep wirh xomoany car so I’ve opted for the GTE advance so I can save on benefit in kind tax. Approx £190 in my pocket a month saved.
I liked theGTE due to the fact that I can drive in GTE mode and not have to charge a lot but I’vebeen told doing this it uses part battery let fuel and therefore the mpg is similar to a diesel? How true is this?
The company pays my business miles and I pay private so I can use the pure electric for nipping round towns at weekends and am thinking GTE mode for any other. Any advice?

also in electric Mode does the engine auto kick in to fuel if you go over a certain mph and also if you run out of battery?
Any tips grateful.....

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The mpg in 'GTE' mode is only a bit better than a 1.4 Golf, although the power output is a lot better.

You should charge the car as much as possible.

In e-mode the car is limited to 81 mph if you press the pedal to the kick-down point at this point then the engine will engage allowing you to go faster. However I don't like this because it applies full load to the engine from 'stopped' so I prefer to enter GTE mode before going onto a motorway giving the engine a bit of time to warm up in traffic or at slower speeds first. It is less efficient, but more mechanically compatible.

The engine will come on automatically when you run out of battery yes, depending on the temperature this will sometimes happen around 1-3 miles of range if you are using a lot of power because the battery cannot discharge as much power when it is cold outside.

General rule with the GTE for long journeys:
  • Start fully charged
  • Use 10-20% on electric to get the distance and build a buffer for 'regen braking'
  • Switch to hybrid/GTE mode
  • As you arrive at your destination switch to E mode ideally arriving with 0-1 miles of range

Note that if your destination does not have charging, then maybe keep half the battery for the return trip - it is up to you. If you drive on hybrid mode with 0 miles of range, the car runs less efficiently as it uses petrol to charge the battery. Power output is also restricted - you only get about 140 hp at 0 miles of range because the battery cannot sustain the discharge current. In GTE mode, the car aims for as much as 12 miles of range - if you have a low battery it is best to use GTE mode infrequently as the car will burn fuel to charge it up. If you want the benefits of GTE, you can just switch it on and off as needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mpg in 'GTE' mode is only a bit better than a 1.4 Golf, although the power output is a lot better.

You should charge the car as much as possible.

In e-mode the car is limited to 81 mph if you press the pedal to the kick-down point at this point then the engine will engage allowing you to go faster. However I don't like this because it applies full load to the engine from 'stopped' so I prefer to enter GTE mode before going onto a motorway giving the engine a bit of time to warm up in traffic or at slower speeds first. It is less efficient, but more mechanically compatible.

The engine will come on automatically when you run out of battery yes, depending on the temperature this will sometimes happen around 1-3 miles of range if you are using a lot of power because the battery cannot discharge as much power when it is cold outside.

General rule with the GTE for long journeys:
  • Start fully charged
  • Use 10-20% on electric to get the distance and build a buffer for 'regen braking'
  • Switch to hybrid/GTE mode
  • As you arrive at your destination switch to E mode ideally arriving with 0-1 miles of range

Note that if your destination does not have charging, then maybe keep half the battery for the return trip - it is up to you. If you drive on hybrid mode with 0 miles of range, the car runs less efficiently as it uses petrol to charge the battery. Power output is also restricted - you only get about 140 hp at 0 miles of range because the battery cannot sustain the discharge current. In GTE mode, the car aims for as much as 12 miles of range - if you have a low battery it is best to use GTE mode infrequently as the car will burn fuel to charge it up. If you want the benefits of GTE, you can just switch it on and off as needed.
Hi thanks for the reply. I’m trying to get my head round it all. How many modes does it have for driving. I thought it just had electric mode or gte mode.

I can’t charge at home as I have nosocket and I’ll have to charge when I’m out and about but I don’t reckon I’ll get a full charge as I wouldn’t be anywhere long enough to leave it for a full charge.

The company pay my fuel for business but there’s no point me paying for electric when I have to pay the private miles fuel anyway.
I need to work this one out with the company.
If I do drive on gte mode from flat, how long does it take to put some charge into the battery to get the full dual power on route?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The car I have has:

E-mode = Electric only driving
Hybrid = Preserves battery charge and uses the engine; regen braking and electric assistance still available
GTE = Just a sportier feeling compared to Hybrid and is mostly identical
Battery charge = A bit useless, uses the engine to charge the battery, very few times you'd want to do this given it burns a lot of fuel

Some cars have a 5th mode which aims to use the battery over a route distance or about 60 miles... others do not.

The car takes only about 5 minutes to build enough power to use GTE mode, although if you keep using 'boost mode' then the car will have to charge again. That is why the normal GTE mode aims for 12 miles of range, to give you continuously available boost (you would have to drive like a complete nutter to go through all of that!)

The company pay my fuel for business but there’s no point me paying for electric when I have to pay the private miles fuel anyway.
Well the cost of electric driving is much lower, and you can claim AMAPs for your electric driving if you want. If not, you can write them off on your tax return if you do that, or claim something back from HMRC, ask an accountant...

Plus, the GTE is designed for electric use with petrol for long journeys. If you just use it as a petrol only car, you would have been better to buy something like a Lexus IS300h, it would be more economic with similar power output. The GTE isn't a particularly good hybrid on just petrol, it's a good balance between both electric and petrol and to get the most out of it, you need to use the electric bit a lot. About 80-90% of my driving is electric and my next car will be 100% electric.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,615 Posts
Hi thanks for the reply. I’m trying to get my head round it all. How many modes does it have for driving. I thought it just had electric mode or gte mode.

I can’t charge at home as I have nosocket and I’ll have to charge when I’m out and about but I don’t reckon I’ll get a full charge as I wouldn’t be anywhere long enough to leave it for a full charge.

I need to work this one out with the company.
If I do drive on gte mode from flat, how long does it take to put some charge into the battery to get the full dual power on route?
With respect, the GTE is the wrong tool for the job here if you can’t/won’t plug it in as often as possible.

Great for you and your BIK liabilities, but if you don’t charge from a plug then you’re basically using petrol to charge a battery, and that’s just inefficient as well as expensive from your companies fuel bill point of view.

Is this the new Golf 8 GTE?

It should take less than 4 hours to recharge on a post that can supply 3.6kW, but stay off the AC rapid chargers even though the Type 2 plug will fit as it’ll still only charge at 3.6kW and block the unit for other users who can utilise the rapid charge speeds. You also may get an overstay fee. By the sounds of it though, your company won’t set you up and pay for that either.

If you can get even a 3 pin outdoor socket at home, a so called ‘granny charger’ (don’t know if the new GTE comes with one of those) will still charge it from empty overnight, and your company will benefit in terms of lower fuel consumption and you can pre-heat the car etc for a warm cabin when you set off.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,646 Posts
Don’t get too hung up on eMode on motorways being useless - if you have electrons in the tank it quite happily will spring forward say 50s up to the legal limit.
You have to really trample your right foot in to the carpet to have the ICE join in.

Sitting at 70 odd you won’t notice the battery running out and the ICE starting unless you’re watching the instrumentation over the road.
Also in hybrid mode the switch over is very quiet but it will trigger way too smartly for anyone’s liking.
If you’ve ever driven a Prius it is the same effect but, will take you awhile to learn how the Gte is different in the throttle trigger between drive power in hybrid.
Long trip the Gte can get it to upper 50mpg but with you can blow that by pressing Gte mode and demolishing all your hard work.

A great car to begin moving in to EVs and very Jekyll Hide — brilliant fun.
Add on the winter remote defrosting before you step out the building - priceless.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don’t get too hung up on eMode on motorways being useless - if you have electrons in the tank it quite happily will spring forward say 50s up to the legal limit.
You have to really trample your right foot in to the carpet to have the ICE join in.

Sitting at 70 odd you won’t notice the battery running out and the ICE starting unless you’re watching the instrumentation over the road.
Also in hybrid mode the switch over is very quiet but it will trigger way too smartly for anyone’s liking.
If you’ve ever driven a Prius it is the same effect but, will take you awhile to learn how the Gte is different in the throttle trigger between drive power in hybrid.
Long trip the Gte can get it to upper 50mpg but with you can blow that by pressing Gte mode and demolishing all your hard work.

A great car to begin moving in to EVs and very Jekyll Hide — brilliant fun.
Add on the winter remote defrosting before you step out the building - priceless.
Thank you, this is my first electricnso I’m going to have to have a play. New toy! Love it. What’s the bit about winter defrosting? How do I do that?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
If you are subscribed to We-Connect you can demist from the app on your phone. If the car is older than 3 years you probably need a new subscription which is about £55/year.

The demist function and heating functions use the power from the mains where possible, so that your battery stays fully charged but you get into a warm car. On a -3C day, trust me, this is worth its weight in gold. No scraping ice off windows, no waiting for the cabin to warm up, it's just warm straight away - and this improves the range somewhat as you aren't spending that initial energy trying to heat the car up.

You can also configure timer profiles with pre-heating if you have a predictable schedule, although in COVID times that's not the case for me so I find myself using the app more and more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts