Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm sure this is asked a million times, but what cards/apps do I need and do I need both for some charging networks? I get the car next week and then drive it from the dealer in York to home in Scarborough. When I visit family in South Yorks I will obviously need to charge, and that's where my knowledge ends! Help!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Welcome to the forum and EV ownership.
Looking at the map, you're only 42.8 miles from the dealers (via the A64), so just give the dealers a ring and make sure they've given it a good charge before you collect. You didn't say which dealer, so I assumed Alexanders in Great North Road. Even the 24kWh Leaf will do it easily.
Before you accept the car, make sure it's got the 13 amp "granny" cable or "brick" and, the Type 1 to Type 2 cable. These will allow you to charge at any property and public 7 or 22kW chargers. Rapid DC chargers have their own cables.
Personally, I also carry a heavy extension lead for the granny cable, plus a 32 amp to 16 amp blue "Commando" adapter with a 16amp commando plug to 13amp 3 pin socket. Find them on eBay. Thus, I can also charge at any caravan site or marina in an emergency.
I suggest you take a look at some of the online charging maps such as www.zap-map.com/live/ which will tell you which networks operate in your area. This then dictates which cards and/or apps you will need.
Happy EV motoring!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I suggest you get a Charge Your Car card (CYC) which can be used at various locations in and around York.
They cost £20 or you can use their App without a card on a pay as you go basis but as many will tell you, app based systems are not as reliable as rfid cards.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Than
Welcome to the forum and EV ownership.
Looking at the map, you're only 42.8 miles from the dealers (via the A64), so just give the dealers a ring and make sure they've given it a good charge before you collect. You didn't say which dealer, so I assumed Alexanders in Great North Road. Even the 24kWh Leaf will do it easily.
Before you accept the car, make sure it's got the 13 amp "granny" cable or "brick" and, the Type 1 to Type 2 cable. These will allow you to charge at any property and public 7 or 22kW chargers. Rapid DC chargers have their own cables.
Personally, I also carry a heavy extension lead for the granny cable, plus a 32 amp to 16 amp blue "Commando" adapter with a 16amp commando plug to 13amp 3 pin socket. Find them on eBay. Thus, I can also charge at any caravan site or marina in an emergency.
I suggest you take a look at some of the online charging maps such as www.zap-map.com/live/ which will tell you which networks operate in your area. This then dictates which cards and/or apps you will need.
Happy EV motoring!
Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suggest you get a Charge Your Car card (CYC) which can be used at various locations in and around York.
They cost £20 or you can use their App without a card on a pay as you go basis but as many will tell you, app based systems are not as reliable as rfid cards.
The part that confuses me is do some chargers use apps AND cards, or do I need both at the moment??

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
That'll make two of us in Scarborough now!! Welcome to the clan.
As you're probably aware charging points in the area are something of a rarity. Presumably you can charge at home with the brick or have a faster wall charger installed. The only useful public charger in the town is in the car park above the Brunswick Centre (Debenhams.) Also Lidl once it gets built! The Brunswick points are just turn up and plug in, no card or app required and only cost is parking.
As suggested a CYC card will be useful for charging in York and Saltburn/Redcar/Middlesbrough areas. Also the PodPoint app for your phone for charging in Bridlington (free to use.)
If I can be of any assistance (being local) pleased to help if I can! You can always PM me on here if need be.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
The part that confuses me is do some chargers use apps AND cards, or do I need both at the moment??
Some chargers work on the app or the card but most of the suppliers are no longer issuing cards, they are expecting you to use the app instead. If it is possible to still get a card do that (providing the costs are reasonable and you will made more than very infrequent use of the card) since it is more reliable than the app. The recent big change is that the Electric Highway (Ecotricity) has been converted to app only and the period of free-access using a card has been ended. So only the app for the Electric Highway.

·
Super Moderator
11,430 Posts
It depends on the network. If you have a charge point that can use either a card or an app, I'd get the card.

It also depends on how you use the LEAF. Most of use charge at home and rarely need to use public charge points.

Do you have a 24 or 30kWh LEAF? Does it have the 6.6kW charger?

and welcome to speakEV!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It depends on the network. If you have a charge point that can use either a card or an app, I'd get the card.

It also depends on how you use the LEAF. Most of use charge at home and rarely need to use public charge points.

Do you have a 24 or 30kWh LEAF? Does it have the 6.6kW charger?

and welcome to speakEV!!
I've bought a 30kw and it has a 6.6 charger (I think). I was told it was 3.3, but after a bit of research, it has three orange cables under the bonnet so it should have 6.6??!!

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I've bought a 30kw and it has a 6.6 charger (I think). I was told it was 3.3, but after a bit of research, it has three orange cables under the bonnet so it should have 6.6??!!
Does the dashboard display show charge times for both 3kWh and 6kWh charge rates? If so it will be a 6.6, if only 3kWh that's all it will be. Regarding the three wires, the car is made to accommodate both types of charger so will be wired for both but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll have the faster charger though. Hopefully for you it has!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I was told it was 3.3, but after a bit of research, it has three orange cables under the bonnet so it should have 6.6??!!
As mentioned several times in threads this is incorrect information shown in a YouTube video. They all have 3 cables, 2 from the CHAdeMO socket and 1 from the AC socket. As already mentioned above you have to check the charge display to verify and or look at the on-board charger ID plate. Is it 3.3kW or 6.6kW? CONFUSED

·
Registered
241 Posts
For motorway journeys it is most useful to have access to Ecotricity's electric highway. This is mainly through the Ecotricity app which can be downloaded from google play or iplayer site. Charges cost £6 for half an hour, unless you are an Ecotricity customer.
It is also worth getting the Ecotricity card because there are a few Ecotricity medium speed car chargers which still need the card (and are free to use). I assume therefore that the card is still available from Ecotricity.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm sure this is asked a million times, but what cards/apps do I need and do I need both for some charging networks? I get the car next week and then drive it from the dealer in York to home in Scarborough. When I visit family in South Yorks I will obviously need to charge, and that's where my knowledge ends! Help!
Welcome!

In South Yorkshire we have posts supplied by a company called inmotion. They have them dotted about the county. Which part will you be visiting?

App wise, plugshare is a decent one as is zap map.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome!

In South Yorkshire we have posts supplied by a company called inmotion. They have them dotted about the county. Which part will you be visiting?

App wise, plugshare is a decent one as is zap map.
My family live in Barnsley.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As mentioned several times in threads this is incorrect information shown in a YouTube video. They all have 3 cables, 2 from the CHAdeMO socket and 1 from the AC socket. As already mentioned above you have to check the charge display to verify and or look at the on-board charger ID plate. Is it 3.3kW or 6.6kW? CONFUSED
I don't pick it up till the 19th Aug, so I will have to live in hope.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That'll make two of us in Scarborough now!! Welcome to the clan.
As you're probably aware charging points in the area are something of a rarity. Presumably you can charge at home with the brick or have a faster wall charger installed. The only useful public charger in the town is in the car park above the Brunswick Centre (Debenhams.) Also Lidl once it gets built! The Brunswick points are just turn up and plug in, no card or app required and only cost is parking.
As suggested a CYC card will be useful for charging in York and Saltburn/Redcar/Middlesbrough areas. Also the PodPoint app for your phone for charging in Bridlington (free to use.)
If I can be of any assistance (being local) pleased to help if I can! You can always PM me on here if need be.
Thanks John, much appreciated. One of my colleagues at the Hospital has a leaf too so we're trying to push the trust for chargers (not holding my breath though). The majority of poolcar trips are from Scarborough to York and visa versa so the Trust could save a fortune in fuel costs running evs.

·
Super Moderator
11,430 Posts
so the Trust could save a fortune in fuel costs running evs.
There is some hope. . . My employer, a university, is running 3 eNV-200 vans. I spoke with one of the drivers and he said it is saving the uni money on fuel and on time spent refuelling.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts