Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Thanks John, much appreciated. One of my colleagues at the Hospital has a leaf too so we're trying to push the trust for chargers (not holding my breath though). The majority of poolcar trips are from Scarborough to York and visa versa so the Trust could save a fortune in fuel costs running evs.
They certainly could save a lot, also for trips to Whitby and Brid. I've only seen other Leafs in this area at the charging point in Bridlington (not really this area though) but I gather the Brunswick point has had some use.
The 30kWh can easily do a return trip to York without recharging, however if need be the nearest point to York hospital to my knowledge is in the Union Terrace Car Park (CYC card required or app but RFID card recommended.) You can park for free in York council car parks while recharging so that might be useful.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I don't pick it up till the 19th Aug, so I will have to live in hope.
So, have you got it now and what do you think? (And does it have a 3.3 or a 6.6?) I know that Alexander's didn't seem to appreciate the benefit of a 6.6 charger for when I enquired buying a new Leaf from them and they tried to persuade me against that to save costs. In actual fact I paid less elsewhere for a Leaf with the 6.6 charger.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So, have you got it now and what do you think? (And does it have a 3.3 or a 6.6?) I know that Alexander's didn't seem to appreciate the benefit of a 6.6 charger for when I enquired buying a new Leaf from them and they tried to persuade me against that to save costs. In actual fact I paid less elsewhere for a Leaf with the 6.6 charger.
Yes I got it! and when I checked the charge time estimate it gave me 3.3 and 6.6 times. So I think its the 6.6?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Yes I got it! and when I checked the charge time estimate it gave me 3.3 and 6.6 times. So I think its the 6.6?
From what you report It does have the 6.6 charger. (y)

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Well it will be then. Good news. Are you going to write to SBC and NYCC as a new user to ask them where their charge points are? ;) More who ask the better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well it will be then. Good news. Are you going to write to SBC and NYCC as a new user to ask them where their charge points are? ;) More who ask the better.
I've already done it John, and I wrote to Green Mr Goodwill as well. I only got the stock answers from them but I'll keep asking! No demand you see at the moment.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
No demand you see at the moment.
Well done! If they truly believe there's no demand they clearly live in cloud cuckoo land.
I must say I find it hard to understand these people. They say we must reduce air pollution by such and such a date and there will be a need to have X quantity of EVs in use (quite a high percentage.) How do SBC & NYCC intend to achieve that just sitting on their backsides doing nothing?
Ownership of EVs in the Northumberland area and York/ Leeds is already quite high (by comparison to Scarborough!) so I presume the councils don't want those people coming anywhere near Scarborough for work and days out. I guess our councils are going to continue to promote long term fossil fuel use, even after its all run out. Perhaps they're thinking cars will run on potash in the future, who knows? Only the North Yorkshire MPs could say we need electric vehicles but do nothing to make using them in the area possible, you couldn't make it up.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
As you have a car with the 6.6 kWh onboard charger, do ensure when you have a home charger installed, that you go for a 32 amp version.

32 amps on a 230 volt (UK domestic voltage) is 7,360 watts, or 7.36 kW.
You'll need this to take full advantage of your car's 6.6 kW charger.

If you only go for a 16 amp charger, you'll only get 3.68 kW, just about ample for the 3.6 kW Leaf.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
As you have a car with the 6.6 kWh onboard charger, do ensure when you have a home charger installed, that you go for a 32 amp version.

32 amps on a 230 volt (UK domestic voltage) is 7,360 watts, or 7.36 kW.
You'll need this to take full advantage of your car's 6.6 kW charger.

If you only go for a 16 amp charger, you'll only get 3.68 kW, just about ample for the 3.6 kW Leaf.
I have a 16amp charger outside (though it is wired to upgrade to 32) but to get more benefit from my solar panels almost always use the brick EVSE. At home I'm not overly worried about charging it as fast as possible, but if I'm out somewhere wanting to get back home then that is another story and the 6.6 comes into its own! Your post could be read to imply that a 16amp charger isn't suitable for a Leaf with a 6.6kWh onboard, however it will certainly charge the car, only not as fast. I've no plans to upgrade mine. Ideally home chargers should be with power selectable rates, 6-10-16-32 amps to set according to circumstances.
In any event, not everyone's home supply can safely manage 32amps - it's 7 electric fire bars (remember them) on at once!

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I myself only have a 3.6 kW Leaf.
Charge speed at home for me has never been an issue, as you state neither has it for you.

My charger is a 32 amp because at the time I got it, for free, using the OLEV grant, a 32 amp cost the same as a 16 amp.
32 amp future proofs me more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I've had to get a sparky to come and look at putting a feed cable from my fuse box, or should I say consumer unit, (about 30m away from the garage) all the way through the house to an outside wall. Pod point will then fit it from there. The biggest job was clearing the crap out of the garage to get a car in ("I can't remember buying this")!
As for the choice of pod, I haven't really made up my mind.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I'd have had to pay extra for the 32amp; think it was around £100 rather than OLEV free. If I do replace it, it'll more likely be one with an optional slower charge rate rather than a faster one! It would be more convenient than trailing the EVSE lead out of the kitchen window.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I've had to get a sparky to come and look at putting a feed cable from my fuse box, or should I say consumer unit
It could come directly off the meter supply and have its own fuse box. That's how mine was done by British Gas, and I didn't have to pay any extra [over and above free] to have that.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I've recently spotted on PlugShare that there are now charging points at York Hospital. Are you aware and have you seen them / used them?
According to Plugshare: "First floor of multi storey carpark, two green spaces near the stairwell doors. Requires RFID tag, possibly for hospital fleet only."

·
Registered
778 Posts
Seems to me seeing at the cost difference to just order the 3.3, and take pot luck you'll get a 6.6 anyway.
It seems a lot of people do..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I've recently spotted on PlugShare that there are now charging points at York Hospital. Are you aware and have you seen them / used them?
According to Plugshare: "First floor of multi storey carpark, two green spaces near the stairwell doors. Requires RFID tag, possibly for hospital fleet only."
Unfortunately the Trust looks after York more than the Scarborough backwater. They have free parking for staff who car share in York, not in Scarborough though.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Doh. Could you use it if you visit York?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts