Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought the entry-level EgoPower lawnmower last week. So far I am very happy with it. I am especially impressed with the battery pack and charger. All Ego battery packs are 56V.

Our mower came with the smallest 2.5Ah / 56V / 140Wh battery pack. Larger batteries are available in 2.5Ah steps: 5.0, 7.5, 10. The 2.5Ah pack uses 14 18650 cells in series. As you might guess, the larger packs tack on additional 14 cell strings in parallel.

What I like about Ego batteries:

The packs are forced air cooled. There is a fan in the charger and possibly one in the lawnmower.
Every cell in the pack has a temperature sensor. Charging is limited to 0-40C. Discharge is limited to -10C to 70C.
Each cell is surrounded by a phase change sleeve. The phase change material takes heat off the cell by melting. This helps keep the cells cool during demand peaks.
The pack battery management system will discharge a pack to 30% after month in storage. Helps preserve life.
Operation of the complex BMS is transparant to the user. Pop it on the charger, pop it in the tool and use it. There is a 5-segment "fuel" gauge on the pack. The mower and charger have labled red and green status lights.

BA1400T_2.png

·
Super Moderator
11,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The mower is a joy to use. It isn't very heavy and has more than enough power. It will hit the overcurrent limit if you try to start it with the blade bogged down in tall grass. Like a petrol mower it needs to be started with the deck tilted up or on a section of lawn that isn't overgrown.

·
Super Moderator
11,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
A few questions:
  1. How much was it?
  2. Does it have autonomous mode?
  3. What’s the 0-60?
1. £379 including shipping.
2. No.
3. About 7 seconds in the boot of the i3 :)

·
Super Moderator
11,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can one use the Ego Battery Packs on other tools, electric pushbikes?
All Ego batteries work with all Ego tools. A few of the commercial tools normally work with a larger backpack battery but there are adapters.

There is a unoffical adapter for e-Bikes. 56V might be a bit much

·
Registered
2019 Kona 65Kw 2017 Outlander phev gx4hs
543 Posts
I bought a Spear a Jackson (made in china badged product) but Argos had it its 56 Volt 45 minute run time and comes with 2 batteries it was €350 I was so impressed I bought a worx battery strimmer €50 on amazon both of these cut my time to cut the grass by 50% so delighted with both

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I bought a Mountfield it has an 80 Volt 5 Ah battery. Excellent replacement for the petrol mower(s) we had our total plot is 1/2 acre mostly grass. But easy with this mower. We also have hedges of mixed pedigree on most sides. This was a pain with a mains hedge trimmer. But we bought a Stihl battery hedge trimmer with built in battery HSA45 for £100 absolutely brilliant. I can pick it up in one hand no reels and reels of extension cable and no stinky petrol. My 87 year old neighbour bought one as well.

Reactions: andrew*debbie

·
Super Moderator
11,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Obvious first question... how much can you mow on one charge?!
The entry level 17" / 42cm mower mows about 300m2 with the 2.5Ah battery. That is more than enough for our garden.

If that isn't enough you could buy a second battery. The step-up 19" / 47cm mower comes with a 5Ah battery and a rapid charger. Either choice is good for about 600m2.

The 52cm / 21" mower can cut 1000m2 on a single charge. Beyond that you could buy an extra battery or even use the 28Ah (1.57kWh) commerical backpack battery. That would run the 21" mower for 3 hours.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,322 Posts
I purchased a Mountfield Princess that came with 2 x 4Ah 48v batteries, we have a fairly large garden and I always felt a bit odd using a petrol lawn mower when I drove a BEV (this was when I owned my i3). It’s in its fourth season now, and it’s holding up well, still on the original batteries.

I do like the look of those Ego mowers though, might be a good replacement when my mountfield batteries go west.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I went to buy a new spark plug for my Honda Izzy petrol mower and suggested to the workshop that it was a bit old and that I might buy a battery operated unit. The guy looked at me in amazement and said - what? It’s only 12 years old!
So, if I knew that I could get 15 years out of a battery model I might consider it. Then it would be a Bosch.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts