Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!

Super psyched about becoming a new EV owner soonish.

I be collecting my car in about a month time, is there anything that I have to watch out for when giving it a look over?

My corsa e will be the Griffin trim, so might be slightly different from most people in this forums.

Also is the home charger offered by vauxhall any good? They offering it for 299. Or would a company like zappi be better?
This is all new to me, so any advice would be truly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
We had a pod point put in, once we sorted the schedule all good. Get on a good tarif maybe with Octopus? Great little car my wife is really pleased

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice! Is this the one Vauxhall recommends? Do we claim the OLEV grant on that or is it already settled by Vauxhall?

·
Registered
2021 Corsa-e SE Nav
29 Posts
Just had my charger installed yesterday by Pod Point. All done in one week due to a last minute cancellation. The PP was free with my vehicle, SE Nav P. Just need the car now.
I'm in the process of moving to Octopus Go and the pp app is really easy to set up for charge scheduling.
When you apply for the PP they send through an e form for the grant paperwork, once filled out and checked they do the rest. Super easy, although I found ringing them was better than waiting for an email reply.
One of the things I likes about PP was the built in pen protection and DC leakage measuring. Also the fact that as standard it measures my total house current draw and adapts if needed.

Yeah it's a bit bigger than some and I know I paid for it in the cost of the car but it was an additional outlay that I didn't need to fund upfront.
I also looked at Ohme and Octupus agile but the prices are high ATM so Go looked the better option for me as I don't have solar or anything like that.
I would ask why it is not included with the car as mine was.
Just need the car now!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, there was some negotiation with the dealership, where I bought the per month down by like 35 quid. Then the charger was excluded. I think it’s a better deal, cos it brings a total down by like 1680, compare to the 299 home charger.

Is The one Vauxhall recommend the pod point charger 7Kw ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not sure which Vauxhall "recommend" but definitely have a look around and figure out what features you'd want before diving in. Some of them are pretty dumb and some are crazy smart, but figure out what features and style you'll want in the location you're sticking it first

Edit: just to be super clear, by features I do mean that some have Alexa integration and some can charge when the grid is low carbon, but also that some need earthing rods, some have load balancing built in, and some are compatible with solar installations, others aren't.

·
Registered
2021 Corsa-e SE Nav
29 Posts
Yes it's 7kw pod point tethered, least that's what the order was and on the box.
I asked the installer too and he confirmed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds good. Do you get an option for tethered and untethered? I was reading up on about chargers, and it seems we can have either one? What made you go for tethered? sorry if I’m asking too many questions, just super hyped about electric cars, and finding loads of info

·
Registered
2021 Corsa-e SE Nav
29 Posts
No problem, so when you get the email from PP you go to all the products page and only the 7kw tethered has a price of £350. The others are full price, you then go through the Olev eligibility and if you are, the price goes to zero, you then check out and go to the Olev paperwork.
I wanted tethered to save getting a lead in and out of the car each time.
The untethered being cheaper they might be willing to do a deal on a swap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info.

One other question, how are people insurance looking like? I read somewhere not every insurance company takes on electric cars. Are there a premium on them then? Im hoping it wouldn’t go up by too much

·
Registered
2021 Corsa-e SE Nav
29 Posts
Mine will go up a tenner a month over a Citigo Petrol which I didn't think was bad given the new cost of both

·
Registered
Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav Premium Quartz Grey (Due Sept 2021)
53 Posts
Can’t offer much about the car as we’re still waiting for our Corsa-e Elite Nav that was ordered beginning of June but we took the charger deal you mention through the dealer and had our Pod point installed a few weeks ago, I have a thread in the home charger forum regarding it.

Took the tethered option, this way it means we can keep the other cable in the car just in case, and all went pretty smoothly once I’d got my head round the form to show them the install details etc.

Charger was installed straight from the meter box and was simple by all accounts, no earth rods etc, plus its a fairly smart charger with all control etc.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,033 Posts
PodPoint is the EVSE offered by Vauxhall whether free or for £299. Normally, that would include installation up to a 15m run from the most suitable power supply.

in my case, the PodPoint was free and I wanted it in my garage. However, the power supply in the garage was off a spur from the house and couldn’t handle the 32Amp demand if I wanted the full 7kW. In the end, it was decided that it needed an 80m cable run from the meter which would involve some trenching and ducting.

By the time it was all finished and PodPoint had screwed up the installation by using the wrong cable and had to take it all out and reinstall with the correct cable (16mmSWA instead of the 10mm SWA they originally installed), it must have been a loss leader for them.

They quoted around £650 for the extra installation costs and 80m of cable and I arranged for the groundwork and the ducting to their specs. Their quote for the cable and extra installation was the cheapest. By the time I added their quote and my extra costs it was £900 for the installation of my “free” PodPoint Solo.

So, make sure you get a good idea of what is required for your EVSE installation as there are often extra costs if it is not a simple <15m run from the meter.

Aside from that, I enjoy my Corsa-e and you most likely will like yours too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yours sounds about the exact opposite of mine as mine is less than a metre from the meter box and was about as simple as an installation could be.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,033 Posts
Yours sounds about the exact opposite of mine as mine is less than a metre from the meter box and was about as simple as an installation could be.
Probably. But then it is what it is. At least it’s in the garage where I wanted it. As the driveway can accommodate at least 15 cars, I’d have had a problem deciding where to put it otherwise. :oops:

I suppose that if, when if had the garage built, I’d known about EVSE requirements, I’d have had a more robust electricity supply provided but that too would have required the 80m run from the meter anyway. Probably would have saved a little bit over the eventual cost. C’est la guerre.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Probably. But then it is what it is. At least it’s in the garage where I wanted it. As the driveway can accommodate at least 15 cars, I’d have had a problem deciding where to put it otherwise. :oops:
Again that’s the opposite of us, two car drive since our extension and the Corsa-e will park directly in front of the meter box so it was all ideal.

·
Registered
2021 Corsa-e SE Nav
29 Posts
My vauxhall funded Pp Was fitted this week.
I already had smart meters fitted recently with Henley blocks from the original tails.

My meter is on a outside wall so the installer went diagonally through the wall to miss the side gate and clipped the wire to the wall round to the front of the house to where the pod is installed.
It was less than 15m but there is an option when you checkout from the home survey if you need 15-20 m.
Overall I'm really pleased with the install, it doesn't touch my consumer unit, it has its own, just a shame it is a bit of an eyesore on the front of the house.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven’t agreed with my dealership yet about the charge point, but the info you guys gave are super useful, would definitely research more!

I think I don’t need anything fancy for my home charger, just one that charges overnight would do. N my fuse box is literally in the room in front of driveway so should be all good with the length 😅

What made you guys go for the corsa instead of the other EVs?

·
Registered
2021 Corsa-e SE Nav
29 Posts
The thing I found with charge points was that no matter who I went with or got quoted it still worked out about £500 installed with the grant.
PP was probably the one I would have chosen as it has the built in PEN fault detection and DC detection. Others don't and this is on top of the cost.
I got a local electrician to quote for a Commando socket to use the Ohme offer from Octopus and also a rolec basic unit, both were well above the cost of the PP. The app is basic but will do what I need, like you charge overnight.

I had been thinking EV for a while and was going to go for a Mii or up but then found out they were being discontinued and some although now it seems sorted couldnt charge at 7kw which is important to me.
We test drive a Corsa just for something to do one day and it just went from there, they came back with a good offer which was worth doing. It will be our second car that will only do local runs to the station and shopping etc so I'm hoping with local free charging it won't cost much to run.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,033 Posts
The cable run should not be from your "fuse box" aka "Consumer Unit". Ideally, it should go from the meter tails to a new mini consumer unit to the location of the EVSE. Often, the CU is not in the same location as the meter.

I went for the Corsa-e as was due to retire and didn't need my larger ICE for my commute. I test drove a Nissan Leaf but the dealer never followed up and in the meantime test drove a few others including a VW Golf-e and the Corsa-e. I was offered a good deal on the Corsa-e and I also liked the features.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts