Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not Kona Specific I suppose, but just thought I would document the Dashcam I have just fitted.

Up till now I have used a Twin camera system with a 1080p camera on the windscreen and a 720p on the rearscreen with the wire run down inside the car, and the power to supply them from a wire run down the side pillar to the 12v socket in the centre console.

I have now replaced this setup with a single 360 Degree camera, and have hardwired the power to the overhead console (The Red and Black Wires to the Overhead Lights), These are always live, and when in sleep mode the Dashcam records one image a second providing parked protection

Its not as high up as I would have liked so has a lot of dashboard in the forward facing images, but in practice this does not detract and everything relevent can be clearly seen, but this positioning allows clear view out of the side and rear windows giving good all round view.

I was advised this type of recording is better as its shows clearly what was happening at the sides as well as the actions of the driver at the time, so easier to discount was not looking or did not indicate claims.

Has Multiple viewing options including one in full VR where you can put on a VR headset and view it as though you are in the car.

But Personally I prefer this 2 Screen Full Front and Full Cabin/Rear View

There are 3 Camera View (Which is good for front and showing Drivers use of controls)

And 4 Camera View Which I may try and use a bit more

But all in all a neat single camera unit that covers the entire external and internals and easily wired into the overhead console lights for power

Price £120 at Costco.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. You can't see much out of the rear in those pictures, but is it capable of zooming in to the recording to see more clearly?
Yes you can zoom, but in reality all you are looking for with rear view is the proof someone ran into the back of you,

I obsessed about clear numberplate images, but advice is its better the see more area and less detail as 90% of the time it goes down to who did what rather than needing the numberplate of the car, I was told the best thing to do is just speak the number plate so its recorded if you think you will need it later.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,553 Posts
Not Kona Specific I suppose, but just thought I would document the Dashcam I have just fitted.

Up till now I have used a Twin camera system with a 1080p camera on the windscreen and a 720p on the rearscreen with the wire run down inside the car, and the power to supply them from a wire run down the side pillar to the 12v socket in the centre console.

I have now replaced this setup with a single 360 Degree camera, and have hardwired the power to the overhead console (The Red and Black Wires to the Overhead Lights), These are always live, and when in sleep mode the Dashcam records one image a second providing parked protection

Its not as high up as I would have liked so has a lot of dashboard in the forward facing images, but in practice this does not detract and everything relevent can be clearly seen, but this positioning allows clear view out of the side and rear windows giving good all round view.

View attachment 130776
View attachment 130777

I was advised this type of recording is better as its shows clearly what was happening at the sides as well as the actions of the driver at the time, so easier to discount was not looking or did not indicate claims.

Has Multiple viewing options including one in full VR where you can put on a VR headset and view it as though you are in the car.

But Personally I prefer this 2 Screen Full Front and Full Cabin/Rear View

View attachment 130778

There are 3 Camera View (Which is good for front and showing Drivers use of controls)

View attachment 130779

And 4 Camera View Which I may try and use a bit more

View attachment 130780

But all in all a neat single camera unit that covers the entire external and internals and easily wired into the overhead console lights for power

Price £120 at Costco.
Looks good value, might be tempted, might keep my old one as extra rear view also.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've done something similar myself with a dual camera mounted in the centre of the car.

It gets a view through the windscreen as a dash cam, and out the back window in case of a rear shunt. Also, you can see through the wing mirrors if anyone is messing with the car. Check out this small video I made.

There's a guy in a brown coat acting suspiciously. Fortunately, he was just waiting for someone at the supermarket.

I also bought a phone battery pack which will run the camera while the car is parked up.

I now have something similar to a Tesla sentry mode without having to buy a £40,000 car. :)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have a link?
Think in the UK its only available in the stores, this link has more details on it

·
Registered
193 Posts
Okay, this might be a con, but at this price I'm willing to give it a go.
I've just ordered it. Ships from Manchester in the UK so should be legit. I'll let you know, although it says they only have 6 left.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I ordered one and received it just now. Struggling to understand the chinglish and it does come with lots of bits!
Mine arrived today also. The instructions are hilarious, but I was surprised that it worked straight out of the box. You can view 360 in the Windows 10 Film and TV viewer if you click on the three dots in the bottom righthand corner and click "view as 360". I'm now experimenting with various settings and locations in the car.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Mine arrived today also. The instructions are hilarious, but I was surprised that it worked straight out of the box. You can view 360 in the Windows 10 Film and TV viewer if you click on the three dots in the bottom righthand corner and click "view as 360". I'm now experimenting with various settings and locations in the car.
I use a Mac and have not downloaded and software yet. Did you charge it first or just connect it straight to your PC?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I use a Mac and have not downloaded and software yet. Did you charge it first or just connect it straight to your PC?
Charged it a little then connected it in the car to get some footage to work with. On one forum it recommends 360Fly editing software so I'm trying that now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts