Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the ev world. I got my 2018 e golf yesterday and I can't believe how good it driver. Never drove it before purchase but my wife has mk7 gti so knew what I was getting but its better that I could ever have hoped for. My question is what modes are people using day to day. I did trip to work today 47 miles mixed roads and got home with range left of 101 Miles. I was using auto on duel carnage ways and mode 3 on every other road. From what I have Read that is quite good? Any tips or ideas welcome. I shall be fitting some gti left over parts, wheels, poss brakes and seats over time. Not sure it needs brakes but they are spare.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Welcome to the world of EVs.
Bigger brakes look nice if you have the correct caliper carriers, but will not improve braking. Likewise wheels, although in theory wider wheels will reduce range very slightly, more if you choose tyres that aren't low rolling resistance.
Check out @buck eejit 's modified car for ideas.

Now it's perfect

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree brakes are waste of time, only had e golf day and did not use brakes much. Once I have some regular data for power usage, I'm going to try some our gti wheels. I have some 19" with p4s supper grippy tyre, some normal 18" std and a set of 18 std with winter tyres on. Be interesting to see how much I use. First job is rear view camera. Can't believe previous owner got discovery pro and digital dash and did not put a camera on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
more than 10k less than a new one... I wanna see the deprecesion... Hope write well...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine has a lot of kit. 4000 Miles, metallic paint, digital dash, descovery pro, winter pack, parking sensors and heat pump. Late 2018 reg

·
Registered
687 Posts
Welcome to the world of EVs.
Bigger brakes look nice if you have the correct caliper carriers, but will not improve braking. Likewise wheels, although in theory wider wheels will reduce range very slightly, more if you choose tyres that aren't low rolling resistance.
Check out @buck eejit 's modified car for ideas.

Now it's perfect

·
Registered
637 Posts
I just drive in normal mode without any regen on. Coasting is best for economy and when you use the brakes it regens anyway unless you want to stop really quickly.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I just drive in normal mode without any regen on. Coasting is best for economy and when you use the brakes it regens anyway unless you want to stop really quickly.
This is a question I have asked before and not got a straight answer...

When driving in D mode and I press brakes - Is the car using the Regen for the braking or the mechanical pads and callipers. until as you say the point where regen isn't enough t pull you up...if the car uses regen for its slowing of the car when you actually press the brakes, why do we even need a B mode then?

·
Registered
50 Posts
When you’re in D mode and you use the brakes the car does indeed use regenerative breaking. It’s only in the last few meters when you come to a stop when the physical brakes are user, or when you’re braking very hard and the car needs extra stopping power.

You can see when and how much regen is happening from the green bar on the active info display (or the ‘rev counter’ on the traditional dash).

I’ve had mine since Nov 19, I very rarely use the B modes, think of them as ‘auto brakes’ and you’ll be about right!

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
why do we even need a B mode then
You'd need it if you were too lazy to move your right foot from the accelerator to the brake. "One pedal" driving appears to increasingly a selling point for the masses, although like you I think that it is harder to drive it efficiently in that mode.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,834 Posts
You'd need it if you were too lazy to move your right foot from the accelerator to the brake. "One pedal" driving appears to increasingly a selling point for the masses, although like you I think that it is harder to drive it efficiently in that mode.
No-one NEEDS B mode. Or indeed no car needs multiple drive modes. How many do you have on an ICE?

Maybe I am lazy as you suggest but I have had a lot of fun learning to use B mode properly. I use it all the time and find it very relaxing.

I instinctively enjoy the way that you are in control of the car all the time. Coasting is not proper car control in my book.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think it is great that the e-Golf has multiple driving modes. Pick the one you like when you like. I use B mode around town for one pedal driving and I get great efficiency due to the frequent stop and go nature of local driving. On the highway, I typically use D1 or D2 to help me slow faster than I would if I had to move my right foot from the accelerator pedal to the brake pedal. I find that the various modes enhance the braking speed of the car (if you use the modes appropriately) because if you suddenly need to brake, merely lifting your foot is much faster than lifting and shifting your foot to the brake pedal.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Well done for learning to use it properly. I find a noticeable decrease in range when using it which I presume means that I'm losing energy with unnecessary regeneration requiring subsequent acceleration.
In a manual ICE you have the ability to change down and gain control, but of course it's not the same in terms of recovering energy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I find the regen modes best for moderating speed on downhill stretches. For max efficiency, I coast as much as I can. Using regen all the time will prevent coasting.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Maybe I am lazy as you suggest but I have had a lot of fun learning to use B mode properly.
I totally agree @TomH
I also liked using the "B" mode a lot when I had my GTE.
This is what I found over my 4 years of ownership.
In "D" mode it was very easy to just let the car "Coast".
You could easy your foot back slightly off the "Go" pedal to allow the car slowly loose speed.
Removing your foot quickly from the "Go" pedal in "D" mode would engage a moderate level of "Regen" ( depending on the state of the HV battery of course ) then you could bring the car to total stop, by using the foot brake.
Manually pulling hard back on the gear selector and selecting "B" mode will induce the highest level of "Regen" that the car is able to supply at that particular moment, given the current S.O.C. of the HV battery.
The "B" setting provides a much stronger "Regen" setting than when the car is in "D" mode and you lift your foot from the "Go" pedal that is for sure.
I use to love playing the "Regen" game in my car.
Like when leaving a dual carriageway and taking the long slip road, with a small roundabout at the end.
With the car in "D" mode, just coast along and let the road speed slowly decrease.
Then on the approach to the roundabout, pull the gear selector back into "B" mode in induce "Max Regen".
With a bit of practise, you should only need to apply the footbrake if there is any traffic on the roundabout.
If you need to use the footbrake BEFORE the roundabout, you go it wrong by pulling back too late on the gear selector !.
This may sound a little bit of a childish game to play, but trust me it's ALL good practise for when you move to a full BEV.
The "Regen" levels on a BEV are much stronger than a PHEV.
One pedal driving on a BEV is a fantastic feeling, the braking control is pretty much done via the "Go" pedal.
It takes a little time to learn it, because it is WAY stronger than in a PHEV.
But in a very good way.
The foot brake gets very very little use when you have mastered the "Regen" game in a BEV.
I found a lot of GTE owners treated their cars as a standard ICE car and never really learnt how they worked.
A few of them could not even be bothered plugging them in on a regular basis.
I could not understand WHY you would have a plugin hybrid and never be bothered to charge it ?.
What a complete waste of a brilliant technology.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts