Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the reviews and information that I've found about the e-up! (and the Skoda/Seat versions) say that it can charge to 80% in 4 hours from a home (fast) charger. This assumes a 7.2kWh charging speed. However, the detailed specifications for both the e-up! and Citigo say that it comes with a type 2 mode 3 16A charging cable which is only going to give 3.6kWh, so take 8 hours.

Have I misunderstood something here or do you really have to purchase a 32A cable to get the fastest charging from 7.2kWh chargers?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
All the reviews and information that I've found about the e-up! (and the Skoda/Seat versions) say that it can charge to 80% in 4 hours from a home (fast) charger. This assumes a 7.2kWh charging speed. However, the detailed specifications for both the e-up! and Citigo say that it comes with a type 2 mode 3 16A charging cable which is only going to give 3.6kWh, so take 8 hours.

Have I misunderstood something here or do you really have to purchase a 32A cable to get the fastest charging from 7.2kWh chargers?
Tesla Bjorn has an interesting review of the charging rates etc on the new e.UP.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I seem to remember a similar confusion about this same issue when the e-Golf uprated it's battery in 2017. Mixed messages on what the rating of the supplied cable was/is and the dealers in the dark about it and why it's an issue. Perhaps a member or some of the older posts from then can share some light?

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
At home I would strongly recommend a 7kW tethered charger, so the supplied cable wouldn't matter anyway. It is far less faf than using the public cable which you just leave in car. Tethered is a bit more expensive but (after 7 years of driving EVs) worth it IMO.

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai IONIQ Premium SE
16 Posts
If you look inside the charging port of the E-Up, you will see L1, L2, Earth and Neutral whereas most other vehicles only have L1, N and Earth. This would suggest that VW has attached a 16A charger to both those phases. So single phase will only be 3.7kW and the charging point would need to be a 3-phase one in order to get the 7.2kW charging speed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes, that is what I gather. Nothing I can find in brochure etc spells this out though. Also applies to the CitiGo and Mii.

Not many 3 phase home charge points in the UK I would think.

·
Premium Member
4,264 Posts
I’d be cautious about treating charging information on the Pod Point website as gospel over what VW say on their own website. Or indeed, any UK review I’ve read of the 2020 e-Up which states it has 7kw single phase charging.

Edit: Seems that Pod Point are listing charging details for the previous generation e-Up which was indeed 3.6kw charging, the new 2020 e-Up is 7.2kw.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This from Myenergi forum: My new VW e-up! only charges at 3.8kW on Zappi 2

Post#29 is interesting:

"Using two phases to charge is a feature we've seen in VW EV's - it's to allow the car to charge at 7kW on supplies in Europe where three phase domestic supplied are common but with a 16A limit per phase or a 20A neutral limit.

The eGolf will charge at 7kW on two phases, using two smaller onboard chargers but if only one phase is available it switches both chargers onto that phase so the car can charge at 7kW in the UK"

·
Registered
31 Posts
e-UP, Mii and Citygo have the same on board charging systems, all designed for Eurorean use where 3 phase is more common, the vehicle has 2 x 16A supply inputs, in the UK where single phase is 99% the normal then you can only charge at 16A (3.6kW ish). for the cost of these they are not very good VFM! Reminiscent of a 1996 ford KA in my oppionion (lack of full door trims and cheap scratchy plastics). If we in the UK were not paying 25% more than its German price it would not be so bad! In comparison to the VW UP (<£9K in Europe and £10K in the UK) they should only be £1000 more expensive, not £5k (>6k without Government grants). The European Automotive manufacturers still see the UK as "Treasure Island"!

·
Registered
412 Posts
e-UP, Mii and Citygo have the same on board charging systems, all designed for Eurorean use where 3 phase is more common, the vehicle has 2 x 16A supply inputs, in the UK where single phase is 99% the normal then you can only charge at 16A (3.6kW ish). for the cost of these they are not very good VFM! Reminiscent of a 1996 ford KA in my oppionion (lack of full door trims and cheap scratchy plastics). If we in the UK were not paying 25% more than its German price it would not be so bad! In comparison to the VW UP (<£9K in Europe and £10K in the UK) they should only be £1000 more expensive, not £5k (>6k without Government grants). The European Automotive manufacturers still see the UK as "Treasure Island"!
£20K for Seat Mii, which is probably the best of the bunch for price v spec!

·
Registered
56 Posts
With a full charge taking 8+ hours using some of the smart tariffs is going to be interesting......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Looking at it another way, how often would a 100% charge (taking over 10 hours) be needed? If you were to only charge on a smart tariff for say 4 hours a day at say a pessimistic 4 miles/kWh that still gives about 60 miles, probably more than enough for a city car useage/daily commute.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Folks, it appears there is a BMS software upgrade available to increase the charge rate to 7.2kW on single phase. I am looking into this for my CitiGo e.

See here (leads to another thread on Zappi forum):

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looks very encouraging...... hopefully the dealers will do the upgrade without charging....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Had a call today from Skoda about our Citigo e (same as VW and Seat offerings) and they expect to do a software update + new charging cable foc in the next couple of weeks to allow 7.2kW charging - result!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts