Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up our new e-Up today. We now have the dream all-electric garage.

As against that, my contract finished on Friday, so just hoping we don't soon have to get rid of the Tesla...!

I have to say that from the driver's seat the pedestrian warning sound is very subtle, unlike the foghorn-like noise our outgoing Evezy Zoe made... The ride and handling is so much better too -- firmer but not with that awful lolloping bounce...

For those who take account of these things, the GOM range shown on collection was 181 miles...!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
For those who take account of these things, the GOM range shown on collection was 181 miles...!
Sounds consistent with my 2015 model. Mine used to show 90miles at 100% SOC; yours has twice the battery size so 180 might be expected. Alas, my 90m with a full battery had usually reduced to 20 when I'd done 40 miles ! :devilish:

Reactions: Tim Ostler

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Congrats! Looking forward to some reports. I'd love to be able to afford a Tesla Model 3, but I'm starting to look at the Citigo/Mii/eUp as being the cheapest reasonable second EV option.

Curious to know how you find it, especially issues such as Rapid charging, range, motorway efficiency (or lack thereof!). For some reason I'm a bit wary of the Zoe and MG...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looks good. Be interested to hear some real world experiences as you get using it.
I’m between this and a leaf at the moment, prefer the look of these and VAG cars in general compared to the million buttons in the leaf but similar lease prices currently so would be great to know some real world range/charging on the e-up to assist my heart over head decision making.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Very nice too. Shame you have to share your drive with that old oil burner!

·
Registered
44 Posts
We have a CitiGo on order, so will be following this with interest. I did look at the Zoe, but a) more £, and b) SHMBO much prefers a simple analogue dashboard....

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,007 Posts
@Tim Ostler I'd be interested to know how you compare the VW and your Zoe. If evezy ever add the e-Up to their fleet, I may be tempted to swap my Zoe for it too. Looks perfect for London, and the occasional longer trips to see friends and family.

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for all the good wishes. I can't offer too many observations, as my music teacher wife has been monopolising it to drive to her school every day! For the same reason (and because I hated the design, the interior decoration and the ride) the same went for our Zoe which we had for about 7 or 8 months.

However in my two brief opportunities to enjoy it it has provided a refreshing driving experience. It is an interesting mix between our dear departed eGolf and our recent ICE Up!. Acceleration is again better than the 0-60 figures suggest but compared with the eGolf the torque seems to be slightly limited to discourage traffic light GPs

Highlights:

1. Pedestrian warning noise is pitched just right. It doesn't come on until you are actually moving and is never loud enough from inside to be particularly noticeable. This contracts with the unearthly siren sound of the Zoe and the white noise of the Tesla (which mercifully my car predates).
2. Steering wheel is a bit big to optimise the kind of nippy "fling it around the corners" feel, and seats while perfectly comfortable are much thinner and feel more basic than the Zoe's or the eGolf's.
3. We haven't tested the range (and are unlikely to as this is not our long-distance tourer) but at a WLTP 159 mi. (I noticed last week the website adjusted this down from from 162) it's clearly a bit lower than our 2019 Zoe's 185-odd. In practical terms this just means that we might plug it in maybe every 4 rather than every 5 days.
4. I've posted elsewhere that it is unclear as yet whether our model supports online services. There are certainly current e-Ups that do, but I am not sure whether VW UK have decided to leave the SIM slot out of the UK spec. If so, this is extremely annoying -- and would be more so if it were our main EV -- but not a dealbreaker, as I was very much going for the most basic viable EV to complement our (least basic) Tesla.
5. We have the Sharkskin dash and ambient lighting because that was what came with the e-Up that became available unexpectedly. However this is definitely one thing I think is not worth paying extra for. In purely decorative terms I might have gone for the Style pack instead with the black roof and the upgraded seats but I doubt that my wife would have agreed anyway.
6 The wheels are like the eGolf and probably very sensitive to kerbing, so we have had Alloygators fitted already.
7. The ride is firmer than the Zoe, but as I think I mentioned above I never liked the latter's ride and much prefer the simple unfussy design philosophy that the e-Up represents.

It was always the case that my initial reaction to the Tesla was more muted than many people’s, simply because my outgoing eGolf had already been so smooth and responsive and was such a delight to drive. The e-Up offers a more basic version of that. Also, whereas with the Tesla I always feel like something of a beta-tester, sitting in and driving the e-Up provides a completely reassuring experience, where I feel that everything is reliable and well-engineered -- except, that is, for the connectivtiy...!

As soon as these are available in reasonable numbers I predict that they will prove a winner for Evezy -- whose service incidentally I would heartily recommend.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would be interested to know how the home charging is going. It appears that even with a 7kW wallbox home charging is limited to 3.7kW, so not much quicker than a granny charger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts