Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alongside the long-awaited Sandbach Services Southbound, there's also a new one in Kent in the works, which is showing up in the app as 'no pumps currently available', and given that Ecotricity no longer keep their main web map up to date, I thought I'd mention it here, and it's due to be a triple-headed unit.

Stop 24, Folkestone
M20 Junction 11, CT21 4BL

This is good, because it's a long way to Maidstone from Dover, especially if you don't go via the rapid chargers at the Eurotunnel.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If it the same one, it is located inside the Folkestone Eurotunnel terminal complex and you have to have a valid ticket to travel to access the charger - as I discovered for my range-anxious self a few months ago when my Leaf took me there from Hastings and left me negotiating my way out of the queue for the border post, and with 22 miles of range to get 28 miles to Maidstone (Hollingbourne) M20 services. (I annoyed a lot of people on the A20 that day by doing no more than 45mph cross country to plug in at Maidstone services, showing 0% on the charger).

Disgraceful, really, over 5 million cars travelling by ferry from Dover annually & there are no accessible rapid chargers within 30 miles - closest is Calais & Maidstone (Hollingbourne).

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I find this very interesting. When you ask Ecotricity's api the status of pumps you have to specify a location id. Stop 24 Folkestone is unique in having 2 ids: 0 and 182 both return the pumps at that location.

Some of the other location ids return pumps at more than one location though so I think things are just generally messed up.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I find this very interesting. When you ask Ecotricity's api the status of pumps you have to specify a location id. Stop 24 Folkestone is unique in having 2 ids: 0 and 182 both return the pumps at that location.

Some of the other location ids return pumps at more than one location though so I think things are just generally messed up.
Maybe they've got one 'location id' for sites that aren't fully installed yet.

The Stop24 location is not at Eurotunnel. It's near Westenhanger on the M20.
Stop24 is located on Junction 11 of the M20, about 5 minutes drive from the Channel Tunnel terminal and 15 minutes drive from the Port of Dover.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ah, cool. Sounds like this is indeed a new one, in which case yippee yah. Thanks for the info. I shall check it out at the earliest opportunity - hopefully with enough range to limp back to Maidstone if need be.

Just checked & the Eurotunnel terminal one was CYC, so sounds good.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

Some Location Ids have changed.. since they're never really displayed by the app I guess that's OK.

IKEA Reading is now 181 (was 180).
Sandbach South is now 182 (was 181)
Sarn Park is now 183 (was 182)

178-180 are still missing, and I did a quick search there's nothing >183.

Stop24 is showing as location 0 with 1 pump 1315 - presumably 0 is a placeholder for when it gets properly allocated one (although it does beg speculation as to where pumps 1308-1314 are..).

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
When I tried the other day
Some Location Ids have changed.. since they're never really displayed by the app I guess that's OK.

IKEA Reading is now 181 (was 180).
Sandbach South is now 182 (was 181)
Sarn Park is now 183 (was 182)

178-180 are still missing, and I did a quick search there's nothing >183.

Stop24 is showing as location 0 with 1 pump 1315 - presumably 0 is a placeholder for when it gets properly allocated one (although it does beg speculation as to where pumps 1308-1314 are..).
When I tried the other day, location 182 was returning both Sandbach and Stop 24. They seem to have fixed that now.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Steady on. It's apparently not live yet.
Well I just drove round & around Stop 24 services in Folkestone and couldn't see any work going on nor evidence of a spot for charge bays. So I guess it's TBA.

Just made it back from Folkestone to Hastings rapid charger with worst range anxiety yet. Guessometer said 42 miles to do 39. Thought I'd risk it, but last 4.6 miles on turtle mode. Fortunately made it 1 mile to top of ridgeway & then 2 miles slow downhill regen & 1.5 miles along seafront in traffic. I may have rediscovered religion.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There's at least one DBT unit hiding at the Ecotricity HQ in Stroud, that I can't find in the app - it's featured in the Fully Charged interview with Dale. I guess it's used for testing and development or somesuch.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Maybe they've got one 'location id' for sites that aren't fully installed yet.

The Stop24 location is not at Eurotunnel. It's near Westenhanger on the M20.
Stop24 is located on Junction 11 of the M20, about 5 minutes drive from the Channel Tunnel terminal and 15 minutes drive from the Port of Dover.
That's wonderful. I actually wrote to Stop 24 at one point telling them they should consider putting in a charging point for EVs. I told them that they would be missing out on an increasing percentage of customers if they didn't. That will make it much easier to go to Dover Castle!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I thought I'd rerun my program that finds all the ecotricity chances.. last run in September last year, so there's been a decent span of time. The results are:

New sites:
Hetland Hall Hotel, 1 pump

Removed sites:
Sandbach South (was 2 pumps allocated, but not live).

Changed sites:
Stop 24 now two sites, and active.
Cardiff Gate - extra pump
Charnock Richard Northbound - extra pump.
MO Toddington - extra pump live, both directions
Clacket lane - extra pump, both directions

Not much change, mostly just adding pumps presumably so there's capacity at busy sites.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought I'd rerun my program that finds all the ecotricity chances.. last run in September last year, so there's been a decent span of time. The results are:

New sites:
Hetland Hall Hotel, 1 pump
Hetland Hall Hotel has since been removed.
Stop24, Folkestone is actually just one site, with two units (1314,1315).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts