Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suggest we start using a new measure of energy, to be call the ElectroGallon, or ELG for short.
This unit equals 10 kWh, or 10 domestic Units.

Here's why. For a few years I've been driving an Ampera, useable battery 10.4 kWh. In general I've got around 40-45 miles out of this. I did an extreme test once, cross-country at dawn, max speed 40 mph, cresting hills at walking pace & coasting down to build up speed for next hill, pulling over into field entrances to let the occasional tractor race past me. I managed the magic 60 miles on a full charge!
That works out at 57 M/ELG. Any petrol car getting 57 M/Gall is doing well.
When getting 45 miles out of Ampy, that's 43 M/ELG. Again, ok for a heavy petrol car (~1800 Kg)

When describing this stuff to ICE owners, it's very hard to get across the concept of what 10.4 kWh means. They can grasp the idea that it costs appx £1.50-£2 when I tell them the cost, but it's not an easy concept to adopt. Think about it; 1 kWh is good for 3-5 miles, so is a very small amount in petrol equivalent terms. Our brains are used to working in whole units, not digits with more digits (still importamt & meaningful) after the decimal place. And how many more after the decimal place do we need? Again, decimal fractions aren't an easy concept.

What I found did work well was describing the electric capability of my EV by saying "Think of it as a cheap or even free gallon of petrol in your tank every morning". And that's actually a very good way to think of these Phevs, most are around this mark.

I'm now testing & comparing my Ioniq 38.4 kWh & ID.3 58 kWh EVs. To those techhies here, these numbers all make sense, and are needed to understand what I'm talking about. But Joe Petrol Public has no idea what's going on! Numbers in the region of 38, 45, 58, 70, that we toss around are actually rather on the large size for the typical human brain. Comparing these 2 EVs, I'm coming up with figures like 3.95 miles/kWh, 4.3, etc, that sort of region. Again, those wretched digits after the decimal point are cropping up again. Can't we get rid of them, and clarify the EV situation & make life a lot easier for Joe Petrol Public?

Answer is YES, IF we decide to talk about miles per 10 kWh used. Suddenly those 3.9, 4.3 etc become 39, 43, miles per ElectroGallon, M/ELG . One ELG will take your electric car roughly the same distance that One Gallon will take your petrol car. The cost of 1 ELG is around £2.50 at Braintree, £3.90 at Ionity, etc etc. Suddenly these are familiar values, easily remembered as they're is exactly the same sort of range as the well-known & well-understood Gallons & £.

This helps simplify understanding what car battery capacities "mean" to a petrol car owner. My Ampera has a 1 ELG tank. So it clearly needs help (petrol) if it's to go any real distance at all.

First model of Ioniq, 28 kWh, was a 3 ELG EV.
My Ioniq is a 4 ELG EV.
My ID.3 is a 6 ELG EV.
Newest Leaf is a 6 ELG EV. Etc etc.
Teslas can be 6, 7.5, 8, 10 ELG, whatever.

Suddenly the basic difference is obvious to all, and petrol car owners will have an instinctive feel for how far it's likely to go before they need a refill.

My first comparison of Ioniq & ID.s at 70 mph in the wet is this:
Ioniq 4 ELG car gets 33 M/ELG
ID.3 6 ELG car gets 30 M/ELG

Joe Petrol Public will soon get the message that you don't want to let the tank go much below 1 ELG left, so the arithmetic of what's useable is now obvious, it's so simple.

I don't need to add that the conversion factor of 10 makes the arithmetic trivially simple. And it gets rid of the need to use decimal points & digits after.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Wouldn't it be more helpful to sell petrol in kWh! We even see domestic gas on our bills in those units now. It will never happen of course.
Wouldn't that make EVs even less appealing? The energy density of petrol is crazy @ 9kWh/litre. Tell folk that an EV has a 40kWh battery and they'll think it can only do 4 miles.

OTOH, it highlights how crazy efficient EVs are.

Reactions: Duncan

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I suggest we start using a new measure of energy, to be call the ElectroGallon, or ELG for short.
This unit equals 10 kWh, or 10 domestic Units.

Here's why. For a few years I've been driving an Ampera, useable battery 10.4 kWh. In general I've got around 40-45 miles out of this. I did an extreme test once, cross-country at dawn, max speed 40 mph, cresting hills at walking pace & coasting down to build up speed for next hill, pulling over into field entrances to let the occasional tractor race past me. I managed the magic 60 miles on a full charge!
That works out at 57 M/ELG. Any petrol car getting 57 M/Gall is doing well.
When getting 45 miles out of Ampy, that's 43 M/ELG. Again, ok for a heavy petrol car (~1800 Kg)

When describing this stuff to ICE owners, it's very hard to get across the concept of what 10.4 kWh means. They can grasp the idea that it costs appx £1.50-£2 when I tell them the cost, but it's not an easy concept to adopt. Think about it; 1 kWh is good for 3-5 miles, so is a very small amount in petrol equivalent terms. Our brains are used to working in whole units, not digits with more digits (still importamt & meaningful) after the decimal place. And how many more after the decimal place do we need? Again, decimal fractions aren't an easy concept.

What I found did work well was describing the electric capability of my EV by saying "Think of it as a cheap or even free gallon of petrol in your tank every morning". And that's actually a very good way to think of these Phevs, most are around this mark.

I'm now testing & comparing my Ioniq 38.4 kWh & ID.3 58 kWh EVs. To those techhies here, these numbers all make sense, and are needed to understand what I'm talking about. But Joe Petrol Public has no idea what's going on! Numbers in the region of 38, 45, 58, 70, that we toss around are actually rather on the large size for the typical human brain. Comparing these 2 EVs, I'm coming up with figures like 3.95 miles/kWh, 4.3, etc, that sort of region. Again, those wretched digits after the decimal point are cropping up again. Can't we get rid of them, and clarify the EV situation & make life a lot easier for Joe Petrol Public?

Answer is YES, IF we decide to talk about miles per 10 kWh used. Suddenly those 3.9, 4.3 etc become 39, 43, miles per ElectroGallon, M/ELG . One ELG will take your electric car roughly the same distance that One Gallon will take your petrol car. The cost of 1 ELG is around £2.50 at Braintree, £3.90 at Ionity, etc etc. Suddenly these are familiar values, easily remembered as they're is exactly the same sort of range as the well-known & well-understood Gallons & £.

This helps simplify understanding what car battery capacities "mean" to a petrol car owner. My Ampera has a 1 ELG tank. So it clearly needs help (petrol) if it's to go any real distance at all.

First model of Ioniq, 28 kWh, was a 3 ELG EV.
My Ioniq is a 4 ELG EV.
My ID.3 is a 6 ELG EV.
Newest Leaf is a 6 ELG EV. Etc etc.
Teslas can be 6, 7.5, 8, 10 ELG, whatever.

Suddenly the basic difference is obvious to all, and petrol car owners will have an instinctive feel for how far it's likely to go before they need a refill.

My first comparison of Ioniq & ID.s at 70 mph in the wet is this:
Ioniq 4 ELG car gets 33 M/ELG
ID.3 6 ELG car gets 30 M/ELG

Joe Petrol Public will soon get the message that you don't want to let the tank go much below 1 ELG left, so the arithmetic of what's useable is now obvious, it's so simple.

I don't need to add that the conversion factor of 10 makes the arithmetic trivially simple. And it gets rid of the need to use decimal points & digits after.
Yes to much of this but 10kWh is surely an electro liter, an electro gallon would be ~45kWh

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I think it's helpful to have a combined unit. Next green car convert miles/KWh to mpg so show a figure like 180 mpg for EVs. That makes sense to an ICE driver.

Where I think this really would help is PHEVs. In a PHEV we are often given an mpg figure that doesn't include the electricity used, that's very misleading. It would be helpful to have a figure for energy use and then also the split units for dinosaur juice and leccy.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I think it's helpful to have a combined unit. Next green car convert miles/KWh to mpg so show a figure like 180 mpg for EVs. That makes sense to an ICE driver.

Where I think this really would help is PHEVs. In a PHEV we are often given an mpg figure that doesn't include the electricity used, that's very misleading. It would be helpful to have a figure for energy use and then also the split units for dinosaur juice and leccy.
To be clear I think the combined unit should be KWh.
I think it is helpful when a PHEV shows very clearly the efficiency of the electric and petrol drive trains, so we easily understand that fundamental difference that the ICE basically wastes vast amounts of energy.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wouldn't it be more helpful to sell petrol in kWh! We even see domestic gas on our bills in those units now. It will never happen of course.
Yes, but it ain't going to happen.Nice try.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would recommend to start using the metric system. Electrolitre...

Maybe in 10 years time (see what I did there? :)) we can then understand each other globally.
I like ElectroLitre. But how many here in UK think of litres of petrol in their ICE? I know it's archaic, but we've been brought up to be familiar with gallons of petrol, not litres. At least I was! We need input here, from someone well under the age of 50 ...

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I like ElectroLitre. But how many here in UK think of litres of petrol in their ICE? I know it's archaic, but we've been brought up to be familiar with gallons of petrol, not litres. At least I was! We need input here, from someone well under the age of 50 ...
If it helps I had my car serviced yesterday so had to drive a loaner ICE for the day.
My daughter was in the car for 20 mins, after which she threw up on the way out and then announced that she would rather stay home for ever than to get in a smelly diesel ever again.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is as archaic as using the centimetre because it was widely compared to the inch.

Abuse of decimal unit prefixes is serious business.
Not sure who's being accused of abusing decimal points! Me for scaling up by 10 to make them redundant? Or BornAgainWarrior for mentioning litres? I think you mean me.

Yes, it's very similar to the CGS/MKS arguments years ago. But I still think we need a way to make all this electrickery much simpler for Joe in the street to understand & grasp with minimum effort. I would argue the ELG does just this. It's like having pints of beer, we all know what that's like. How many want to change to litres of beer in your local? We need something familiar, a transitional thing to help make the changeover to kWh easier, and I would argue the ELG is a very neat & simple way to help this process.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
My children would like to suggest the universal unit should be dead cute animals per mile.
Obviously the ugly animals don't count.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To be clear I think the combined unit should be KWh.
I think it is helpful when a PHEV shows very clearly the efficiency of the electric and petrol drive trains, so we easily understand that fundamental difference that the ICE basically wastes vast amounts of energy.
We're already operating with kWh, and it's fine for us techhies, but gobbledegook to Joe Petrol Public. That's a big problem, how do we educate the newbies & uncertains out there.

Agreed the Phevs should not be merging the 2 energy sources the way they do. But that's a different issue. Otoh, how nice it would be to see Phev X described as 1 ELG at 28 miles/ELG, and 7 gallon tank at 35 MPG. The figures are immediately comparable, and easily understood.

The issue of petrol wasting energy is a side issue here. The same could be claimed for the electricity, IF it's all being generated using coal/oil, etc. This ELG concept is about making the car specs & ranges easily grasped.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can we all not agree that the new unit of energy should be called the 'Smug'?

As in: "My EV only uses 2.5 Smugs per 100 miles"

Smug
Might go down well in an episode of Red Dwarf, but doesn't cut it here with me! What are the words corresponding to your proposed 4-letter acronym? ;) :)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts