Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

New user here and I am (or will be very soon once the dealers start deliveries again) the proud owner of a Kia E-Niro.

I'm currently debating which is the best charger to install - I have a quote for £450 from Pod Point and one from Smart Home Charge for £582 for an Ohme charger. I know EVM recommended SmartHomeCharge and Ohme are favourites of Octopus Energy (my supplier) but obviously £130 difference....?

Does anyone here have any thoughts/opinions on which might be better to go for? I don't know which is going to be better for smart connectivity, charging timers etc. so any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Hi all

New user here and I am (or will be very soon once the dealers start deliveries again) the proud owner of a Kia E-Niro.

I'm currently debating which is the best charger to install - I have a quote for £450 from Pod Point and one from Smart Home Charge for £582 for an Ohme charger. I know EVM recommended SmartHomeCharge and Ohme are favourites of Octopus Energy (my supplier) but obviously £130 difference....?

Does anyone here have any thoughts/opinions on which might be better to go for? I don't know which is going to be better for smart connectivity, charging timers etc. so any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers
Are your quotes based on video survey, photos, site visit?

What's the offer.conditions.

The price difference might disappear....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Get at least three quotes. Don't rely on the basic price as depending on the difficulty of wiring into your house the price may change dramatically. I went for a tethered PodPoint as they consdered it a standard install whereas some suppliers wanted extras., but if you have solar power you may want something more intelligent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. The SmartHomeCharge (SMC) one was based on photos and video, online site survey basically. As you say, the Pod Point guys said it was a standard install (I talked one of their advisors through the layout of our house) although that wasn't based on a site survey or any photos. The Pod Point one does make me feel as if they'll say, 'Aha! This is non-standard, that'll be an extra £150!' I don't have solar power or anything too fancy. Main thing for me is having a charger that can take advantage of the Octopus EV tariffs.

From where I stand (i.e. a novice) there's no obvious difference between the Ohme charger and the Pod Point.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I had a tethered pod point installed 2.5 years ago, the installation was covered by the grant and NISSAN free charger offer. It has been very reliable and touch wood, have had no issues.

The installation was basic and straight forward however there is a requirement that the electric supply to the property is protected by a 100 amp fuse. Quiet often older properties only have an 80 amp fuse which can be an issue, the good news is that your electric supplier will update the fuse free of charge on request. However this can be a stumbling block on installation day if not previously considered.

The other issue I had was that the installer, a contractor of pod point, broke and removed the seal on the meter and I had to get my supplier SSE to install a new seal. SSE raised a complaint against pod point for unauthorised access to their installation, fortunately I took photos of before and after installation which proved it was them that did it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
The other issue I had was that the installer, a contractor of pod point, broke and removed the seal on the meter and I had to get my supplier SSE to install a new seal. SSE raised a complaint against pod point for unauthorised access to their installation, fortunately I took photos of before and after installation which proved it was them that did it.
This is common with PodPoint apparently. But do you mean the seal on the main fuse not the meter? I noticed the main fuse seal had been broken and rang PodPoint to ask them to re-visit to seal it but they said they couldn't do that and that I must ring the DNO. They came out within three hours and the engineer said that this was a common complaint. He said they would raise an invoice with PP for his visit.

He explained that the PP engineer did that for two reasons. One was so that he could then work with grid supply off and the second was that he wanted to be sure that the fuse inside the 100 amp holder was in fact 100 amps and not a more usual 80 amp one. But there are procedures to cover both of those situations and the engineers prefer to take a short cut hoping that the homeowner would not notice the broken seal. If they get away with 50% that still saves them money and time by only paying for 50% DNO visits.

·
jim5452
120 Posts
Hi all

Cheers
In you last paragraph" so any advice would be gratefully received."
I am not going to sway you in any way, but if you are considering an OHME you will possible need to be on OCTOPUS AGILE if you are not already on that as the Ohme is designed to work with that to charge at cheapest rate

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Might be worth considering whether it's a good thing to deal with a company that tampers with seals when it is not authorised to do so. Made worse by sloping off and not informing the householder.

A better approach is to contact the DNO directly ( the homeowner) and ask them to verify in writing the fuse rating and earthing arrangement.

Then all the required information is to hand to form the basis of the EVSE installation.

·
Registered
257 Posts
m currently debating which is the best charger to install - I have a quote for £450 from Pod Point and one from Smart Home Charge for £582 for an Ohme charger. I know EVM recommended SmartHomeCharge and Ohme are favourites of Octopus Energy (my supplier) but obviously £130 difference....?
Smart Home Charge installed our Ohme for £460. My guess is they have spotted something in your installation that justifies another £100. Work on understanding that, probably by comparing quotes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts