Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a Zoe (ZE40) a few years ago, but got rid when covid kicked off due to working from home full time, along with some family circumstances meaning funds were a bit tight at the time so it felt a bit of a waste to have it just sitting on the drive.

Currently driving an old Octavia estate, but wanting to get back into an EV again, and it seems things have moved on significantly since I was last in the market, so a bit spoiled for choice!

I'd be looking at getting it through my employer's salary sacrifice scheme, so things like warranty, maintenance, tyre costs etc. aren't so much of a consideration.

Main requirements:
  • Real world range: ~200 miles - my mum lives exactly 200 miles door to door, so being able to do this trip in 1 would be perfect, although we usually stop en-route, so if it's close enough that a quick 15 min splash & dash would get us the rest of the way then that would be acceptable too.
  • Decent charging speed (and availability), ties in with the above; the Zoe I had was 22kW AC only charging, and while it was fine most of the time, not going to lie, it was a right pain in the rear having to sit at services for a couple of hours when it DID need charging (and also finding a decent AC charger). It looks like most of the options now have at least 50kW DC charging, so hopefully not something to worry about, but worth mentioning anyway.
  • Big boot: 2 kids and we go camping a few times a year, so need space to get all the stuff in - it doesn't look like there's anything which is going to get close to the Octavia, but there are quite a few with 4-500L, so this kind of size. The ability to put a roofbox on would be a definite bonus.
Other than the above, I don't think there's much I'm fussed about, other than comfort and reliability.

So in terms of budget, the following are around the right price range:
  • MG ZS Long Range
  • MG 5 Long Range
  • Kia E-Niro Long Range
  • Kia E-Niro 64 kWh (is this the same as above?)
  • Nissan Leaf E+
  • Peugeot E-2008

MG ZS Long Range

Looking at the SE version (Trophy adds ~£15/month, worth it?):

The cheapest option, although not by much!

100kW charging
273 miles range
470L boot

Seems to be the most up-to-date of the MG range (except maybe the 4, but that's too small). Ticks all the boxes, with great range and charging, boot isn't huge, but can take roof rails/box. Not seen one in the flesh, but looks quite nice from photos. How is the MG build quality though? Not going to set the world on fire in performance, but otherwise seems like a good option

MG 5 Long Range

Again the SE version (Trophy adds ~£27/month, worth it?)

Only a couple of £ more than the ZS
  • 87kW charging
  • 250 miles range
  • 578L boot (to roof)
Seems the logical option to be honest, looks like just a facelift of the original 5, so an older platform, meaning slightly lower range (and slower charging?) than the ZS, but made up for by increased boot space. Again, possible concerns about build quality and feeling cheap, (although this is more of a "want" than "need" ;)).

Kia E-Niro Long Range/64kWh

The system is showing 2 different 64kWh Niro variants - I'm guessing one is the "long range" version of the old model and the other is the current model? Price difference between them is in single figures/month. Based on the spec sheet, ideally I'd be looking at the "3" level in the current version, plus the heat pump option, (although the "old" model 4+ which has heat pump as standard is the same price) - both about 18% more than the MG options, so quite a bit of a difference there.
  • 100kW charging
  • 285 miles range
  • 450/475L boot
Very similar spec to the ZS, but a bit better range, need to pore over the spec sheets to see what the tangible differences are, but otherwise, any particular reason to go for one over the other?

Nissan Leaf E+

A few options here, cost ~ 10% more than the MGs, so not a huge difference
  • 50kW charging
  • 239 miles range
  • 435L boot
Looking at the specs, I guess this is probably the worst option, but I've always liked the Leaf (and it's the only one I've actually test driven - I originally wanted one instead of the Zoe) so it's on the list! Build quality seems pretty good, and performance is nice. Biggest downside = Chademo charging :(

Peugeot E-2008

Honestly, I know nothing about this one, but it popped up in the search results, so figured I'd include it for the sake of completion. Cost is same as the Leaf E+ Tekna, so at the top end of the budget.
  • 100kW charging
  • 226 miles range
  • 434L boot
Similar spec to the Leaf, but with faster CCS charging, otherwise, quality, etc. is an unknown - is it worth looking at further?

=====

Would appreciate any feedback on the above - if you were choosing, which would it be and why? Any other options I should consider around the same sort of price range? Anything releasing in the next few months that I might not be aware of and would be worth waiting for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Audi e tron 55 (delivered 9/21)
181 Posts
All good options, guess the deciding factors will include delivery date and the cost of the salary sacrifice leasing options. I read a road test this week about the new Renault eMegane, maybe that should be added to the list, especially given your previous positive experience with Renault.
I’m not aware of anything about to come on sale. All will meet your needs, they have space for luggage, have good range and are nicer to use than the petrol/diesel equivalents. As you say, it’s not always about absolute range, it’s the ability to top up at a rapid charger to complete the journey with a comfortable margin.

My brother in law recently bought a new MG ZS petrol. It’s a budget car, in the lower spec. I was quite surprised about how good the interior is. The seats are good, the plastics look and feel nice. The touchscreen works very well. Sure, it’s not a match for my Audi but my Audi isn’t 4x better At 4x the price. In the higher spec the Peugeot also has a lovely interior, and every car mag recommends the Kia. If you have the opportunity, go take a look at the MGs.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the response - just had a look at the Megane, and even the cheapest option is 25% more than the MGs, so probably not worth considering at this stage. There are both Kia and MG dealers not too far away so I'll see about getting some test drives booked in :)

Edit: yes - lead times is a good point that I need to factor in, once I have my shortlist trimmed down I'll speak to the lease co and try to get some availability details for the options.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Have had a ZS Mk1 and now the LR Mk2. Build quality is decent, comparable to low-mid VW and better than SEAT.

Performance is good - think 2.0TD acceleration with the instant take-off.

Shove is pretty solid well past 70mph where the Mk1 was starting to tail off.

200 miles certainly doable from 100% unless you insist on constant 70+mph on wet cold roads.

Prices a bit closer to the Koreans now (I got decent discount online ordering Nov 21)

Assume Soul 64 is not on the list - seems cheaper online and boot isn't as small as the original.

Also assume given the name you live in Scotland - dunno if the 0% loans are still operating though I think they are limited to used cars now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
On the Kia:
  • "eNiro" was the old name, and the new name is now "Niro EV", so make sure that's the name to make sure you're on the 2022+ model.
  • Long-range and 64kWh battery are indeed likely the same thing, as a smaller battery pack is available on certain trim levels. but is likely a throwback to the old model as the new model is only available with the 64kWh battery pack.
  • Optioning in the heat pump is pointless in this country - you won't claw back the cost in saved efficiency. If it comes as standard then fine, but I don't believe it does on any spec.
  • Charging speed is not 100kW. The highest you'll see is 77 or 80kW, and that is only under the most perfect conditions. You'll likely see closer to 50-60kW outside of the hottest summer days.

·
Registered
2021 Lexus UX300e
3,006 Posts
I had a Zoe (ZE40) a few years ago, but got rid when covid kicked off due to working from home full time, along with some family circumstances meaning funds were a bit tight at the time so it felt a bit of a waste to have it just sitting on the drive.

Currently driving an old Octavia estate, but wanting to get back into an EV again, and it seems things have moved on significantly since I was last in the market, so a bit spoiled for choice!

I'd be looking at getting it through my employer's salary sacrifice scheme, so things like warranty, maintenance, tyre costs etc. aren't so much of a consideration.

Main requirements:
  • Real world range: ~200 miles - my mum lives exactly 200 miles door to door, so being able to do this trip in 1 would be perfect, although we usually stop en-route, so if it's close enough that a quick 15 min splash & dash would get us the rest of the way then that would be acceptable too.
  • Decent charging speed (and availability), ties in with the above; the Zoe I had was 22kW AC only charging, and while it was fine most of the time, not going to lie, it was a right pain in the rear having to sit at services for a couple of hours when it DID need charging (and also finding a decent AC charger). It looks like most of the options now have at least 50kW DC charging, so hopefully not something to worry about, but worth mentioning anyway.
  • Big boot: 2 kids and we go camping a few times a year, so need space to get all the stuff in - it doesn't look like there's anything which is going to get close to the Octavia, but there are quite a few with 4-500L, so this kind of size. The ability to put a roofbox on would be a definite bonus.
Other than the above, I don't think there's much I'm fussed about, other than comfort and reliability.

So in terms of budget, the following are around the right price range:
  • MG ZS Long Range
  • MG 5 Long Range
  • Kia E-Niro Long Range
  • Kia E-Niro 64 kWh (is this the same as above?)
  • Nissan Leaf E+
  • Peugeot E-2008

MG ZS Long Range

Looking at the SE version (Trophy adds ~£15/month, worth it?):

The cheapest option, although not by much!

100kW charging
273 miles range
470L boot

Seems to be the most up-to-date of the MG range (except maybe the 4, but that's too small). Ticks all the boxes, with great range and charging, boot isn't huge, but can take roof rails/box. Not seen one in the flesh, but looks quite nice from photos. How is the MG build quality though? Not going to set the world on fire in performance, but otherwise seems like a good option

MG 5 Long Range

Again the SE version (Trophy adds ~£27/month, worth it?)

Only a couple of £ more than the ZS
  • 87kW charging
  • 250 miles range
  • 578L boot (to roof)
Seems the logical option to be honest, looks like just a facelift of the original 5, so an older platform, meaning slightly lower range (and slower charging?) than the ZS, but made up for by increased boot space. Again, possible concerns about build quality and feeling cheap, (although this is more of a "want" than "need" ;)).

Kia E-Niro Long Range/64kWh

The system is showing 2 different 64kWh Niro variants - I'm guessing one is the "long range" version of the old model and the other is the current model? Price difference between them is in single figures/month. Based on the spec sheet, ideally I'd be looking at the "3" level in the current version, plus the heat pump option, (although the "old" model 4+ which has heat pump as standard is the same price) - both about 18% more than the MG options, so quite a bit of a difference there.
  • 100kW charging
  • 285 miles range
  • 450/475L boot
Very similar spec to the ZS, but a bit better range, need to pore over the spec sheets to see what the tangible differences are, but otherwise, any particular reason to go for one over the other?

Nissan Leaf E+

A few options here, cost ~ 10% more than the MGs, so not a huge difference
  • 50kW charging
  • 239 miles range
  • 435L boot
Looking at the specs, I guess this is probably the worst option, but I've always liked the Leaf (and it's the only one I've actually test driven - I originally wanted one instead of the Zoe) so it's on the list! Build quality seems pretty good, and performance is nice. Biggest downside = Chademo charging :(

Peugeot E-2008

Honestly, I know nothing about this one, but it popped up in the search results, so figured I'd include it for the sake of completion. Cost is same as the Leaf E+ Tekna, so at the top end of the budget.
  • 100kW charging
  • 226 miles range
  • 434L boot
Similar spec to the Leaf, but with faster CCS charging, otherwise, quality, etc. is an unknown - is it worth looking at further?

=====

Would appreciate any feedback on the above - if you were choosing, which would it be and why? Any other options I should consider around the same sort of price range? Anything releasing in the next few months that I might not be aware of and would be worth waiting for?

Thanks!
I think you've done the research. I would test drive your top 3 or 4, then go on line for discounted (you might find some canceled orders) prices for the top two. Do a spreadsheet.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have had a ZS Mk1 and now the LR Mk2. Build quality is decent, comparable to low-mid VW and better than SEAT.

Performance is good - think 2.0TD acceleration with the instant take-off.

Shove is pretty solid well past 70mph where the Mk1 was starting to tail off.

200 miles certainly doable from 100% unless you insist on constant 70+mph on wet cold roads.

Prices a bit closer to the Koreans now (I got decent discount online ordering Nov 21)

Assume Soul 64 is not on the list - seems cheaper online and boot isn't as small as the original.

Also assume given the name you live in Scotland - dunno if the 0% loans are still operating though I think they are limited to used cars now.
The Soul 64 is significantly more expensive and too small (spec says 315L), so not really an option I'd consider.

Sadly no longer in Scotland (stuck in the Midlands for now!), but as I'd be using the salary sacrifice scheme, that wouldn't really be relevant anyway :)

On the Kia:
  • "eNiro" was the old name, and the new name is now "Niro EV", so make sure that's the name to make sure you're on the 2022+ model.
  • Long-range and 64kWh battery are indeed likely the same thing, as a smaller battery pack is available on certain trim levels. but is likely a throwback to the old model as the new model is only available with the 64kWh battery pack.
  • Optioning in the heat pump is pointless in this country - you won't claw back the cost in saved efficiency. If it comes as standard then fine, but I don't believe it does on any spec.
  • Charging speed is not 100kW. The highest you'll see is 77 or 80kW, and that is only under the most perfect conditions. You'll likely see closer to 50-60kW outside of the hottest summer days.
Thanks - good to know about the heat pump, and you're right, looks like the data on our quote system is wrong, as they're showing it as 100kW, but Kia site does say 80kW.

Is the 2022 model a significant upgrade from the 2020? Considering the price difference is negligible, I assume it's best to make sure to get the newer one.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have a Leaf e+. 200 miles real world range is about what I would expect in good conditions with careful driving. If you need 200 whatever, I'm afraid it won't quite cut it.

From what I understand, although I don't own one, it's a similar story with the Peugeot. Will not do 200 miles in bad conditions.

If I needed longer range than my Leaf, I would go for the e-Niro or Niro EV. My neighbour owns an e-Niro First Edition. It will do 200 in pretty much any conditions and he is very happy with it overall. It has a significantly bigger battery than the Leaf (somewhere between 10-15% bigger -- Nissan and KIA don't measure them in the same way), and is also more efficient in terms of miles/kWh by a similar amount.

Good luck with your search!

Kind regards
- Garry

·
Registered
972 Posts
Close run thing between the Niro EV and MG ZS or MG 5 for me. In the end we went for the Niro because my wife didn't want an estate and the ZS I wasn't overly impressed with the efficiency. I would say the Niro has a slightly more 'premium' feeling dash and interior but there's nothing to dislike on the MGs now they aren't using the infotainment that was like a throwback to the 1990's.

You won't get an old model Niro new, they only make the Niro EV now.

200 miles on the motorway at motorway speeds is absolutely achievable with the Niro EV. Last week I did Cardiff to Norfolk. I stopped at a Shell in Watford to charge. Charged to 55%, drove home at night, cold and at times raining, going like a bat out of hell and arrived with 13% charge - 97 miles charger to door.

Reactions: kurokawa

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks - good to know about the heat pump, and you're right, looks like the data on our quote system is wrong, as they're showing it as 100kW, but Kia site does say 80kW.

Is the 2022 model a significant upgrade from the 2020? Considering the price difference is negligible, I assume it's best to make sure to get the newer one.
The upgrade is a much nicer exterior, and the interior has a nice upgrade, bringing it closer to the EV6. This does mean a few extra "touch" controls rather than the physical buttons that were there in the old model, but I doubt it'd be unbearable. I don't think you can get the old one now to be honest. The Niro EV (and the Hyundai Kona) are both solid, competent EVs. I echo the statements above about getting over 200mi range even on the motorway, though it could still be getting a little close if that journey is during the winter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Currently running a new ZS LR Trophy I would highly recommend it!

Range is easily 200+ miles at decent dual carriageway/motorway speeds, efficiency gets up to and beyond 4 miles/kWh in good weathers, went down to 3.3 miles/kWh on a recent trip into and out of central London from Suffolk over the weekend. Given the price for the range, spec, and build quality it's hard to beat (except by the MG 4 and 5).

Trophy comes with a few things absent on lower specs (heated seats, all driver aids [may be standard on SE, not sure]).

The main downsides are the slightly dubious software which occasionally has a meltdown (auto high beam going haywire, radio refusing to change station, lack of regen when on adaptive cruise). The boot also seems smaller in real life than I think it is measured at, likely due to the car being relatively high while the boot is fairly narrow and shallow. There is also a major comfort point which is a lack of reach adjustment for the steering wheel - not a problem for me, but is for my wife.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Peugeot e2008 - Unless Peugeot have done a magical upgrade, I would say you'll be well short on range. I gave my 2020 model back off lease three months ago - in practice (motorway use) it would not do more than 150 miles, and that would be with no aircon/heating.
And the 100kw charging is only for a very small percentage of a charge, mostly it's 50kw

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a Leaf e+. 200 miles real world range is about what I would expect in good conditions with careful driving. If you need 200 whatever, I'm afraid it won't quite cut it.

From what I understand, although I don't own one, it's a similar story with the Peugeot. Will not do 200 miles in bad conditions.

If I needed longer range than my Leaf, I would go for the e-Niro or Niro EV. My neighbour owns an e-Niro First Edition. It will do 200 in pretty much any conditions and he is very happy with it overall. It has a significantly bigger battery than the Leaf (somewhere between 10-15% bigger -- Nissan and KIA don't measure them in the same way), and is also more efficient in terms of miles/kWh by a similar amount.

Good luck with your search!

Kind regards
- Garry
Thanks - looks like the Leaf and e-2008 are off the list then!

Close run thing between the Niro EV and MG ZS or MG 5 for me. In the end we went for the Niro because my wife didn't want an estate and the ZS I wasn't overly impressed with the efficiency. I would say the Niro has a slightly more 'premium' feeling dash and interior but there's nothing to dislike on the MGs now they aren't using the infotainment that was like a throwback to the 1990's.

You won't get an old model Niro new, they only make the Niro EV now.

200 miles on the motorway at motorway speeds is absolutely achievable with the Niro EV. Last week I did Cardiff to Norfolk. I stopped at a Shell in Watford to charge. Charged to 55%, drove home at night, cold and at times raining, going like a bat out of hell and arrived with 13% charge.
I guess it's possible that they have some of the older Niros in stock somewhere? Or they just haven't updated their database to remove it yet!

Currently running a new ZS LR Trophy I would highly recommend it!

Range is easily 200+ miles at decent dual carriageway/motorway speeds, efficiency gets up to and beyond 4 miles/kWh in good weathers, went down to 3.3 miles/kWh on a recent trip into and out of central London from Suffolk over the weekend. Given the price for the range, spec, and build quality it's hard to beat (except by the MG 4 and 5).

Trophy comes with a few things absent on lower specs (heated seats, all driver aids [may be standard on SE, not sure]).

The main downsides are the slightly dubious software which occasionally has a meltdown (auto high beam going haywire, radio refusing to change station, lack of regen when on adaptive cruise). The boot also seems smaller in real life than I think it is measured at, likely due to the car being relatively high while the boot is fairly narrow and shallow. There is also a major comfort point which is a lack of reach adjustment for the steering wheel - not a problem for me, but is for my wife.
Thanks - definitely sounds like it needs a test drive (and inspection with a tape measure :p)

I've emailed the lease co. now asking for lead times on the MGs and Niro, and will see about arranging some test drives, cheers all :)

·
Registered
972 Posts
I guess it's possible that they have some of the older Niros in stock somewhere? Or they just haven't updated their database to remove it yet!
Nope, definitely not. People with orders for the old version on lease deals had them cancelled this spring/early summer when Kia announced they were making no more. If by some miracle there were some in stock at the point they will have been long since delivered.
More likely just someone hasn't removed it from the database,

Reactions: Rbrian

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF 24 and various old ICE
11,296 Posts
If you are considering an MG then the MG4 is considerably better than either the 5 or the ZS - a purpose designed EV rather than an EV conversion of a dated ICE. The passenger space is considerably better even if the boot space is slightly smaller than the 5. The battery options are the same. Only question is whether they are available from your lease company?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They don't meet your range criteria but the e-Berlingo/e-Rifter/Combo-E Life have a bigger boot than the vehicles you have mentioned and can take a top box and tow bar so more room for camping. Occasionally ex-demonstrators come on for £26K...
I think any of the more "van" like options are going to be a big compromise on day-to-day use, just to be slightly more practical on the occasions we need to load it up, so not really worth looking at

If you are considering an MG then the MG4 is considerably better than either the 5 or the ZS - a purpose designed EV rather than an EV conversion of a dated ICE. The passenger space is considerably better even if the boot space is slightly smaller than the 5. The battery options are the same. Only question is whether they are available from your lease company?
Honestly, I'd love to go for the MG4, it's really nice (especially in that sexy Volcano Orange) but the boot is very small in comparison to the other options, and as far as I can tell there's no option for a roof box either, so while it would be fine in daily use, the increased range/charge speed useful in long journeys would be moot as the car would be too small to take all our stuff!

Looking some more at the Niro, and it seems the boot capacity is measured including the under floor storage, so the actual usable capacity is closer to 380L, this is very much swinging it towards the MG5. Also has the bonus that this has the shortest lead time 😁

·
Registered
3 Posts
  • The ability to put a roofbox on would be a definite bonus.
If putting a roofbox on is a consideration you may need to go for the Trophy spec of the ZS EV as the SE trim doesn't come with roof rails and not sure if they can be mounted otherwise.

That said I have had mine for just over a week and pleasantly surprised by it so far. Had first 240 motorway trip this morning from Glasgow to Cheshire and even with low temperatures just about managed 200 miles from full.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
1,262 Posts
I had an Octavia some years ago great car, my ideal if only Skoda did it as an EV. The MG5 would seem the nearest to your requirements, and the original was on my short list but because of the lower range at the time I went for an E-Niro, which is brilliant, it's a 2020 Model 4 with Heat Pump, I don't think the addon cost on the current Niro EV is worth it. I looked at all the cars on your list and as I said it was a toss up between the MG5 and The Kia E-Niro, the E-Niro won on range. My efficiency last year was 4.6 m/kw and since June this year 4.7m/kw. Probably can't go far wrong with either car.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts