Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

121 - 141 of 190 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,569 Posts
Nobody with half a brain cell would buy a failing network of that size that needs every single charger replaced.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 BMW i3 120Ah / '20 Hyundai Kona 64kWh
2,436 Posts
It’s 10k signatures to even get a response. 100k to even be considered for a debate (in Westminster Hall, which no one takes a blind bit of notice of).

I’d be pleasantly surprised if 100 people write a letter.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Seems incredible to me. 5 years ago I bought a Leaf the EH had about 300 unreliable chargers and plenty of promises. 2 years ago I went back to ICE EH had about 300 unreliable chargers and plenty of promises. I have had the ICE for two years now and EH have about 300 unreliable chargers and plenty of promises. Please Dale wake up or hand the keys over to someone who cares.

·
2,436 Posts
Maybe the Gov’t doesn’t even necessarily need to take it over — there must be some sort of deal that could be struck whereby the Treasury just pays for the immediate replacement of all existing 50kW (43kW) units with reliable, modern equivalents. No need for grid infrastructure work for that to happen. The trouble is, this Government (like many others) seems incapable of not just simply considering the short term cost, but also considering the longer terms benefits resulting from that short term cost.

They could even maybe do a deal with BP and Freewire to install their ultra-rapid battery chargers which deliver 120kW but don’t need that sort of grid connection.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,731 Posts
Who is going to stop at Cherwell Valley now when the Instavolt hub at Banbury is just off the motorway, likewise who is going to stop at Newport Pagnell when the hub at Milton Keynes is just off the motorway, granted the facilities aren't as good but at least ths charging is reliable and faster too. Examples like this are popping up all over the country, the Electric Highway can't compete with these sites.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,569 Posts
Turnover of electric highway is about £750,000 per year. They're losing a million a year still.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,731 Posts
Seems incredible to me. 5 years ago I bought a Leaf the EH had about 300 unreliable chargers and plenty of promises. 2 years ago I went back to ICE EH had about 300 unreliable chargers and plenty of promises. I have had the ICE for two years now and EH have about 300 unreliable chargers and plenty of promises. Please Dale wake up or hand the keys over to someone who cares.
Why should EcoT benefit from public funding, I think it would be grossly unfair on the other vendors who are prepared to put the investment in but cant due to the secret deals that have been struck, just let the network die, EcoT havent got the funding to replace the old chargers so someone else will have to step in, the MSAs cant afford to not have EV charging facilities going forward.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Who is going to stop at Cherwell Valley now when the Instavolt hub at Banbury is just off the motorway, likewise who is going to stop at Newport Pagnell when the hub at Milton Keynes is just off the motorway, granted the facilities aren't as good but at least ths charging is reliable and faster too. Examples like this are popping up all over the country, the Electric Highway can't compete with these sites.
But you’ve said it yourself with the facilities bit. If I’m driving back from somewhere in the middle of the night I will stop at the existing MSA if I’m hungry and in need of a leak if the flashy new charging hub doesn’t have somewhere I can buy a sandwich and go to the toilet open late at night. Only, I’ll go to the MSA... plug into Ecotricity, charge will fail while I’m using the toilet/buying a sandwich, then I’ll have to go to the flashy new charging hub as well anyway. Talk about inconvenience...

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
436 Posts
Turnover of electric highway is about £750,000 per year. They're losing a million a year still.
If they had chargers able to provide a service that people pay for, their turnover may go up.

Do they even have a maintenance team or do they just leave them to rot when they fail?

·
2,436 Posts
They were moaning about losing money nearly 5 years ago — what have they been doing to try and turn things around? Not much, as far as I can see.

All I ever really here about Ecotricity is either a) "as usual it didn’t work so I went to Instavolt/Osprey/BP etc" or b) "yay, another successful charge on my Leaf, and it was on free vend again!"...

I think I can see the issue...

·
2,436 Posts
I’m at point now where even if it did work on CCS more often than not, I’d still not use it as I’d prefer to see it die as quickly as possible rather than stagger on for a few more years on the back of sales to me and people like me.

It deserves to fail as far as I’m concerned.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
They were moaning about losing money nearly 5 years ago — what have they been doing to try and turn things around? Not much, as far as I can see.

All I ever really here about Ecotricity is either a) "as usual it didn’t work so I went to Instavolt/Osprey/BP etc" or b) "yay, another successful charge on my Leaf, and it was on free vend again!"...

I think I can see the issue...

From that article in 2016 :-
"Despite the financial mismatch of the charging network, Ecotricity will continue to maintain and expand it due to its commitment to increase the use of electric vehicles across the UK.

Crowfoot added: "We are in that position to expand and we will expand, regardless of the revenue generation side of things because we're committed to this. We did this not because it makes money but because it's the right thing to do and we want to encourage people to drive electric cars and we'll carry on doing that."

If only they had installed one decent charger for every empty promise they have made.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Bill N

·
Registered
679 Posts
"Despite the financial mismatch of the charging network, Ecotricity will continue to maintain and expand it due to its commitment to increase the use of electric vehicles across the UK.

Crowfoot added: "We are in that position to expand and we will expand, regardless of the revenue generation side of things because we're committed to this. We did this not because it makes money but because it's the right thing to do and we want to encourage people to drive electric cars and we'll carry on doing that."

If only they had installed one decent charger for every empty promise they have made.:rolleyes:
”We did this not because it makes money but because... sorry, what was that massive oil company? You want to buy us out for our exclusivity agreements? Finally! We’ve been sitting on these things for years! I‘m rich! Rich!!!“ 🤑

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
436 Posts
5 years on, and that statement looks like a sick joke.

You are actively holding back the switch to EV Ecotricity. Just go, now. You have no credibility left.

·
Registered
448 Posts
They will never do all the others. They don't have the funds. They are, in my view, holding out for a buy out. They cannot seriously suggest they still have the roll out of EVs at the core of their mission.
Nail on head. They are trying to keep the exclusivity agreement, and use that as leverage to make them worth way more than they are in a buyout. I'm not sure what I'd prefer, let them sit and wait and never be bought out and lose loads of money, or actually someone to pay over the odds and do away with them ASAP for the greater good.

·
2,436 Posts
Ok, here’s what I think needs to happen.. we need to get to a position where the Government (OZEV) is directly engaging the MSA operators and also Ecotricity to sort out an immediate, short-term solution for an upgrade, and importantly before the upgraded grid connections are delivered in a 2-3+ years.

I believe that a number of the large and successful networks would be willing to fund the installation of new units to simply replace the existing Ecotricity units — so probably just 50kW units — but at least they would work.

In terms of making this happen, it may be that the best way is via the EVA as they probably have good access to OZEV, and the networks that would provide the new units probably can’t really push OZEV too much as they stand to benefit.

So it probably does fall to EV drivers to make their voices heard so that the EVA can push OZEV to instigate a solution ASAP.

121 - 141 of 190 Posts