Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following on from a Leaf 30 4 day test drive a few months ago I've ended up with a Citroen C Zero.

Just about burst out laughing when I saw it for the first time but it's a hoot to drive!

My old city-car was past it and need many repairs and didn't fancy buying petrol anymore so giving this a whirl.

Fortunately where it is parked most days there are rapids and short walk along the road there are posts/rapids. Currently free being in Scotland. Although arranging a home charger too.

It's just for commuting/local journeys for kids where fuel costs really rack up. Besides wife has a diesel Golf for longer trips.

Anyone ever attached a bike to the Citroen? Thinking of just getting the Thule clamp kit for my existing bars used on the fox?

Cheers All

PS Car parks are a pain... People just mill about and won't get out the way as there is no engine to hear ;-)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a wee update :)

MTB bike fits in the back with the wheels off which is great, one less thing to buy :)

Rekon it will save £2200 per year between fuel and vehicle tax, not bad for a 63 plate £4k EV!

As I'm not a book worm to save the boredom at charging points I'm touching the odd stone-chip and giving it a really good polish bit by bit.

On the to do list, bits ordered, check and clean drums, change brake fluid and rear drive oil. All pretty simple. Pollen filter at some point too.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
10,905 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PS Still not brave enough to take it through the McDonalds Drive Through for fear of teenagers smirking, one day...

Being red it looks like a little ladybird. Just need some black spots and headlight eyelashes from Halfords to complete the look!

Cheers

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
102kwh used in the first 11 days

Also offsetting many of the wife’s diesel journeys too saving even more.

Public only charging going well so far. Still waiting on that v5 for home charger.

Cheers Colin

·
Read Only
871 Posts
Ah thanks, they are rear wheel drive and its just another name for the gear oil. I'm sure I read the LEAF gear oil is to be changed every 8 years, can't remember though.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Following on from a Leaf 30 4 day test drive a few months ago I've ended up with a Citroen C Zero.

Just about burst out laughing when I saw it for the first time but it's a hoot to drive!
Welcome to the club. :)

On paper the specs (range, acceleration etc) are nothing amazing, but they have character and charm and are fun to drive. Acceleration as you've probably found is surprisingly nippy in the 20-40mph range and I regularly leave other cars who weren't expecting me to dart off in the dust. Pity they knobbled the acceleration from 0-15mph though.
It's just for commuting/local journeys for kids where fuel costs really rack up. Besides wife has a diesel Golf for longer trips.
Mine is doing about 38 miles a day commuting, in just over a year I've done 13,000 miles...
Just a wee update :)

MTB bike fits in the back with the wheels off which is great, one less thing to buy :)
Eh ? :eek: I presume you mean with both rear seats folded down and no rear passengers. :D I haven't tried my mountain bike in the car yet...
On the to do list, bits ordered, check and clean drums, change brake fluid and rear drive oil. All pretty simple. Pollen filter at some point too.
The brakes on these seem to need a little bit of maintenance, if you check in the PSA section of the forum you'll find a long thread of mine talking about this with pics.

The rear drums can get "grabby", when touching the brake lightly in cold/wet weather, I actually had my rear left drum lock up completely a couple of times while stopped and it wouldn't let go until I reversed... A bit of stripping, clean/lube and reassembly seems to have cured it.

Front discs and pads I had to change, the discs were badly corroded and slightly warped causing vibration while braking along with a lot of grinding on the rust. The bottom caliper pin has a rubber sleeve on it so make sure not to use mineral grease on the pins only high temperature silicone - I had to replace the rubber sleeve on mine (dealer part) as it had swollen up and gone soft and was sticking due to someone prior to me using lithium grease on it.

Another job to add to your list is to clean and lube the gear shifter linkages and ball joints on the left hand side of the gearbox - it's very common for these to start seizing up due to salt road spray in the UK. This causes the gear lever to feel stiff and springy - if it gets too bad you may have difficulty engaging drive or park which can lead to the car going into limp mode or failing to charge. Easy to fix though with yearly lubrication. I have a thread about this with pictures over in the PSA section too.

That's about it really.
Public only charging going well so far. Still waiting on that v5 for home charger.
Is yours missing the 3 pin "granny charger" ? (Proper name, EVSE) You should have got one supplied with the car as they all came with one new.

I charged mine at home for 6 months just using the granny charger and a 10 metre outdoor extension cable before I got my Rolec wall charger installed.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tips, absolutely brilliant and appreciated :)

LOL, yeah back seats down for the bike.

Sadly no granny charger but lot's of public chargers nearby or on my beaten track.

Cheers

Colin

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Did you buy privately or through a dealer ? I would maybe chase them up to see what happened to the EVSE, maybe it was just misplaced and they weren't sure what it belonged to. They are around £300 to replace.

This is what the original OEM Yazaki one looks like, although any EVSE with a Type 1 plug (such as from a Leaf 30 or older) will work:

EVSE.JPG

Even though you don't technically need it once you have a wall charger (I almost never use mine now) I like having it around as a backup in case my wall charger ever broke, (as I need the car charged every day) although I wouldn't pay £300 to replace a missing one just to have it as a backup.

Potentially useful for charging when visiting family or somewhere like a caravan park.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Private sale. I was aware there was no EVSE included. Would have been nice to have but not a big issue. Time to take a wander to Tesco's, first time I've used that charger as I usually use the Council one's but popular today, then pick up a curry (y) Cheers

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
More details ? I have a mountain bike that I haven't used for a couple of years because it's a hassle to get it into the back of my ICE. (Seats folded down, front wheel off)

Now that I mostly drive my Ion, it won't even fit the bike at all.

·
Watford FC Supporter
103 Posts
That looks like a low cost range extender ☺
My son borrows the car occasionally and he manages to fit his bike inside.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I picked the carrier up from Gumtree this morning. It's a mint Halfords branded two bike rack. Seems rock solid after a test drive. Will make my half drive/cycle commute so much easier. Also handy cycling back to the house after leaving the car at charging post (y)Cheers

1 - 20 of 46 Posts