Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

We would love your help with what to call our new tariff, please select your preference from below:

• OVO EV Saver

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • OVO Electric Drive

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • OVO Green EV

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • OVO Smart EV

Votes: 7 8.8%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
24 kWh Nissan Leaf; Tesla Model 3
119 Posts
Would it be specific to EV owners, or could people with night storage heaters etc use it too? If the later, a broader name has merit.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Will the tariff be Ohme charger compatible? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,399 Posts
You can’t call it Smart EV, that’s the name of a car!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
You can’t call it Smart EV, that’s the name of a car!!!!!!
True. Anyone googling this name is going to get really confused! Avoid.

·
Registered
412 Posts
OVO is me perhaps.....

·
Registered
350 Posts
We're currently working on launching a brand new EV tariff which will offer cheap overnight energy and 100% green electricity.
Can I suggest something radical? Well we all know what Economy 7 means and what an Economy 7 tariff is and what's more we can find them and compare them on comparison sites because the name is also a standard and is used by every supplier. Economy 7 is a successful product, with millions of households using it because it's a universal term and a universal product offered by virtually all suppliers. There's also Economy 10, with 10 hours off-peak energy - its simple to understand, the number is the off-peak hours.

The trouble with EV tariffs is there's no standards for them and no standard name or trademark to identify them or their features, every supplier invents their own product with it's own unique little name, which sounds like good marketing but is actually rather short-sighted because how are customer's ever going to know about them? Or know what name to to go looking for? And they're never going to appear on a price comparison search engine because they're all small and bespoke. For example:

EdF 'GoElectric', E.ON 'Fix & Drive', Scottish Power 'Smart Power EV tariff', Octopus 'Go'.

Rather that trying to invent an entirely new custom name used exclusively by Ovo's tariff, which will be forgettable and will be forgotten because it won't get the brand name awareness and recognition in the market, how about adopting a standard name, the EV equivalent of Economy 7?

OVO EV x
where x is the amount of off-peak hours.

Taking your existing Economy 7 tariff and re-badging it; OVO EV 7.
New tariff with shorter 4 hour period of very low cost overnight hours: OVO EV 4 ... etc etc

Ultimately bespoke tariffs with unique names, offered by single suppliers will only go so far because they can't build the consumer awareness, it takes standardization to build that consumer awareness so that customers know there's EV tariffs and what to go searching for.

·
Registered
61 Posts
☝☝☝Really good point!
Product managers can get a little obsessed with their individual product names. It might help their colleagues inside the company know what they're referring to, but for the customer, it just creates confusion.

Look at it from the customer's perspective.

The customer faces a range of brands at company level (OVO V EDF V Octopus etc etc). There were over 60 active B2C energy supply brands last time I checked.
Then each supplier then adds their own product names to that mix. Suddenly the choice goes from 60 to hundreds, if not thousands of options.
The less obvious those product names are, the less helpful the product name is. For the customer.
So you end up having to explain what your creative product name meant anyway.

As I'm typing this, I'm looking at an ad for the Powerloop offer from Octopus. "What is Powerloop" is the first thing that pops into my head as someone outside of Octopus. Clearly someone in Octopus realised that customers wouldn't know at first glance what their creative product name meant, so they've put V2G in brackets right next to the product name!

It might be boring but maybe now is a time to take a leaf out of Ronseal's book on "does what it says on the tin" style product naming.
At this level, the product name is functional. So keep it that way and put your money into promoting the OVO brand.
And let's face it OVO, You're not inventing anything new here. You're just using a long-established industry convention - Economy 7 - with a label on it.

OVO EV 7 - does what it says. Simples. And radical. 🤯

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I liked the OVONight charge/saver idea or good old fashioned economy 7

Unless its linked to public charging or is V2G I'd totally avoid any EV references

as said earlier Smart EV is a bad idea due to the EV by the same name

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I've just requested a quote and was offered this :-
Unit rate: 16.6p per kWh
  • Night unit rate: 9.65p per kWh
  • Standing charge: 20.06p per day
  • Decided it must be some sort of practical joke !

I'm on Octopus Agile (because it works out cheaper for me than Octopus Go) so can't quote actual prices but FWIW, Go would want 14ppu daytime & 5ppu when charging car

1 - 20 of 59 Posts