Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
You might only need to cross the sea once... there's supposed to be another electric Vauxhall next year.
Yeah I'm thinking that. Vauxhall customer service advised me that Hurst's are in the process of training up a new EV tech, but this can take up to a year. Might head over on the ferry when the time comes & take the wife & kids & make a mini holiday out of it!

·
Registered
74 Posts
No its an 8 year warranty as my car is a 2014 model. My car only has 42500 miles on it too. I'll have to cross the Irish sea by the looks of it if I want to maintain the warranty!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
The problem is not whether the Vauxhall dealers become "EV trained" or not, it's that they won't be Ampera-trained. The PSA group's EV drivetrain uses completely different ECUs and diagnostic systems, let alone having a planetary gearbox and all sorts of engine modes in the mix as well. What Ampera knowledge that's out there is as far as it will go, for dealers - they will never be trained up in the Ampera.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The problem is not whether the Vauxhall dealers become "EV trained" or not, it's that they won't be Ampera-trained. The PSA group's EV drivetrain uses completely different ECUs and diagnostic systems, let alone having a planetary gearbox and all sorts of engine modes in the mix as well. What Ampera knowledge that's out there is as far as it will go, for dealers - they will never be trained up in the Ampera.
There will be a general HV education though that will be common to most EV cars and is to stop the tech from killing themselves. They will already be knowledgeable regarding the gm/opel/vaux diagnostic equipment and then it comes down to whether they are allowed to work on specific models with the right technical information resources but without specific training. I don't know how the training and certification works with Vaux but a year seems like a long time to get trained and certified in each model of car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Coincidence! I phoned them an hour ago to confirm that Johnny would definitely be working on Monday for my coolant change. The service manager said that Johnny had mis-spoken. He is not after all trained on HV's.
I'm going to BMG in Lucan to have it done next week.
Sean, I got on to Vauxhall Head Office to complain that on the whole island of Ireland, there is no one who can service our cars to maintain the warranty. They said they weren't aware that Charles Hurst no longer serviced them & were very concerned about it. A week later (today) I got a call from the executive support manager @ Vauxhall HQ to say they would cover any costs incurred to travel to the mainland to get my car serviced & they are even considering flying over an Ampera tech from the mainland to use Charles Hurst's equipment to carry out servicing. They said Charles Hurst should have a new HV technician in place by the time I'm due my following service next year.

·
Registered
64 Posts
W
Sean, I got on to Vauxhall Head Office to complain that on the whole island of Ireland, there is no one who can service our cars to maintain the warranty. They said they weren't aware that Charles Hurst no longer serviced them & were very concerned about it. A week later (today) I got a call from the executive support manager @ Vauxhall HQ to say they would cover any costs incurred to travel to the mainland to get my car serviced & they are even considering flying over an Ampera tech from the mainland to use Charles Hurst's equipment to carry out servicing. They said Charles Hurst should have a new HV technician in place by the time I'm due my following service next year.
Wow. Please give me contact details for this executive support manager. I would gladly travel to Glasgow for my coolant change if they'll pay for it! I actually asked them once before would they cover it... and was told no. I musta got the wrong manager!
What do you think I should press for : try to get them to pay for the ferry, or try to get them to send a mechanic to Belfast?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Do you have any contact details for the executive support manager, Hogzylla?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Correct, they're the indicators. As far as I know they don't even fit the bulbs behind the orange glass in 4x4s, and on other cars, they behave randomly when you reach the age of 70.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Do you have any contact details for the executive support manager, Hogzylla?
Her name is Joanne Heels & I got her on this email address. [email protected]. I was like you in that I was told initially over the phone that I’d have to cover costs to get to the mainland to maintain my warranty, so I contacted the motor ombudsman & they advised me to complain about the situation via email & if Vauxhall weren’t willing to help then they’d step in. I emailed with my concerns & told them I’d been in touch with the motor ombudsman. A couple of days later I got a call from Joanne & she was very helpful. I have to contact her again one month before my service is due & she’ll advise then if they are sending a tech to Belfast to service my car or if she’s going to sort the ferry etc. Either way I’m happy!

·
Registered
64 Posts
The has been a new FB page set up for Ampera owners. The original one never seemed to come to anything.
Hello, Amperans. I've seen a number of older posts about improving the quality of the headlamps.
But I wonder has anyone experienced my problem of a headlamp blowing... and actually melting the plastic socket into which the bulb assembly plugs? It's happened for the second time today. Last time I hadda source a bit of wiring/socket from an auto-spark, and splice it into the existing harness. So I'll hadda do the same again. Surely there's a fuse that should blow before plastic starts melting. I'll let ye know how I get on...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've replaced the bulb twice with ones of standard factory spec. I've yet to source a replacement bit of wire/socket... but was given a piece of advice : use some copper grease when fitting the new bulb.
I also asked about whether the left headlight fuse could be the problem...'not necessarily', was the answer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Copper grease??? Probably best not to get that stuff round electrics, its for metal on metal surfaces. I wonder if that has added a conductive path and caused the heating.
I've never used it before, but two auto-sparks have recommended it today. I get your concern : why use a conductive material like copper between two prongs and sockets?
I'm to meet the best auto-spark in town in two hours... I'll let you know his opinion.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just spoke with the second best auto-spark 'round here, and he says the copper grease should be lightly dabbed on the two socket holes... making sure there's no excess that could allow conductivity.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I wonder if they are suggesting using it as a heatsink conductor to take any heat from the bulb to the reflector, larger area to dissipate the heat? If so I would have thought to use more of a thermal compound, the same that is used it computer processors and heat sinks

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
About this Discussion
58 Replies
11 Participants
Sean Rodgers
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing