Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
NEW 500.
Well that's about time lol.
Maybe they'll use the current 500 motors in the new Panda (smaller car, if that's possible). and develop new (bigger ones) for the new 500.
Although there looks to be a Panda and a grande version ( although probably a normal sized Panda with plastic cladding).
Whatever, looking forward to seeing what Fiat have in store- hoping we'll even get a small Alfa with a pokey motor, now that would be interesting.

·
Registered
267 Posts
At least it might be EV from the ground up.
How old is a 500 now?- came out in 08 so they fudged an EV out of a 14 year old platform.
The 'New' 500e is on a ground up BEV platofrm, the old (2013) 500e that was only sold in the states was based on the old 500 platform, which was actually the Fiat Panda 169 platform so dates from 2003.
I expect this new Panda will be on the same BEV platform as the new 500e, in much the same way the previous 500 and Panda have shared a platform

·
Registered
297 Posts
The 'New' 500e is on a ground up BEV platofrm, the old (2013) 500e that was only sold in the states was based on the old 500 platform, which was actually the Fiat Panda 169 platform so dates from 2003.
I expect this new Panda will be on the same BEV platform as the new 500e, in much the same way the previous 500 and Panda have shared a platform
Right didn't realise that cheers for putting me right. 👍
Does that mean there's any more interior space, passenger or boot?- not actually looked in the new one in the flesh although it does look a lot nicer than the ICE version on photos.
The same boot would be a no from me, it's just too small- that said the Panda one won't like be huge but if they put sliding seats in like some on of high spec variants if current one that would work well.

·
Registered
297 Posts
More cheap?

I'm cheap, so, good for me. I'll take a look so long as it is a 200 mile winter range minimum.
You don't get cheaper than someone from Yorkshire.
A 15k EV with a 50 battery would do me just fine.
Don't need 200 miles in winter but It does have to be cheap.
I'd go a bit more for something with a stereo and one that goes over 30mph.
Seriously, EV's need to be cheap and basic so 15-18k for a battery and reasonable comfort shouldn't be too much to ask.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
2,113 Posts
I'd be very surprised at a 200 mile winter range. That requires efficiency witchcraft of the EQXX variety or at least a 50kWh battery. I can't see this taking the Zoe's small car range crown. It just needs to be less basic and have a more commuter friendly top speed than the Spring, at the right price. My guess is a 40kWh battery, maybe as small as 30kWh. It's whether they option it with something bigger at a sensible price.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Pandas are amazing little cars: five of us driving from Torino to an agriturismo up a road which became covered in snow as we climbed. No problem and tremendous fun, and not the 4WD version either. I've just checked the maps: my Italian friend would need a range of 90 winter miles for a regular trip she does so I can't see her getting one, but don't assume people use them purely as city cars in Italy.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I love the Panda. We still have a 15 year old 100hp. I would love a Panda EV, and I really hope (but sadly doubt) that they’ll make a 100hp equivalent with sharp handling and a bit more oomph. The combination of size, practicality and fun would be hard to beat.
Cool, I used to have a Panda 4x4 with Pirelli winters, unstoppable. Loved it before moving up to a Defender, definately didn't love the fuel consumption :LOL:

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
3,052 Posts
I actually kinda like the simplicity of this. I quite like the idea of stripping out all the unnecessary tech that gets jammed into cars nowadays that does nothing but make it expensive, and replacing it with the same phone I use for the other 23 hours a day.

I'll be interested to see the battery size and the boot!

I might even be tempted to give up the remote climate control from my Leaf if this turns out to be a good car, with good range, a battery that will last well, nice fast CCS charging and sensible luggage capacity 🤔 Ultimately I'd be delighted to just have my Leaf but with CCS and a bigger battery, but it doesn't seem like anyone's going to make that for a sensible price anymore.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
11,027 Posts
Problem is that the current safety led systems are adding significantly to the price of seemingly all UK delivered cars - airbags everywhere, EBD, ESP, LDW, ACC, Blind Spot/Rear crossing warning etc. The FIAT Panda had little if any of these systems (depending on the age that we are harking back to) and it'll be interesting to see if these are stripped out to get down to a price - they clearly cannot be replaced with a mobile phone App.
Speaking personally, I'd be happy without them but accept that I'm different to the majority.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Probably all about ncap ratings and EU regs.
Some of which have little or no impact on saving your life-TPMS?
Yes I want my car to give me some protection but I really don't want stuff that adds significantly to the price that work away away in the background and cost a fortune to fix when they inevitably go wrong out of warranty.
Simple, basic, a-b motoring is all I want.

·
Registered
12,027 Posts
P.S. Is it possible the swear filter has a typo?
There doesn't seem to be a swear filter here, as such, but there are a lot of common usage English words that are blocked. You can use most swear words here, but woe betide anyone using innocent geological terms or describing what they had for lunch, as doing so may well lead to censorship. The way post censorship works here is simply baffling, given that it seems not to censor offensive language, but instead censors words that aren't at all offensive (at least here).

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
11,027 Posts
Probably all about ncap ratings and EU regs.
Some of which have little or no impact on saving your life-TPMS?
Yes I want my car to give me some protection but I really don't want stuff that adds significantly to the price that work away away in the background and cost a fortune to fix when they inevitably go wrong out of warranty.
Simple, basic, a-b motoring is all I want.
TPMS - legal requirement ported from European laws into ours. Sadly a significant number of accidents were caused by low tyre pressures before this became a thing:

In 2015, almost a third (32.6%) of accidents in the UK in which vehicle defects were a contributory factor were due to under inflated, defective or illegal tyres – including 112 serious accidents and 14 fatalities
https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fl...yre-pressures-put-millions-of-drivers-at-risk

People have become reliant on the annual service or "Nanny" systems to do it for them and I don't think that we'll ever be allowed to go back to not having it.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
3,052 Posts
Problem is that the current safety led systems are adding significantly to the price of seemingly all UK delivered cars - airbags everywhere, EBD, ESP, LDW, ACC, Blind Spot/Rear crossing warning etc. The FIAT Panda had little if any of these systems (depending on the age that we are harking back to) and it'll be interesting to see if these are stripped out to get down to a price - they clearly cannot be replaced with a mobile phone App.
Speaking personally, I'd be happy without them but accept that I'm different to the majority.
I don't mind safety systems (and to be honest I've found TPMS actually quite useful) - but I do mind all the junk they put inside.

Nobody needs 23 inches of touchscreens, web browsers, five zone climate control, televisions, or whatever to drive to the shops! How much of that stuff actually gets used?

Auto windscreen wipers, auto lights, cruise control (actually I don't even use that anymore), lane keep assist and good climate control. And ideally remote starting of the climate control. Then a few optional extras and job done :)

Ah, actually....a reversing camera has become something of a must. But then maybe they'll buck the trend and make a car you can actually see out of when going backwards!

Can't imagine it'll make much different to me for a few years anyway, cause there's no way I'm buying a car before I've driven it and manufacturers seem to only want to sell EVs off waiting lists without even seeing the car nowadays :(

·
Registered
297 Posts
TPMS - legal requirement ported from European laws into ours. Sadly a significant number of accidents were caused by low tyre pressures before this became a thing:

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fl...yre-pressures-put-millions-of-drivers-at-risk

People have become reliant on the annual service or "Nanny" systems to do it for them and I don't think that we'll ever be allowed to go back to not having it.
"Underinflated, defective or illegal tyres".
But I take your point.
Personally I prefer to check my tyre pressure weekly.
My car has cruise, never use it.
Auto everything.
Rear camera, I look over my shoulder (although I will say the cross traffic alert is good in car parks).
Collision avoidance thingy, I keep a good safe distance.
As above this stuff is just replacing what you used to do yourself- do they really, really save lives?
Only have the thing because my other half loves the gadgets, personally I want cheap and cheerful.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I don't mind safety systems (and to be honest I've found TPMS actually quite useful) - but I do mind all the junk they put inside.

Nobody needs 23 inches of touchscreens, web browsers, five zone climate control, televisions, or whatever to drive to the shops! How much of that stuff actually gets used?

Auto windscreen wipers, auto lights, cruise control (actually I don't even use that anymore), lane keep assist and good climate control. And ideally remote starting of the climate control. Then a few optional extras and job done :)

Ah, actually....a reversing camera has become something of a must. But then maybe they'll buck the trend and make a car you can actually see out of when going backwards!

Can't imagine it'll make much different to me for a few years anyway, cause there's no way I'm buying a car before I've driven it and manufacturers seem to only want to sell EVs off waiting lists without even seeing the car nowadays :(
Many people say something similar. The problem is, dig down and you find everyone's list of 'essentials' is a little different. Design by committee ends up including them all, and the result is a bloated product.

A genius design seems a little eccentric at first. It values simplicity, and makes you give up some things you thought you needed, but the end result makes sense as a whole, and you smile every time you use it. The new Panda EV could be such a thing, perhaps. We will have to wait and see.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts