Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will probably be looking for a Leaf to supplement my Macan GTS and weekend sports car toy. Looking for something to do the 2-3 mile run to the shops, golf club and doggy walking so I can keep the Macan for longer runs and keep the dog and golf clubs out, therefore more pristine.

I do have a lot of questions so bear with me, but initially.

What does it really cost to charge a 24KwH Leaf?
How do I use the Leaf Spy dongle once I have bought it?
I have seen some screen shots on here of the SoH from the Leaf Spy, but can really fathom what they are showing, can someone give me an idiot's guide to what they really show.

I am hoping to get a nice 2015 reasonable mileage Tekna for around £6-7,000 is that realistic?

I have just seen a 2016 car with 30,000 miles on at a trader nearby, but it looked like a very uncared for car, that had sat at the dealer for a long time due to the spiders webs and amount of tree debris. Also bonnet looked very dull and almost a different paint finish but no repair marks. Apparently an IOW car so maybe sun damage, do the bonnets suffer paint degradation?

Sat Nav screen was also very unresponsive when trying to input the right hand side of the screen, is that normal?

Thanks for any assistance and advice forum members can give to an EV novice.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Exact cost depends on your domestic electricity tariff.

A typical standard tariff might cost 15p per kWh. An off-peak tariff might be half of that. Something like octopus go has a 5p window in the early hours of the morning.

A leaf will do 3-4 miles per kWh depending on speed and outdoor temperature.

so if you drive 10 miles and want to recharge it might cost between say 12 and 45p depending on those various factors

·
Registered
BMW i3
430 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum, think I saw your post on PH.

As above - charging cost depends on tariff, average UK tariff is now probably around 17p/kWh but you could use economy7 or a tariff such as Octopus Go if you have a smart meter (5p/kWh for 4 hours a night).

A Leaf 24 starts off with about 22kWh of usable battery and they degrade at about 3% a year in the UK. So a 2015 would have circa 18kWh usable left, multiply that by the rate above and that’s the cost to fill it if it was completely empty, so 90p on GO and £3 on an average UK tariff. In practise most people try and keep it between say 20% and 80% to attempt to minimise degradation.

Ref the dongle - you plug that into the cars OBD port by your knee and use the LeafSpy app to interrogate the car (Lite version of the app was free on Android but had to pay on iOS). Main thing is SOH (state of health) which tells you what % of the battery remains, as mentioned for a 2015 Leaf I’d expect that to be about 82%, which is 11 bars on the dash (might still be clinging onto 12).

You’re also looking for “weak cells” - but I don’t believe these will show up unless you use the app when the battery is on a low state of charge (SoC).

We’ve had 3 x Leaf 24’s, I found the touchscreen a bit unresponsive on one of them, when putting in a postcode for example you had to press the screen a bit to the right of the letter, not sure why but wasn’t a big deal to me.

Bonnets shouldn’t fade from what I’ve seen, not heard it mentioned - they certainly don’t get hot from an engine!

Overall they’re great workhorses - well built, reliable, practical, comfortable and dirt cheap to run.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great info, many thanks.
@DanP, yes I started to discuss this on PH, and was directed to this forum.
Actually quite surprised at how positive I feel about moving to an EV for all the local stuff as I hate getting the Macan out just to drive 2 miles.
Discussing this with HWMBO tonight and had a very positive response. May even push us to go for a more expensive option such as an i3, but in reality that probably goes against the idea of a cheap EV hack🤔

·
Registered
BMW i3
430 Posts
Leaf would be a very sensible first EV, i3 less so IMHO!

But if you can do the man maths, the dog would fit and you don’t mind it being less practical/ comfortable (and potentially less reliable) they really are a fantastic bit of design and engineering - just don’t buy a flaky early one.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I recently picked up a 64 plate Leaf for £5k [and a bit] so still a newbie and can't really offer much. They do seem to be solid rattle-free cars that scrub up well which is great as it's used a family hack for cheap motoring. Being on Octopus Go Faster I spend ~60p a day charging it for my use. Range, anywhere between 50 to 80 odd miles on a full charge depending on the usual stuff. The touch screen is as you describe but you get used to it and works fine. The boot is an odd shape but can easily swallow our large suitcases whereas you have to shoehorn them into the Golf. Cheers

·
Registered
98 Posts
Purchased a 2015 leaf tekna spec with 34,000 miles on the clock for £6500 approx 5 months ago.

replaced our Santa Fe as the main family car, no real complaints so far. Two car seats in the rear and a dog in the middle! The range is no problem for 90% of our journeys, the odd longer day trip we have to stop to rapid charge. But today will be fun, leaving swansea heading to london

car has covered 6500 miles without fault.

I charge the car with octopus energy on their ev friendly octopus go tariff. 5p per kWh between midnight and 4.30am

I can cover 1000 miles for approx £11-12 in electric from looking at the Nissan ev app.

there is a menu to recalibrate the touch screen which is documented on the forum

I have paint fade/matt look on the bonnet of my white leaf and a lot of the white leaf’s I see for sale also look to have a similar issue.
Enjoy the car and our first entry into ev ownership.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leaf would be a very sensible first EV, i3 less so IMHO!

But if you can do the man maths, the dog would fit and you don’t mind it being less practical/ comfortable (and potentially less reliable) they really are a fantastic bit of design and engineering - just don’t buy a flaky early one.
Interesting, I thought the i3 was pretty reliable. I wouldn't go for a range extender, which takes out the issues that that has and should also lower the entry cost.
There is what seems to be a lovely 64 plate i3 one owner with full BMW service history and 33k for just short of 12k on AT at Carite.
Maybe need to do some more reading up on the i3.
Kia Soul would also be a good option but the wife hates the shape.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Scrooge and @curl66.
Great prices those, did you buy through the forum or Facebook group or A/T.
Given how long these sit around I guess there must be some strong price negotiations to be had even with a trader?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
@Scrooge and @curl66.
Great prices those, did you buy through the forum or Facebook group or A/T.
Given how long these sit around I guess there must be some strong price negotiations to be had even with a trader?
Bought on this site, cheers

·
Registered
BMW i3
430 Posts
Interesting, I thought the i3 was pretty reliable. I wouldn't go for a range extender, which takes out the issues that that has and should also lower the entry cost.
There is what seems to be a lovely 64 plate i3 one owner with full BMW service history and 33k for just short of 12k on AT at Carite.
Maybe need to do some more reading up on the i3.
Kia Soul would also be a good option but the wife hates the shape.
Agree that I’d avoid the Rex, but not much different on price when I was looking at them (non Rex is much rarer!).

From reading on here/FB they were more solid from 2015 on, our late 2016 has been great thus far.

Leaf/ Soul/ i3 are all a bit marmite in the looks department!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Purchased the leaf privately from eBay.

my uncle purchased a 2015 bmw i3 with range extender from a main dealer approved used. Paid around £15k.

had around 8-9k in warranty repairs within the first 3 months of ownership. Multimedia system went within the first week and part of the battery management system shortly followed

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Purchased the leaf privately from eBay.

my uncle purchased a 2015 bmw i3 with range extender from a main dealer approved used. Paid around £15k.

had around 8-9k in warranty repairs within the first 3 months of ownership. Multimedia system went within the first week and part of the battery management system shortly followed
Yikes!
The more I read on older i3s think I will stay with the Leaf/Soul/Zoe search.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Next newbie question.

Can a 24kwh Leaf just be charged from my home 3 pin socket overnight, we are only likely to do 50 miles in a week normally, without having to upgrade the wiring/sockets? It's okay to leave it for 8-10 hours as we have a driveway.
Obviously only paying 6 or 7k for a car, I initially don't want to have to install a charging post until I am sure that EV is the way forward for us.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Next newbie question.

Can a 24kwh Leaf just be charged from my home 3 pin socket overnight, we are only likely to do 50 miles in a week normally, without having to upgrade the wiring/sockets? It's okay to leave it for 8-10 hours as we have a driveway.
Obviously only paying 6 or 7k for a car, I initially don't want to have to install a charging post until I am sure that EV is the way forward for us.
Here is one of the many threads to read through. I've only tried a granny on a leaf once for a few hours so I really don't know the answer.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,345 Posts
Next newbie question.

Yes, this would be absolutely fine. Only consideration is making sure the socket you plug it into is decent quality/condition.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,177 Posts
Yes, this would be absolutely fine. Only consideration is making sure the socket you plug it into is decent quality/condition.
This means feeling the plug for heating up after the first 30mins and hourly thereafter for a few hours.
One of my porch sockets doesn't get warm, but the other did.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for this excellent advice.
Test drove a 2015 Tekna today, fits our purpose perfectly, although that particular car was not for me. Garage also had a Zoe in stock, felt a bit more modern inside, but just a bit too small for all our golf clubs and trolleys.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do think I will wait for the right 30kwh car to come along, the decision now really is...is the Tekna really worth the premium one has to pay over the Acenta?
What is the difference in trim? Leather, surround cameras, heated steering wheel and rear seat. Anything else?
The Tekna leather I have seen doesn't seem to wear well and for a run around, maybe fabric trim could be better, cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

·
Registered
2017 30kWh LEAF Black Edition
34 Posts
I do think I will wait for the right 30kwh car to come along, the decision now really is...is the Tekna really worth the premium one has to pay over the Acenta?
What is the difference in trim? Leather, surround cameras, heated steering wheel and rear seat. Anything else?
The Tekna leather I have seen doesn't seem to wear well and for a run around, maybe fabric trim could be better, cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
The black edition is Acenta trim plus surround cameras and black alloys. Price-wise it sits between Acenta and Tekna I think.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts