Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Last service the dealership spotted a oil leak coming out of the bottom of the gear box bell housing.

Went in for investigation Monday this week and they just called to tell me that the input shaft seal on the gearbox was faulty.

Interestingly they claimed it was not replaceable and a new box had been warranty authorised from VW.

New box is coming from Germany and should be here next week, so I should have it back by next Friday hopefully.

Weird, never heard of a input shaft seal not being replaceable, I expect when they split the box they found lots of metal shavings on the magnets.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,339 Posts
I hope it is under warranty. Gives me pause for thought as I consider whether to buy mine at the end of the three year PCP in June!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,645 Posts
Weird, never heard of a input shaft seal not being replaceable, I expect when they split the box they found lots of metal shavings on the magnets.
Probably just policy as it's quicker and more reliable to replace the whole thing. Also the factory probably want to find the root cause of the failure.

Tesla do this as well.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
There are many spalist automatic gearbox companies that can rebuild boxes with this type of issues on older cars.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I can't recall having a car that didn't have a slightly leaky gearbox in one way or another (usually around seals), must have been a catastrophic leak to consider it replacement worthy. But then again I've always ran crappier cars before I owned the GTE.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts