Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I took delivery of my new mk8 GTE recently and thought I'd share a couple of pictures for you. I had a mk7.5 GTE as a demo when I worked for VW previously, and in my opinion the new one is a definite step forward. I hated both the standard wheels and the upgraded ones, so I painted the standard ones instead to make it look a bit different.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Hi everybody,

I took delivery of my new mk8 GTE recently and thought I'd share a couple of pictures for you. I had a mk7.5 GTE as a demo when I worked for VW previously, and in my opinion the new one is a definite step forward. I hated both the standard wheels and the upgraded ones, so I painted the standard ones instead to make it look a bit different. View attachment 139032 View attachment 139033
Very nice !.
What happened to the blue coloured brake callipers ?.
At first glance, it could viewed as a GTI.
Winter pack option - I can not see the head light washers in the front bumper.
The black wheels are a good contrast for the white body colour.
A set of rear mud flaps will give the car a lower stance when looking from the rear of the car and stop mud and road tar spots from getting on that nice white paint work.
Enjoy !.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The new GTE has red calipers, not blue. I don't know about the headlight washers, it comes with the IQ lights as standard, so I'm not sure on that one.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Stunning car!

Is this the Pure White or the special Oryx White mother-of-pearl?

Can't tell for certain, but is that a welcome message you've got on the dashboard? Is that user-programmable or dealer level coding? I've got a Mk 7.5 Golf but haven't seen that before!

And finally... Is it a temporary or permanent spray you did on the alloys? What paint was used? Quite like the contrast between with the white and the black! Have to agree not the biggest fan of the standard or optional alloys on the GTE.

I've got a discussion running on the electric-only range of these Mk 8's - would be interested to hear typical range from your experience with the car if you get a chance! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
The new GTE has red calipers, not blue. I don't know about the headlight washers, it comes with the IQ lights as standard, so I'm not sure on that one.
I only asked the question regarding the head light washers, because on the earlier versions of the GTE if it had the cut outs in the front bumper for the head light washers, then you knew the car had the "Winter Pack" option fitted.
Head light washers and heated front seats basically.
The red brake callipers look nice to be fair, but strange that they switched away from the highlighted blue EV accents colours in the rest of the car ?.
Front grill and interior trim ( seats etc ) are still displaying the blue accent colours.
I would not concern or bother me at all, but a strange turn of events.
If the GTE now shares the same callipers as the earlier GTI units, then that could be the answer to help use up the stock levels.
A bit more cost cutting from VW at work here.
Where did the long time hydraulic bonnets struts and front under seat storage boxes disappeared too on the newer models ?.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stunning car!

Is this the Pure White or the special Oryx White mother-of-pearl?

Can't tell for certain, but is that a welcome message you've got on the dashboard? Is that user-programmable or dealer level coding? I've got a Mk 7.5 Golf but haven't seen that before!

And finally... Is it a temporary or permanent spray you did on the alloys? What paint was used? Quite like the contrast between with the white and the black! Have to agree not the biggest fan of the standard or optional alloys on the GTE.

I've got a discussion running on the electric-only range of these Mk 8's - would be interested to hear typical range from your experience with the car if you get a chance! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks GTE-Ash. I'm really enjoying it so far.

It is pure white rather than Oryx white. I was not convinced on the additional cost of the Oryx white.

The welcome page comes up as per what you register on the app I believe. I certainly didn't choose that on the screen.

I don't know what paint was used as it was done by an alloy refurbisher. It's definitely permanent though, unless I scuff them of course!

It's hard to tell on the electric range right now. I got the car just before Christmas and haven't really been out anywhere since. It's mainly been on electric when I have though, and the gom has been showing circa 34 miles, but it has been really cold. I had a play in proper hybrid, with full assistance, so the equivalent of GTE mode, and it felt just as quick as my Octavia vrs 245 that I had before this.

I've included a picture of the car before I had the wheels painted, and I think the difference is huge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks more sporty with the black rims !.
I agree. Looks much better to my eyes. I'm also personally loving the interior and the haptic buttons on the steering wheel. Lots of people have criticised them, but I really like how they work. The acc is fantastic how it changes the speed based on the road signs and slows down for roundabouts etc.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Thanks GTE-Ash. I'm really enjoying it so far.

It is pure white rather than Oryx white. I was not convinced on the additional cost of the Oryx white.

The welcome page comes up as per what you register on the app I believe. I certainly didn't choose that on the screen.

I don't know what paint was used as it was done by an alloy refurbisher. It's definitely permanent though, unless I scuff them of course!

It's hard to tell on the electric range right now. I got the car just before Christmas and haven't really been out anywhere since. It's mainly been on electric when I have though, and the gom has been showing circa 34 miles, but it has been really cold. I had a play in proper hybrid, with full assistance, so the equivalent of GTE mode, and it felt just as quick as my Octavia vrs 245 that I had before this.

I've included a picture of the car before I had the wheels painted, and I think the difference is huge.
It does look good in white! I've gone for the Oryx White as its a company car, but I haven't actually seen it in person! Will be interesting to see if it is worth the additional cost, I haven't seen any notable difference in pictures online...

That sounds promising with the electric range, especially with these cold temperatures! I currently drive a Mk 7.5 with the 1.0l turbo which is pretty frugal (easy 50mpg every day, and 55mpg indicated on longer journeys when I'm careful) so looking forward to seeing the economy with frequent charging at home and work. Similarly, also pretty excited about the GTE/Sport mode 245ps, after running round with 110ps for the last few years...

it comes with the IQ lights as standard,
Have you done much night driving yet? I've seen a couple of POV videos of night driving with the IQ lights and its impressive to say the least! I miss having xenon or LED headlights, but these seem a massive step up with how they adapt! Could you confirm if you have heated steering wheel as standard? The website mentions it, but then its also included as part of the winter pack.

What are your thoughts on the grille LED strip? I've seen a couple cars with them on at night, but they don't seem to look as striking as you'd think (it's only when i've passed the cars that I realise its the new Golf, both times initially mistaking them for someones DIY job on the approach to them 😅)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That sounds promising with the electric range, especially with these cold temperatures! I currently drive a Mk 7.5 with the 1.0l turbo which is pretty frugal (easy 50mpg every day, and 55mpg indicated on longer journeys when I'm careful) so looking forward to seeing the economy with frequent charging at home and work. Similarly, also pretty excited about the GTE/Sport mode 245ps, after running round with 110ps for the last few years...
Well, I did my first long journey tonight to take my son home, and it is about 30 miles each way. When I left I had 11 miles electric. It ran out, even in hybrid mode when I turned around to come home. So the last half of the journey, I had 0 miles range. When I got home the car had averaged 46 mpg. Considering for half the time it was lugging around the batteries un-aided, I didn't think that was too bad. I'm still trying to figure out the best mode for doing the longer journeys in as well. It's not as obvious as in the 7.5.

Have you done much night driving yet? I've seen a couple of POV videos of night driving with the IQ lights and its impressive to say the least! I miss having xenon or LED headlights, but these seem a massive step up with how they adapt! Could you confirm if you have heated steering wheel as standard? The website mentions it, but then its also included as part of the winter pack.

What are your thoughts on the grille LED strip? I've seen a couple cars with them on at night, but they don't seem to look as striking as you'd think (it's only when i've passed the cars that I realise its the new Golf, both times initially mistaking them for someones DIY job on the approach to them 😅)
The IQ lights work fantastically. Really really nice and bright. I've had numerous cars in the past with both standard high beam assist, and a version of what the IQ lights do, and these are exceptional. I didn't get flashed once, when on other systems I would as they didn't react quite quickly enough.

Yes I do have a heated steering wheel. What I can't figure out, which I thought was standard is having the nav maps in the active info display. Perhaps you do need the upgraded navigation for that though.

I quite like the light strip as it's something a bit different. You can always turn it off if you don't like it though.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,648 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out the best mode for doing the longer journeys in as well. It's not as obvious as in the 7.5.
I'd recommend eMode until you first hit a 2-3mile stretch with no junctions/traffic lights - then hybrid to warm up the ICE without the embarrassment of coming to a halt with an engine that won't cut out.
Then leave it there to make it's own mind up, and then when you are nearly at journey end back in to eMode to use the electrons only and end up finished with 1 to 0 left on the GOM.
That got me upper 50s mpg in my Mk7 on 100+mile trips.

The killer mpg zone of a GTE is the period when the HV is just gone empty and you're still driving - that period when it's trying to recharge 3 miles in to the HV battery <and> propel the car.
( I am presuming the Mk8 does this too )

Add on a cold engine in a stopstart town centre, nightmare ( #First World Problems )

To really down yourself, find yourself on a motorway or long stretch dual-c, say 70mph, and put the trip computer on instant mpg view, and then run it to zero on the GOM with a cold ICE ( or lob it in to battery charge mode ) .

Reactions: MATeasdale

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
It is a lot easier when you have a known trip in your head.
This way, you can use or preserve your EV mileage for better use on slower roads or especially town work.
Electric propulsion is made for stop start town driving !.
Absolutely hate listening to that engine jump into life every time you want to move forward a few yards and then turn off the engine.
Rinse and repeat all of the time !.
Anything above 45mph and you want to hold into your limited electric range, to be used later in the trip when town use is likely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts