Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New owner here, picked the car up this week from dealer. Last of the 7.5s.
Enjoying the car so far but seem to be only getting a max range of 22 miles as it's on the drive showing 100% charged. I know by searching this forum range can vary a bit but it seems a good chunk off what everyone else seems to be getting. Should I expect this to increase with more charge cycles? This is with everything off, no scheduled charging, Aircon off etc

·
Registered
252 Posts
Probably fine, may increase a bit with time as it learns. Had mine 3 years and most I ever got at brand new was 27 miles on the display in summer with everything off but that was rare. After a while you'll stop caring!

·
Premium Member
4,269 Posts
How many actual EV miles does it manage?

GOM is vanity, actual miles achieved is sanity!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I couldn't guess what I'm actually getting as I keep flitting about between GTE and E mode :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine managed 30miles from new (2017 model) but shortly after became 29miles from a full charge. Now nearly 3 years on get around 27/28.

There is a setting within the car menu that will show potential range savings just to make sure everything is turned off etc...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've found that screen and it's showing no extra available. I'll see what I get after a full charge tonight but I'm expecting it to show 22 again.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,810 Posts
I've found that screen and it's showing no extra available. I'll see what I get after a full charge tonight but I'm expecting it to show 22 again.
I would generally recommend a slow charge. Get in the settings and drop the charging current to 5 or 8. It will take longer, but it does give a chance to the battery to balance/re-calibrate itself.

You don't have to do it very often, but it helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ill try that tonight thanks. I just topped it up at lunch and it's back to 22 at 100%

·
Registered
19 Posts
What happens if you try to charge again once you hit 22 miles? Presume you get the message “vehicle is at required state of charge”?

Just to make sure it’s actually completing the charge I’m thinking..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What happens if you try to charge again once you hit 22 miles? Presume you get the message “vehicle is at required state of charge”?

Just to make sure it’s actually completing the charge I’m thinking..
Yep exactly that.

Interestingly if I google search for the GTE range I get this : which is pretty much exactly the stats I get for my mileage when full on juice and petrol. Maybe it's accurate? Just odd its marketed at dealers as having 31 miles

·
Registered
252 Posts
There was a software update at some point in the 7.5 history which made the GOM more realistic. It was never ever 31 miles in real life (unless your route was downhill only with a tailwind)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah ok. Ive been playing with it, I tried a low power charge, no different, same 22 miles. Drove it today and interestingly if I toggle Max AC, the range doesn’t change. So whether the latest software just predicts you’ve got that on regardless and doesn’t bother jumping the range like the earlier year I test drove did. The only puzzling thing was when I picked it up it did have 27 miles on the GOM and that was from a pod point at the dealer where as I’m using the 3 pin at the minute.
More importantly it’s got some serious mid range speed! I’d say it feels quicker than my i30n I had before.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I had one of the early ( x demo ) 2015 models, when I charged it from the “Granny” charger for the first seven months, almost every single night.
For the first 12 months, I would see a predicted range on the GOM after an overnight charge of between 30 and 31 miles.
This was with everything turned off of course.
After 12 months ( almost to the week ) the GOM started reporting 29 to 30 miles of predicted range.
In that same period I had a wall box installed, this had no effect on the reported range.
The following year, the reported range after a charge was between 28 - 29 miles.
This continued to fluctuate over the 4 years of ownership.
In year and four, the reported range would be around the 27 mile mark ?.
In the winter it would be as low as 25 before turning things on !.
It use to concern me firstly at times, then after a while you just learn to accept what you have and drive it !.
I had the dealer do a SOH check on the HV battery at about 2 years old and it returned an excellent state of heath.
The car was recalled to have the HV battery checked by VW when it was almost four years old, same result the battery was fine.
You will come to learn that it is not that important what the GOM predicts, that’s why it is called a GOM !.
It will learn your driving style and make adjustments along the way.
In the winter time the range will be consumed at an alarming rate of speed !.
In the summer, it will just “Sip” at the juice slowly.
Enjoy the car for what it is !.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just try driving it like a granny for a couple of cycles, see if that makes a difference. Various theories says it does.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Took delivery of one of the last 7.5 GTE Advance last week and my available electric range when fully charged is also 22 miles. This drops very quickly within a mile of starting driving to 18/19 miles. Although I’ve only had the car a week the range around town does seem to be around 18-20 miles, which, TBH is disappointing. VW’s new dieselgate? I love the car and could list lots of positives about the way it drives etc but the electric range is pathetic. How can VW claim up to 31 miles when before I even get in it the range says 22!!?

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Took delivery of one of the last 7.5 GTE Advance last week and my available electric range when fully charged is also 22 miles. This drops very quickly within a mile of starting driving to 18/19 miles. Although I’ve only had the car a week the range around town does seem to be around 18-20 miles, which, TBH is disappointing. VW’s new dieselgate? I love the car and could list lots of positives about the way it drives etc but the electric range is pathetic. How can VW claim up to 31 miles when before I even get in it the range says 22!!?
First of all the car needs to learn your driving style.
It has very little historical data to pull from right now.
Also, given the time of the year and lower ambient temperatures, you are not going to achieve anything close to the mileage you may have expected.
The lower predicted mileage on the GOM after a full charge is also reflective of the above.
Load from using the heater etc will murder the range.
When the warmer weather returns, so the figures will climb.

·
Premium Member
4,269 Posts
It’s a hybrid, its electric only range is meant to be ‘pathetic’.

The battery is a ‘fuel multiplier’, and you should try to think of it as a performance hybrid that maximises its fuel efficiency versus a similar performing ICE car. It’s a 1.4 litre golf with an electric only party trick.

I ran a GTE for four years and 90k+ miles, I once achieved 26 miles EV only range in the summer, driving like a saint and with the HVAC switched off. On average I used to get 18-22 miles depending on weather conditions.

It‘s not another dieselgate, 31 miles was achieved in official testing where at the time they were allowed to over inflate tyres, remove wing mirrors, tape up panel gaps etc etc. That was pre WLTP, which fortunately made things a little more realistic. The old test regime was one of the reasons no car ever met its mpg figures in the real world.

It’s a good car, but there are a lot of posts on here criticising it for being a low range electric car, which isn’t something it was designed to be.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
And how many of the publics journeys are more than 18-20 miles before they leave the car for a few hours? Adding more battery capacity to increase this range add considerably to the cost (about £500/kWh so another £5k on your GTE to double the range), difficulty of packaging (an even smaller fuel tank or boot by around 50 litres?), and the weight of the vehicle (another 150kg on an already porky car - consider the reduction in performance you get with two extra people in the back). Due to the stupidity of the testing regimes the manufacturers have got away with a PHEV sweet spot of around 20 miles and they will end up as a footnote in history being replaced by REx or eliminated altogether.

·
Registered
197 Posts
How can VW claim up to 31 miles when before I even get in it the range says 22!!?
In the same way that car manufacturers have got away with bloated MPG figures for decades. This isn't a VW problem, it's an industry wide problem - any consumption figures quoted by any manufacturer is essentially from spherical cow in a vacuum testing. This is what test drives are useful for - watch the consumption figures as you drive around and use them to draw your own conclusions.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts