Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening fellow GTE owners,

Newby post here so apologies if I’m going over old ground, but I recently purchased a 16 plate GTE that has 8.5k miles on it. My round trip is 70 miles to and from work and so far I’m loving the car, albeit a couple of things I’m hoping people can advise on...

1. Electric mileage expectations - I am finding that the car will only charge to a total of 28 miles range each time, but in reality it lucky to get 15-16 miles on that (really lucky). I am pretty gentle on the throttle and have consciously been driving conservatively to see if the issue lies with me. Don’t get me wrong, I’m saving a whack compared to my previous car but just want to check if this is in line with everyone else’s experiences?

2. Living in Glasgow, Scotland, the cold weather in winter will mean use of the heater now and again which further depletes the battery. Is there a way of getting the car to a set temperature whilst still plugged in? Effectively I’m wondering if I can defrost it without hammering the heating and battery.

3. Charging point...is it worth it, and in your experience, what’s a reasonable expectation in terms of cost? I’ve had loads of quotes from companies, but have no idea what is a reasonable amount to pay vs. the ridiculously cheap/expensive. I will go for the grant through Energy Saving Scotland but a few quotes are well above what they provide.

Please accept my apologies if this seems silly questions!!

Thanks

David
Extremely tight Scotsman

·
Registered
152 Posts
1. What's your style of driving and the route (town, ,motorway, speed, hills etc?)

2. Yes you can schedule departure times and pre heat (or use Car net)

3. £150-200, I just put an outside socket

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. What's your style of driving and the route (town, ,motorway, speed, hills etc?)

2. Yes you can schedule departure times and pre heat (or use Car net)

3. £150-200, I just put an outside socket
Thanks for replying!

1. The journey is about 10 miles of suburban routes (all fairly flat) and the rest of the journey is motorway with a good 10 mile section of it limited to 50mph. I spend most of my journey driving around 5mph below the limit.

2. Great. I’ve been looking in the manual since last night and see that the pre-heat is easy enough.

3. I had thought about that but wasn’t sure about the granny socket being used all the time. Good to know it’s not a major issue!

Thanks

David

·
Registered
284 Posts
1. Yes your mileage on Ev is pretty typical for the roads you drive on, and will decrease the colder it gets.
2. Here is my preheating guide which should get you sorted. Preheating
3. In my opinion a teathered Charging point is well worth the cost as it’s so much more convenient to use

·
Registered
911 Posts
1. I get around 19-20 miles in the current winter weather when I preheat the car. I can't quite get back from work after driving there; but charging at work sorts that. If I don't preheat the car this drops by about 2 miles.

2. Yes, as above. Pre-heating can be set up from the infotainment unit and can draw power from the mains as required.

3. I would get a tethered type 2 socket installed for £150-200 while the OLEV grant lasts. A few reasons for this. The granny chargers aren't superbly reliable. They can overheat sockets if the wiring is poor. They charge much slower (4hrs vs 2hrs15min) than a 16A charging point, which means if you need to pop out to, say, the shops after getting back with a flat battery, you won't be able to do so.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
1. I agree with the comments posted.

2. Pre - heat to save mileage on the GOM for travelling. If you have heated seats, use them to conserve energy.

3. Go for a dedicated wall box a 32Amp if not to expensive ( I only paid an extra £10 ) it will offer some future proofing !. Retire the “Granny” unit for use when you are travelling to a destination where they only have 13 Amp three pin sockets available.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Good evening fellow GTE owners,

Newby post here so apologies if I’m going over old ground, but I recently purchased a 16 plate GTE that has 8.5k miles on it. My round trip is 70 miles to and from work and so far I’m loving the car, albeit a couple of things I’m hoping people can advise on...

1. Electric mileage expectations - I am finding that the car will only charge to a total of 28 miles range each time, but in reality it lucky to get 15-16 miles on that (really lucky). I am pretty gentle on the throttle and have consciously been driving conservatively to see if the issue lies with me. Don’t get me wrong, I’m saving a whack compared to my previous car but just want to check if this is in line with everyone else’s experiences?

2. Living in Glasgow, Scotland, the cold weather in winter will mean use of the heater now and again which further depletes the battery. Is there a way of getting the car to a set temperature whilst still plugged in? Effectively I’m wondering if I can defrost it without hammering the heating and battery.

3. Charging point...is it worth it, and in your experience, what’s a reasonable expectation in terms of cost? I’ve had loads of quotes from companies, but have no idea what is a reasonable amount to pay vs. the ridiculously cheap/expensive. I will go for the grant through Energy Saving Scotland but a few quotes are well above what they provide.

Please accept my apologies if this seems silly questions!!

Thanks

David
Extremely tight Scotsman
I think you’re mileage results are about right, so nothing to worry about there.

You will get a bit better mileage by pre-heating and using the electric seat, as already mentioned.

I have a similar distance commute to you at the moment, albeit all on A and B roads, and I stick it in Hybrid Auto after I’ve left my village, drive sensibly and let the car do the managing, running any remaining battery down to zero on my return home.

I find that gets me the best mileage, using the electricity as a ‘fuel multiplier’. This morning, 38 miles to work, engine was running for only 12 of them, I’ve got 7 miles left in the battery to help my journey home.

Tomorrow, I’ve got my weekly 310 mile round trip, which is why I got the GTE in the first place, but I’ll do similar except charge at my destination whilst the car is parked up. On the run down I expect to see something like 45-50 miles when the engine hasn’t been running.

Ever since I moved house, I’ve not bothered to get another dedicated charge point fitted (fitted when I had a ‘proper’ EV) and just use the 3 pin charger permanently plugged into a lockable outdoor socket.

My ‘granny’ is an original version, over 3.5 years old and still going strong.

·
GTE Advance,Isaac Blue Steel,Keyless entry
249 Posts
I'm with Tooks (above) on this apart from longer distance driving which happens about once a week.

From my house to the dual carriageway/motorway is about 5 miles done in E-Mode until I get to it. Then I stick it in GTE mode with about 20 miles left on the GOM, which will maintain that mileage on the GOM until the end of the dual carriageway/motorway when I revert to E-Mode for the remaining 4 miles.

The return journey is E-Mode until I get back to the dual carriageway then GTE mode until I'm about 5 miles from home and it's back into E-Mode to coast home with 0-1 miles left on the GOM.

I also use the 'granny' permanently connected in the garage with the plug hanging down from the roof at the point where the front of the car comes to rest. In my opinion anything spent on a charge point is money that could have been better spent on electricity.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'd say definitely get a wall charger, 32amp if you can, it makes life a whole lot easier and, as others have said, might be the difference between going out again on electric and having to use the ICE. I went untethered for my charger and bought a second type 2 charging lead which is permanently plugged in and bolted to the wall. My reasoning was that I could then more easily change it if I got a car with a different charging socket (unlikely nowadays).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1. Yes your mileage on Ev is pretty typical for the roads you drive on, and will decrease the colder it gets.
2. Here is my preheating guide which should get you sorted. Preheating
3. In my opinion a teathered Charging point is well worth the cost as it’s so much more convenient to use
Thanks for that Rich - much appreciated. The Preheating guide was fantastic. The only one small question I have with regards to it was at the very bottom of the guide where you note you make use of 'Economy 7'. Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by this?

Thanks again for sharing the guide :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the response! In terms of when you say you use the electricity as a 'fuel multiplier, can I ask you to give a bit more of an explanation at all? I am assuming you mean that by running in hybrid mode you are using the battery supply just to boost the fuel consumption, but just want to be sure!

Thanks

David

I think you’re mileage results are about right, so nothing to worry about there.

You will get a bit better mileage by pre-heating and using the electric seat, as already mentioned.

I have a similar distance commute to you at the moment, albeit all on A and B roads, and I stick it in Hybrid Auto after I’ve left my village, drive sensibly and let the car do the managing, running any remaining battery down to zero on my return home.

I find that gets me the best mileage, using the electricity as a ‘fuel multiplier’. This morning, 38 miles to work, engine was running for only 12 of them, I’ve got 7 miles left in the battery to help my journey home.

Tomorrow, I’ve got my weekly 310 mile round trip, which is why I got the GTE in the first place, but I’ll do similar except charge at my destination whilst the car is parked up. On the run down I expect to see something like 45-50 miles when the engine hasn’t been running.

Ever since I moved house, I’ve not bothered to get another dedicated charge point fitted (fitted when I had a ‘proper’ EV) and just use the 3 pin charger permanently plugged into a lockable outdoor socket.

My ‘granny’ is an original version, over 3.5 years old and still going strong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for replying!

I had not thought about using GTE mode, but only because I had assumed it would gobble fuel at an alarming rate. As I said elsehwere, please excuse my ignorance with much of this as I am very new to hybrid cars!
Would you recommend using the GTE when on the motorway as opposed to hybrid mode? I am currently similar to yourself in that anything other than motorway or duel carriageway is completed in e-mode before I then transfer over to hybrid.

Driving in GTE mode also makes me feel like I am 23 again :)

Thanks

David

I'm with Tooks (above) on this apart from longer distance driving which happens about once a week.

From my house to the dual carriageway/motorway is about 5 miles done in E-Mode until I get to it. Then I stick it in GTE mode with about 20 miles left on the GOM, which will maintain that mileage on the GOM until the end of the dual carriageway/motorway when I revert to E-Mode for the remaining 4 miles.

The return journey is E-Mode until I get back to the dual carriageway then GTE mode until I'm about 5 miles from home and it's back into E-Mode to coast home with 0-1 miles left on the GOM.

I also use the 'granny' permanently connected in the garage with the plug hanging down from the roof at the point where the front of the car comes to rest. In my opinion anything spent on a charge point is money that could have been better spent on electricity.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,567 Posts
Economy 7 = A different electric meter = Cheap electric for 7 hours overnight = Use the off peak to charge at some time during those 7 hours.

GTE Mode. I use it for a while if I know I'll be overtaking, or am driving for fun..If you're just cruising at the speed limit, I'd leave it in hybrid.

For a long journey I start with a full battery > Switch to hybrid with around 16 miles left on the battery > Switch to e-mode with the aim of arriving with close to 0 miles remaining..recharge, rinse and repeat for the way home.

·
Registered
704 Posts
For a long journey I start with a full battery > Switch to hybrid with around 16 miles left on the battery > Switch to e-mode with the aim of arriving with close to 0 miles remaining..recharge, rinse and repeat for the way home.
That's pretty much how I do it as well, except that I tend to switch to battery hold mode when I'm in slow traffic (even if that is at the start of a journey) to give the engine time to warm up at low revs before hammering it on the motorway.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Personally I prefer GTE when driving long distances because it makes the pedal more responsive. The E-mode pedal is also very responsive, so it carries the behaviour over between the two modes. I wish there was a way to make the steering a bit less heavy in GTE.

In GTE mode the hybrid system targets a higher battery SOC of around 10-12 miles. Regular hybrid mode targets 2-3 miles. This appears to be to give you more battery charge so you can use boost mode for longer or get more current from the battery. But, it can increase fuel consumption if you are just on the edge of the electric range as the car will burn more petrol to charge the battery up.

I'm not sure but I believe hybrid system power is the same in GTE versus hybrid but 0-60 time & acceleration definitely feels faster, because the gearbox kicks down a lot quicker. The regular hybrid mode feels more like a standard automatic to me, slow to kick down and doesn't like holding onto gears. Boost *is* available in both modes, but you have to jam the pedal to the floor in standard hybrid mode to get it.

Regarding battery use, on long trips, I use e-mode when in traffic or in city centres/motorway services. Low speed cruising or stop-start traffic is ideal for e-mode. The engine, like all engines, is most efficient under high constant load conditions, which motorway cruising provides. That said, if I have extra battery left, I do try to use it as much as possible before reaching my destination.

·
Registered
25 Posts
David - you should qualify for the OLE grant AND the EST Scotland grant. When I got my charger from Chargemaster it fully covered the cost (at that time, OLEV was £500, and EST was 100% of any extra up to another £500). I know it has been cut back but as well as the 'big' suppliers like Polar, Chargemaster etc. you can but a unit yourself and get a suitable sparky to install. If it's still approved one or other of the grants might well cover it.

As for pre-heat - I can't get mine to do this at all. CarNet App definitely recognises my car but just rebounds any request to preheat...

·
Registered
102 Posts
David, welcome! I'm in (currently sunny) Glasgow too and have been through all you have. It's a learning process helped immensely by the clever folk on here.
As you've found pre-heat is the big seller right now. I set a departure time at least 20 minutes before I leave either home (POD point fast-ish charge) or office (standard "Granny" socket) and set the temperature to at least 25 C. Frost is gone and I'm toasty!. I'll get in and leave the heating/aircon off until things cool down a bit which takes a few miles.
Luckily my commute is within the 20 or so indicated miles on the guess-ometer which means 11-12 miles in real life.
Motorway is fine in E unless more than about 2-3 miles. Speed sure is your enemy but use the adaptive cruise if you have it. It's awesome in traffic. Just remember to switch it off at slip roads or when you hit a roundabout you will quickly understand that the car in front controls your speed, and when it leaves your line of sight... resume previous speed is not recommended!

There's loads more but for now, have fun. You'll almost forget what a petrol station looks like.

·
Registered
911 Posts
One further thing, I have tested both GTE and Hybrid. Fuel consumption, once the battery is at its desired level of charge, is the same, provided you drive the car the same. Of course, with the GTE mode, there is no guarantee!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks for that Rich - much appreciated. The Preheating guide was fantastic. The only one small question I have with regards to it was at the very bottom of the guide where you note you make use of 'Economy 7'. Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by this?

Thanks again for sharing the guide :)
My economy 7 is even better the phproxy describes above as my electric meter is faulty and the time on it is wrong, it means my cheap rate comes on at 4:30am and goes off at 11:30am so my car charges at cheap rate ready for first school run at 8:15 then I get back home at 8:45 and stick it on charge to fill battery again for any use later in the day

1 - 19 of 19 Posts