Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

My home charging station is being installed today by Everwarm through the Energy Savings Trust.

The guy called to say he was on site and waiting for my wife to get home. I told him which car I had and he was not sure which head I needed and was going to fit a Type 2 and come back if I found that was wrong once I got home.

I had a look to see for sure but I thought the Ampera was a Type 1/J1772 socket?

I called him and told him to fit a Type 1 plug.. Was I right or have I made a mistake?

Any help appreciated (especially as he is at my house at the moment).

Thanks

Derek

·
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
correct, you need Type 1 ("J1772") for the Ampera :)
Excellent Kevin. Thanks for that and glad I made the right call. Would have been frustrated to arrive home this evening to find I could not plug in!!

Appreciated.

Derek

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I'm surprised they don't have a crib sheet for which charger and which car... sounds daft!
maybe even at least put the cars list on the charger packaging or install sheet?

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have to say I was a little disappointed the engineer was not "clued up" enough to either know or be able to check. His answer was to fit a Type 2 and I'll come back to change if it that's not right! Saying that, when I called him he was happy to install a Type 1 so I assume he was able to install either. Probably used to fitting newer Type 2 sockets as standard I suppose.

Derek

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Probably used to fitting newer Type 2 sockets as standard I suppose.Derek
I'm not sure type 2 is newer.. I think type 2 cars (Leaf) were on sale in the uk before type 1 (Ampera).. (Type 1 is probably first as being US preferred, type 2 being rest of world!) I could be wrong on either/both counts though.

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I'm new to all this and really wasn't sure. I thought Mk 1 Leaf's took Type 1 and the Mk 2 were Type 2. Obviously I don't know what I'm talking about on this. The differing charge rates, plug types and charging speeds are extremely confusing to a newcomer. There does not appear to be any standardisation between manufacturers as yet causing my confusion. I saw a thread the other day which was about CCS and I glazed over slightly (sorry).

Thanks for the help though, I'm just glad I should be able to charge easily when I get home.

Derek

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
There does not appear to be any standardisation between manufacturers as yet
This is everyone's problem you are not alone! and the reason why we cant have nice things (tethered chargers) and must carry leads and in some cases adaptors!
CCS I understand, is the latest rapid charger (for BMW), but is not on the triple headed rapid chargers installed so far...(so does that make it the 4th rapid connector?)

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
AFAIK all Leafs sold in the UK (Gen 1 / Gen 2 etc) are Type 1.

Triple headed rapid chargers are usually Type 2 + ChaDeMo + CCS.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I hope you mean J1772 plug on the charger Derek :) It's the car that has the socket....

Reactions: Derekosb

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Doh!! Told you I was new at this and didn't know what I was talking about!! (I've now corrected my mistake)

Plug, Socket?? Same difference.............. :oops: :oops:

Obviously I hope the engineer fitting the charge station knew what I meant..... :D :D

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pleased to say my car made it home on battery power (with 4 miles range to spare) and is now charging connected to my new Home Charge Point:

Decided to put it inside the garage and run the cable under the door. I should really empty the garage of all my junk and actually put the car inside.

Derek

Reactions: Big Paul

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You can put a car ... inside a garage?! But where would you put the bike, lawnmower, DIY stuff, second freezer, tins of paint that have gone solid, gardening gear, workbench, tools, fifty assorted jam jars full of rusty screws and ..........

Reactions: Big Paul

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know, I know. It really is ridiculous the junk we all keep. I've ended up worse than ever as I have a double garage. Only day a car has ever been inside was the day we bought the house (6 years ago) when it was empty.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I charge my Ampera at night inside my garage as I feel that the expected mileage is higher with the car tucked up cosily without the cold night air, frost and wind wafting around the battery.

Derek, if those large doors are in the sun during the day, the average temperature inside the garage would be higher than outside, it may be best to clear one side of the garage and possibly gain a slightly higher mileage. Could be worth the experiment.

My worst expected charge this winter was in the high twenties, now it is in the high thirtees to low forties.

I'm probably wrong in my assumption, if so I still have the benefit of getting into my car and drive off without having scrape ice or wipe the windows, plus it stays clean without being lashed by rain and is more secure without the threat of vandalism.

Thank you for your post Derek, enjoy your Ampera, I'm sure you will.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,509 Posts
I wonder if it is different suppliers/installers for different areas? My unit, also through the EST, is a Rolec and fitted by SSE. That was in August last year, a week before I picked up my Ampera.

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I charge my Ampera at night inside my garage as I feel that the expected mileage is higher with the car tucked up cosily without the cold night air, frost and wind wafting around the battery.

Derek, if those large doors are in the sun during the day, the average temperature inside the garage would be higher than outside, it may be best to clear one side of the garage and possibly gain a slightly higher mileage. Could be worth the experiment.
Thanks Brian, you know I think I will try and get the car inside!! Ridiculous concept I know, putting a car actually in a garage!! :D

I wonder if it is different suppliers/installers for different areas? My unit, also through the EST, is a Rolec and fitted by SSE. That was in August last year, a week before I picked up my Ampera.
There does seem to be multiple options, however my whole step into EV ownership was "sparked" by one of my tenants (Eco Energy) taking on the ability to organise Home Charger installations. They don't do the installation, they simply organise the job, using Everwarm for the install and EST for the funding.

I had the option of the free home charger through Vauxhall/British Gas but decided to help my tenant by giving him the job.

Derek

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,

My home charging station is being installed today by Everwarm through the Energy Savings Trust.

The guy called to say he was on site and waiting for my wife to get home. I told him which car I had and he was not sure which head I needed and was going to fit a Type 2 and come back if I found that was wrong once I got home.

I had a look to see for sure but I thought the Ampera was a Type 1/J1772 socket?

I called him and told him to fit a Type 1 plug.. Was I right or have I made a mistake?

Any help appreciated (especially as he is at my house at the moment).

Thanks

Derek
I also had my charging station installed through Everwarm. I requested a 7kW type 1. On the day of my install the engineer had been given a 3kW for me, but luckily had a 7kW in his van so was able to install (although the keys would have to be supplied later). They then swapped it for a new unit, but it was a Type 2. I'm now waiting for confirmation a Type 1 has been picked up from Newcastle brought up so I can have it replaced today.

I can't fault their engineers, but the back office needs some improvement!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Great encouragement from Scottish EV office in Edinburgh amd BM who fitted Rolec charger for my Ampera at NO cost this may be suspended awaiting additional funds check in Scotland before you proceed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts